Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Tim C
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/07

Loc: Marietta, GA
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: Ed D]
      #4788961 - 09/04/11 05:58 PM

Don't see much about this scope... I had just ordered one from Amazon a couple of days ago for use as a guide scope. I'm using a lightweight SSAG so hoping the focuser is stiff enough to prevent flex problems.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: Tim C]
      #4791048 - 09/05/11 06:51 PM

The focuser has a couple of allen adjustment screws on the top, along with the chromed thumb screw. I looked up the weight of the SSAG (4oz), and it's the same as my 25mm Sirius Plossl EP. The EP works great, and I believe you won't be using the diagonal with the auto-guider, making it lighter yet.

Ed D

Tim C
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/11/07

Loc: Marietta, GA
      #4795117 - 09/07/11 06:52 PM

Received it today. The focuser is plenty stiff enough for the ssag. This should make an excellent lightweight guidescope.

shivaram

Reged: 11/26/08

Loc: Bangalore, India.
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review [Re: Ed D]
      #4911901 - 11/12/11 12:20 PM

Nice review! Very good photos of the Moon through a Digicam!

BTW, I know that this scope is not big enough for faint objects but would it be possible to also list out what all DSO's you could use this scope for?

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/11

Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: shivaram]
      #6001355 - 08/01/13 11:51 AM

Hi ....interested in this as finder and mini RFT sitting on my 180mm Mak. What's the OD of the main tube and if anyone could wieght the OTA only, no EPs or diagonal, I'd be grateful!
And any follow up on what you've be doing with yours...
Thanks
Bob

johnthomas

Reged: 10/18/11

Loc: Oklahoma City
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: spongebob@55]
      #6001470 - 08/01/13 02:51 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

I use one of these for a finder on my Newt. I love it.

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: johnthomas]
      #6001484 - 08/01/13 02:58 PM

Thanks johnthomas,
could you give me the OD of the main OTA is? I want to know if I have any rings I could use.

johnthomas

#6001570 - 08/01/13 03:56 PM

76mm is what a quick check with some calipers show. I could be off a mm or so since my calipers were a little small to reach all the way down... I had some rings I had bought for this scope (105mm, $20 on amazon), but when figuring in a quick release bracket/shoe, I ended up buying the one shown from Astronomics. It cost way more than the scope. I paid about $45 for the whole travel scope "kit" on amazon about 1.5 years ago... (higher now) & the bracket/shoe/rings cost about $100.

There's a guy on ebay who's buying these kits & parting them out... I think he's asking about $45 for the scope by itself. I bought a 50mm version for my 114mm newt. ($25). The difference between the 50 & 70's light gathering ability is amazing. I use a 40mm eyepiece for a nice wide fov.

Edited by johnthomas (08/01/13 04:11 PM)

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

#6002192 - 08/01/13 09:51 PM

Quote:

76mm is what a quick check with some calipers show. I could be off a mm or so since my calipers were a little small to reach all the way down... I had some rings I had bought for this scope (105mm, $20 on amazon), but when figuring in a quick release bracket/shoe, I ended up buying the one shown from Astronomics. It cost way more than the scope. I paid about $45 for the whole travel scope "kit" on amazon about 1.5 years ago... (higher now) & the bracket/shoe/rings cost about $100.

There's a guy on ebay who's buying these kits & parting them out... I think he's asking about $45 for the scope by itself. I bought a 50mm version for my 114mm newt. ($25). The difference between the 50 & 70's light gathering ability is amazing. I use a 40mm eyepiece for a nice wide fov.

JonThomas- Thanks so much for the picture! It really shows the reality of the situation. I have a set of 96mm ID rings, but will need the right shoe.
That guy selling the OTA only is just what I'm looking for. I have diagonal and a 40mm to use too.
Do you ever look at brighter objects with it? The CA got to be pretty bad, huh?
Is the tube metal? The focuser is plastic, right? And the lens is what?
Thanks again.
Bob

johnthomas

#6002782 - 08/02/13 08:45 AM

Quote:

JonThomas- Thanks so much for the picture! It really shows the reality of the situation. I have a set of 96mm ID rings, but will need the right shoe.
That guy selling the OTA only is just what I'm looking for. I have diagonal and a 40mm to use too.
Do you ever look at brighter objects with it? The CA got to be pretty bad, huh?
Is the tube metal? The focuser is plastic, right? And the lens is what?
Thanks again.
Bob

I'm really happy with quick release bracket I got from astronomics. Even though it was pretty pricey in comparison to the scope... it's super nice to be able to release it & put it back on & KNOW that it's going to be very, very close to it's adjusted alignment (objects centered on finder still centered vis-a-vis the "main" scope). Check with Astronomics on current pricing if your interested... might show them that photo.. I'm sure you know they own/sponsor cloudy nights.

The OTA's tube is metal, the focuser is plastic.. but it's solid enough, really. Re: CA. I notice it if looking at a full moon, but then again, I rarely look at a full moon since its soooo bright.. also, since I'm only using it as a finder I'm looking thru it for 10sec-45seconds at a time mostly. The lens is an air-spaced duplet. I had to take mine out one time for cleaning after leaving it out after observing & getting caught by surprise rain shower. (ouch!)

If you've ever used a 50mm finder, you will really be happy with this one in comparison. I look thru the 50mm finder one my little newt & feel like someone turned the lights off on the stars.

Here's the whole setup with tripod & bag for $60

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestron-Travel-Scope-70-Portable-Refractor-Telescop...

Here's the guy I was talking about who part's 'em out. OTA only for $45:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestron-70mm-Rich-Field-Refractor-OTA-Short-Compact...

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

#6019653 - 08/11/13 08:20 PM

I purchased and received the scope. But the objective cell retaining ring had vibrated loose in shipment, and the glass fell out,bounced around and in the process, was chipped and scratched. I'm now awaiting a replacement. I noted that the glass edges were not blackened, so I'll be doing that once the replacement arrives. Plus, I have some leftover focuser strip teflon and tube flocking, so I'll do this too. (I love messin' with scopes). Ordered a mounting foot from Stellarvue so that should enable me to mount on my 180mm Mak and use as a super finder/RFT.
Thanks for all the input.
Bob

spongebob@55
scholastic sledgehammer

#6046637 - 08/26/13 09:48 AM

Has anyone been able to star test your 70mm to see how the collimation is? I tried last night under very bad conditions, and wasn't able to see more than the outside 2 concentric rings.... There was a small bit of flaring on brighter stars, but the dimmer stars were fine. Saturn was not visible from my back yard b/c of trees. All in all, keeping it in perspective, its a $44 shipped mostly plastic beginners scope.....

Mister T.

Reged: 09/15/09

Loc: Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
      #6047421 - 08/26/13 05:48 PM

One more version of the Travel Scope 70 finder...

PICT0028 by Gavno The Ugly, on Flickr

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: Mister T.]
      #6047548 - 08/26/13 07:15 PM

I have a National Geographic branded version of the Celestron 70mm Travel Scope. I bought it about five years ago from Ollie's for about $25 with a cheapie mount. Unfortunately, the focuser was for 0.965" eyepieces. I found an inexpensive 1.25" focuser to swap into it. I also bought rings to mount it, and an Orion Illuminated eyepiece. I already had a true RACI prism diagonal. I prefer a completely natural orientation for finders. I can't stand a reversed image when I'm star hopping.

I've been using this little scope as a great optical finder on my 10" Dob. It also serves as a very nice rich field telescope in tandem with the 10".

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: shivaram]
      #6047558 - 08/26/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

BTW, I know that this scope is not big enough for faint objects but would it be possible to also list out what all DSO's you could use this scope for?

That would be a very long list...

Mike

charonpr

Reged: 11/09/08

Loc: Plymouth, UK
Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6058597 - 09/02/13 01:42 AM

Iíve recently bought this and I'm really keen for optimising it as much as possible, but as cheaply as possible Ė Iím a mature student on a very restrictive budget. Is it worth purchasing barrow and diagonal lenses for this scope? Or are the improvements so marginal as to make them fairly worthless.
Also, I have a pain condition with my neck/back, and find looking through this scope when itís at vertical a nightmare! Is there an attachment to enable a more side on viewing (if that makes sense?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Paul

charonpr

Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: charonpr]
      #6058605 - 09/02/13 01:56 AM

Nevermind the second question - just read up on the 90 degree diagonal, and this looks like it will really help with my neck issues.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#6058724 - 09/02/13 05:56 AM

If you want to star hop in order to find star clusters and other objects with this refractor, it would be easier for you if you get an Amici prism diagonal. That will save your neck, and also give the image a natural orientation, not upside down or reversed. A natural view makes it much easier - for ME at least - to star hop using a star atlas or chart. A regular diagonal will make the image rightside up, but will reverse right to left.

On the other hand, an Amici prism diagonal is not so good if you want to try to push the magnification on the 70mm scope. It will not give as sharp an image at higher power as a good standard diagonal. But this isn't the type of scope that is best for high power viewing. It is best for lower power, wide field views.

Mike

charonpr

Re: Celestron 70mm Travel Scope Review new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6061012 - 09/03/13 12:58 PM

Thanks for the advice Mike. I'll look into Amici prism diagonal.

Cheers :-)

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
      #6061052 - 09/03/13 01:31 PM

I also own this scope ... great value for the money! If you're looking to save money ... buy the Meade Deluxe Economy Mirror Diagonal from Telescope Warehouse on eBay for $7.95 + $3.50 shipping ... he does ship to the UK:

Meade deluxe economy 90 1.25" telescope star diagonal

For a very inexpensive diagonal the overall quality is surprisingly very good ... I bought one for my 70mm Travel Scope. I tested it and found the collimation was near perfect. I also tried it at over 200X on another refractor and the image in this scope was virtually identical when compared to the one when used with a much more expensive diagonal!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11584

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics