Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
gapalp
sage

Reged: 02/16/10

Loc: Georgia
Re: AT65EDQ and triangle stars new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5004424 - 01/06/12 03:25 PM

Sorry David you couldn't get the results you wanted. Mine could have went either way. I didn't have any experience in this stuff either. Do you plan on exchanging or going with something different?

Jrcrilly, that's about the way my stars look now so your image validates where my optics are at with the adjustments. Thanks for the sample.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Ault
sage

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: Georgetown, TX
Re: AT65EDQ and triangle stars new [Re: gapalp]
      #5004519 - 01/06/12 04:35 PM

I was definitely sorry to see it go. The pictures I had taken with it had lots of potential. I haven't decided on exchanging it for another AT65EDQ or going with something else for wide fields. I think if OPT can confirm that it has been quality checked, or check it themselves before shipping it, I'll consider another one. They guys from OPT were very nice and said I could wait until it arrived (next Wednesday) to decide if I just wanted to return it, exchange it or try something else.

Regards,
David

CapnRon

Reged: 03/03/09

Loc: NC
Re: AT65EDQ and triangle stars new [Re: David Ault]
      #5004923 - 01/06/12 09:40 PM

I am waiting to hear from OPT as to what they think I should do with mine. They are looking at the pictures I sent them to see what they think the issue is.

thanks for the heads up on this.

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: AT65EDQ and triangle stars new [Re: CapnRon]
      #5005023 - 01/06/12 10:39 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

I really suggest that you guy's give them a shot at getting it straight. These are great little scopes with a nice FOV. If OPT or Astronomics or who ever you got them from can solve this for you, you will still be ahead with this scope. to get anything else that is a quad design with the native flat field it's going to cost much more. If you get another small scope that requires a field flattener to be added to the focuser; now you have extended length and added leverage to cause you other issues like a sagging focus mechanism. I understand the frustration of trying to improve your results, and fighting an optical issue is no fun. You're drawn to the flaw every time you open up photoshop. I've battled issues with the QHY9 and had to ship it to the maufacturer in china no less. I lost some really nice data to the flaw that is now repaired...but now the sky is being completely "un-cooperative", and I may not get anymore shots on the targets I want until next year. It's all a learning experience!

here is an example of data gathered with two different CCD's on the AT65EDQ. One was a QHY8, the other was a QHY9. Sal(SGT500) processed the data from the QHY8 and then I added the QHY9 data to it after the fact.

CapnRon

Re: AT65EDQ and triangle stars new [Re: zerro1]
      #5009588 - 01/09/12 07:57 PM

OPT has vowed to help me resolve the possible issue with mine. They have first suggested that it might be a associated with focuser sagg and would like me to take a couple of pictures on either side of the meridian. I think this is a reasonable possibility as I have an 8300M SBIG, filterwheel, slim OAG and a Lodestar hanging off the focuser. Although, I only have to back it out about 5/8" to achieve focus. Still I will take the pictures once our skies clear (we need the rain).

I very much want to keep this scope (or its equivelant) because I do like the relatively wide field views it provides and ease of tracking on the CGEM mount.

Happy New Year all,
Ron

CapnRon

#5009611 - 01/09/12 08:19 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Robert,
I am new at this level of AP and my capture and processing techniques have a long way to go. But I also appreciate the scale of the imaging of this scope.

David Ault
sage

#5009645 - 01/09/12 08:37 PM

Mine was definitely a problem with the scope and not fixable (by me at least). I really liked the scope in all other respects and with everyone's help on Cloudy Nights, I finally decided to ask OPT to exchange it. I also asked them to confirm that the quality control card had been filled out and signed as well as doing an artificial star test before shipping it too me. They were very helpful and willing to work with me, so my replacement scope should be shipping out later in the week after they receive the defective one.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there are no problems with this one by the time it gets to me.

Thanks,
David

zerro1
Postmaster

#5009909 - 01/09/12 11:39 PM

Quote:

Robert,
I am new at this level of AP and my capture and processing techniques have a long way to go. But I also appreciate the scale of the imaging of this scope.

I spent pretty much the last 2 years expending most my effort on data collection. I figured if I didn't have that part figured out, I wouln't have anything worth processing anyway. So now I struggle with processing. If it wasn't for Sal, Tonk, and Jerry, wouldn't have what few processing skills I do have.

You're ahead of me working with Mono/filter imaging. I'll be on OSC and DSLR for some time to come

CapnRon

#5011587 - 01/11/12 12:16 AM

Robert,
I have a long list of people to thank here also, but I have not kept track of their names! Originally I was planning on going the DSLR route, what not to like about using one camera body for multiple tasks. What scared me off was the size of the image files and the concern about storing, manipulating and processing all that data. I figured the mono data was more manigable and you could bin the sensor when you needed to. And I have to admit the purist in me said that mono data with filters was the historical approach. I also have to thank people for steering me into a starting with a short focal length scope. The C9.25 I originally purchased collects a lot of light and looks impressive, but I would be still trying to get past 30 second exposures (if that) if I had not purchased the AT65EDQ to work my way slowly into tracking and guiding. I think your signiture line should read "The more I learn, the less I know I know!"

zerro1
Postmaster

#5011600 - 01/11/12 12:28 AM

I know

CapnRon

#5021650 - 01/16/12 08:43 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Why I don't think it is focuser sagg on the AT65EDQ.
First, my camera arrangement is pretty tight and is held well by the focuser. The SBIG is threaded directly to the filter wheel, the OAG mounts on the filter wheel, there is 25mm long adapter on the OAG that is held by a centering Bader ClickLock adapter. The ClickLock has an almost 2" long extension barrel that slides into the focuser and is clamped by two screws on opposing compression rings. All of the screws on the focuser are tight and I don't sense any motion of the cameras by hand.

CapnRon

#5021663 - 01/16/12 08:51 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

The above picture was taken with the cameras mounted on my C5, but the arrangement is the same on the AT65EDQ.

Second. I took images East and West of the Meridian, as suggested by OPT (their resident imagers). I imaged Bellatrix, Menkar and Menkib on the evening of the 12th. Bellatrix was at Alt 140 deg from my location, Menkar was at 220 deg. Menkib was also West of the Meridian but nearly at my Zenith. I imaged at exposures up to 20 seconds without tracking or guiding (all exposures look similar, just some better than others naturally). Here is what the raw data (Dark Subtracted) looks like for the three fields (note: I cropped similar magnitude stars from each field) for the 10 second exposures.

CapnRon

#5021672 - 01/16/12 08:57 PM

All three images produce the same shape (as far as I can tell) even though the cameras were in three different orientations; for Bellatrix it was lying on its right side, for Menkar it was lying on its left side and for Menkib it was lying almost on its back. So, if I have this right in my mind (and that is always a question at my age). It seems that it is something locked into the imaging train that is producing this effect and not somthing that is shifting as the scope moves around.

I have sent this off to OPT and they are looking at the raw data on DropBox, to make their own determination.

Any comments or suggestions here are welcome, I will wait and see where this goes from here.

Ron

zerro1
Postmaster

#5021717 - 01/16/12 09:16 PM

Quote:

All three images produce the same shape (as far as I can tell) even though the cameras were in three different orientations; for Bellatrix it was lying on its right side, for Menkar it was lying on its left side and for Menkib it was lying almost on its back. So, if I have this right in my mind (and that is always a question at my age). It seems that it is something locked into the imaging train that is producing this effect and not somthing that is shifting as the scope moves around.

I have sent this off to OPT and they are looking at the raw data on DropBox, to make their own determination.

Any comments or suggestions here are welcome, I will wait and see where this goes from here.

Ron

Hope they get it figured out..

Sent you a PM

David Ault
sage

#5024016 - 01/18/12 01:30 AM

Just got my replacement scope today. OPT did an artificial star test before shipping it to me and said it looked good. I did my own test first thing and found the same result so, I was excited to try it out. I did some short exposures on a bright open cluster and found triangle stars again. Feeling disheartened I decided I had nothing to loose by adjusting the retaining rings. This time I had a little more experience and knew that if I let the ring slip to far I'd be back in potato star country, so I very carefully loosened the ring on the primary optics a millimeter at a time until I saw no further improvement. At this point I still had a triangle stars with two points of the triangle almost in line with the star centroid. Now I started on the retaining ring of the flattener and the ends of the triangles slowly got closer to the centroid until I ended up with stars that were as round as I could perceive. The best case test image showed a FWHM of 2.97 and and aspect ratio of 11. So, I am now a happy camper! Now to actually start imaging with it. Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Thanks,
David

David Ault
sage

#5024411 - 01/18/12 10:20 AM

For those that are interested, here's my first real image with the new AT65EDQ:

http://astrobin.com/3795/

In this longer exposure I'm starting to notice some star distortion again. I may loosen the retaining ring of the flattener just a bit more (after waiting until the scope is cold). Even after all the adjustments I made last night the rings are still extremely tight. I just have to be careful and not let anything slip.

gapalp
sage

#5028984 - 01/20/12 04:15 PM

Stinks a different AT65EDQ needing the same adjustments. Let us know if you make anymore and the results. The stars do look good in the pic but I do see what you are talking about.

I haven't had a chance to image with mine since my testing. Weather and sick babies

David Ault
sage

Re: AT65EDQ and triangle stars new [Re: gapalp]
      #5029488 - 01/20/12 09:21 PM

I did get some time a couple nights ago to do some actual imaging with the new scope, but I've been busy with work so I haven't had a chance to post. Here are the two images I was able to take:

http://astrobin.com/3875/
http://astrobin.com/3873/

This was after one additional minor adjustment with the retaining ring on the flattener.

Regards,
David

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/08

#5029525 - 01/20/12 09:49 PM

Looks like it's all patched up.

gapalp
sage

#5030502 - 01/21/12 01:39 PM

Yep, looks like you are in business now!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2666

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics