Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
Re: Discovery vs. Zambuto Optical Shoot-out [Re: ScumotheUniverse]
      #4987293 - 12/27/11 05:35 PM

Quote:

Justifying Zambuto's decision not to use enhanced coatings. Apparently his rationale for using only standard coatings. Or at least that is what he used to say. Is he still recommending standard coatings only? I belong to the ZOC yahoo group, but have not kept up with the most recent posts.

Carl Zambuto is not the only mirror maker who uses standard coatings.

I had a long discussion about this with another one of the top quality mirror makers. He told he that he would use enhanced coatings if the cutomer demanded it, but he considered it a "matter of pride as an optician" that he could create a mirror good enough that you wouldn't need any enhancements. He asked me to test his mirror with the standard coatings and if I didn't think it was good enough, he would fix it.

I haven't talked to Carl about this, but I suspect his philosophy is similar. My last two mirrors have come from Zambuto with standard coatings. The view through the eyepiece speaks for itself.

Cheers,

Ron

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6623

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics