Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Spacetravelerx
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: Taylor]
      #5854473 - 05/11/13 10:10 PM

Well, to get back on topic ;-)

I find the SkySafari/Skyfi combo quite a great kit. So easy to use, and the folks at outreach events find it very welcoming to the hobby.

Most amazing thing to me about it? It was able to work with a 22+ year old mount, 10" LX200, right out of the box with an up-to-date and modern iPad. That is impressive! Seamless integration of old and new.

Next up - when I will soon be testing SkySafari/Skyfi with the LX850. God, I hope I do not break anything!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: MAURITS]
      #5855282 - 05/12/13 11:33 AM

Quote:

I use the Handheld Algiz 7 handcontroler with SkyTools3.

Very nice, but wow is that thing expensive.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #5855314 - 05/12/13 11:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This post was resurrected from the dead..

Guilty as charged.

I was looking through old threads to see if people were using SkySafari with Gemini and didn't find the answer (yet). I thought asking about it here may be more productive than starting a new thread, and an enjoyable retrospective.

Or perhaps not

Jeff,

Actually, I am using Sky Safari (with a SkyWire connection) with my Gemini I GM-8 and love it.

I also have DSC on my mount and the feedback loop is what sold me on this combo. After I have aligned, I can put the old Gemini hand paddle down and go with the iPad for everything else. Plus, if I want to loosen the clutches and move the scope by hand, the target on the iPad follows me and I don't lose alignment or anything.

This has basically returned my old Losmandy/Gemini from its exile in the basement and it's now as much fun to use this mount as it is to use my Mach 1.

Cheers,

Ron

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: RAKing]
      #5855406 - 05/12/13 12:36 PM

I've been using Skyfi with sky safari alternating between an iPod touch and an iPad mini on a CGEM and on an AP Mach 1. Besides being great in itself, it allows mounts with very different control concepts to be controlled the same way.

And Tim at Southern Stars even fixed a bug where sky safari used to send "Sync" to AP mounts instead of RCAL (collisions ensue) When I pointed it out. You can't beat that!

-Rich

frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5855499 - 05/12/13 01:35 PM

sky safari is the best even if just used as a map with a manual dob but now that i've got a CG-5 coming you bet getting my tablet hooked up to the mount is going to be pretty high on my priority list

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: frito]
      #5855800 - 05/12/13 03:46 PM

The Main Sequence guys also have a program called WIFI scope that's free and does what you're asking.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: RAKing]
      #5857104 - 05/13/13 10:00 AM

Quote:

Actually, I am using Sky Safari (with a SkyWire connection) with my Gemini I GM-8 and love it.

I also have DSC on my mount and the feedback loop is what sold me on this combo. After I have aligned, I can put the old Gemini hand paddle down and go with the iPad for everything else. Plus, if I want to loosen the clutches and move the scope by hand, the target on the iPad follows me and I don't lose alignment or anything.

This has basically returned my old Losmandy/Gemini from its exile in the basement and it's now as much fun to use this mount as it is to use my Mach 1.

Cheers,

Ron

Thanks Ron! Exactly what I was hoping for. Now that you mention it, with the smaller scale of a German EQ (vs. a large Dob) a SkyWire would be just fine. This would allow me to leave the SkyFi permanently attached to the Dob.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
      #5857905 - 05/13/13 04:43 PM

I used WifiScope for the first time on Saturday night for several hours. I have a Windows 8 laptop running the ASCOM stuff connected to my AP900 mount. I launch WifiScope on the Windows 8 laptop. I used SkySafari on my iPad and later on my Macbook Pro to control the mount. I was using the GOTO and ALIGN buttons on SkySafari. The Astro-Physics ASCOM driver converts the SYNC request from the ALIGN button to RECAL request on the mount.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: Gary.McK]
      #5858299 - 05/13/13 06:39 PM

Quote:

I use the android versiion of Skysafari. With this you can use a dirt cheap bluetooth to serial connector on the scope end and connect via bluetooth from any android device easily. Can't do this with an Ipad/Iphone...one reason I'm getting an android tablet.
cheers
Gary

It works with an ipad/iphone. I have been using an wisnap for about a year now. You just need to know how to configure serial over bluetooth. About the same setup as seial over wifi. You just just use a com emulation app on the iphone... which means jailbreak.. which means I can not talk about this anymore..

You could also use Arduino and bluetooth 4.0

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #5859206 - 05/14/13 06:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks Ron! Exactly what I was hoping for. Now that you mention it, with the smaller scale of a German EQ (vs. a large Dob) a SkyWire would be just fine. This would allow me to leave the SkyFi permanently attached to the Dob.

Jeff,

I originally bought the SkyFi at NEAF in 2010, but didn't really know how to use it. Ninety nine percent of the time I am sitting within a couple feet of my scope and I eventually sent the SkyFi to a friend of mine who is far more Mac-literate and could actually use the doggone thing.

Then my wife won an iPad and we started learning to speak "Mac". I picked up the SkyWire and she downloaded Sky Safari just so we could see if it worked. It does.

I have a few pieces of Manfrotto gaffer gear (clamp and arms) that allow me to attach the iPad to my tripod and move it around easily. So I can sit close to my scope and still push my fingers around the iPad screen at the same time. Wireless might be nice, but it's not really necessary for me.

Cheers,

Ron

payner
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5860557 - 05/14/13 05:33 PM

Quote:

Dave,
The only one on the list that's baffling is the Vixen SXW. I understand you have to use a router

I noticed on Dave's mount list the Vixen Star Book. I imagine that would be the selection to use with a "New Atlux," correct?

Best,
Randy

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: payner]
      #5862672 - 05/15/13 05:22 PM

Does Sky Safari now work correctly with AP GTO mounts? Also, how difficult is it to set up the wireless version compared to a wired version (Ipad 4)? And thanks for resurrecting this thread!!!

LLEEGE
True Blue

Reged: 03/03/05

Loc: Cloud-chester,NY
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: Aquarist]
      #5862683 - 05/15/13 05:27 PM

I have used SS with my AP900 for over a year now. Never had a problem. Wasn't aware there were any issues with using it with the AP mounts.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7044

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics