Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Gordon Rayner]
      #5152495 - 04/01/12 11:08 PM Attachment (60 downloads)

Hi folks:

Been a while since my last Bino acquisition. I look every time I go to our local swap meets. Today, there seemed to be a LOT of binoculars at the PCC swap meet in Pasadena, though the first bunch I saw were nothing special, and priced too high. Then, I came across a guy with two pairs of 7x50 military binos. One was Navy, the other marines. Both were in very good condition with cases and straps intact. The seller wanted something like $329 for the marine binos, and over $450, I think for the navys. Seems like a lot for those, but I really am pretty clueless when it comes to binocular values. I try to stay below about 20 or 30 bucks , though I gladly paid about $80 for a pair of Nippon Kogaku "occupied" binos I found on ebay and posted in the previous vintage thread.

Just down the row and on the other side from the military bino guy, I cam across a guy with several pairs of binos, all different, and in varying stages of completion and condition. Oh, and he must be a chain smoker, because everything smells strongly of old ash trays! I only bought 3 pairs. One I passed up was a pair of Navy 8x30s (I think) that were really cool looking, but someone had tightened one of the eyepiece covers and shattered the lens - or so it appeared (but now I'm wondering if maybe the cement had separated? would it look like that?).

Here's the first of the 3 that I did buy. I paid $40 for all three (please forgive the iphone pics. My DSLR is downstairs, around the house, and in my shop somewhere!):

Hensoldt/Wetslar Jagd-Dyalit 6x42 and case:

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim53
Postmaster

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: tim53]
      #5152503 - 04/01/12 11:14 PM Attachment (58 downloads)

^These look pretty terrible, though the grip material is in pretty good condition, most of the paint missing is due to oxidation of aluminum (?) parts underneath. The view through these surprised me - decent field of view and pretty sharp almost all the way to the edge. The seller said he thought they were WWII German military. They seem older than that to me, but maybe only because they're so filthy. One of the lens retaining rings is missing on the left objective. The lens appears held in by a pice of cardboard that looks like it's wedged in there pretty good - as if it were built that way? The other retainer seems to be thin metal and pressed in, so maybe there's a piece of cardboard under it as well? Focus was smooth and not a struggle. Here's the eye end, with text:

tim53
Postmaster

#5152509 - 04/01/12 11:16 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

The objective end. The seller assured me that it wasn't HIM who wrote the $10 price on the objective lens! I've not removed it, because I want to make sure I use the right solvent. I don't want to damage the coatings, if there are any, with the wrong solvent. Any recommendations?

tim53
Postmaster

#5152522 - 04/01/12 11:25 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

The second pair of binoculars I chose to buy was this nice pair of 7x50 Ofuna "occupied" binoculars. The view through these was pretty nice, though I could see that there was something wrong in the left eye that I couldn't make out. I just looked down through the objective at my nightstand lamp and there's a pronouced clamshell chip in one of the prisms, apparently, because it's not in the objective and it doesn't rotate with the eyepiece. DARN! The binocular is otherwise in decent condition. Can a replacement prism be located??

tim53
Postmaster

#5152530 - 04/01/12 11:33 PM Attachment (73 downloads)

This third pair is my favorite of the 3, and is in the best condition. Hartmann-Optik/Wetzlar 117 Lichtmetall Porlerim 8x30 wide:

tim53
Postmaster

#5152538 - 04/01/12 11:36 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

Again, sorry everything is so dirty still. Here's the front view of these. I found them to be nice and wide field, and sharp almost all the way out to the edge. Very light as well:

FrankL
sage

Reged: 07/30/09

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
      #5152548 - 04/01/12 11:42 PM

Try acetone. It won't hurt coatings but I'm sure that these binoculars are not coated anyway. Don't get the acetone on any paint or plastic pieces. Also just apply it to the markings and don't let any run into the edge of the lens where it fits into the housing.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: FrankL]
      #5153286 - 04/02/12 02:00 PM

Agree, remove the writing with anything, these bins arn't coated.
The 7x50 once cleaned should be a good binocular I have a similar model to this somewhere.
The 8x30 Hartmann looks similar to mine, but yours has larger eye lenses similar to the Noctovist 8x30.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binoculars/3366053226/in/set-72157623266727225/
Great finds, will you service them yourself?

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Simon S]
      #5153733 - 04/02/12 07:13 PM

Hi Simon:

Well, I probably will, but I have yet to take any of my binoculars apart! One pair I wouldn't mind experimenting with is a ~1979 pair of 12x80 Meades. They've got a noticeably curved field when used in the daytime, but were decent for dark sky observing. They have a nasty habit of easily getting out of alignment. A late friend of mine worked on them a couple of times, and I remember him saying that the way the prisms were mounted made it difficult to keep them aligned. I haven't used them in several years, since they were misaligned last time I tried.

Or, I might take a pair of the 7x35 Tasco zips apart, since I have two pair (one mint, one missing a couple parts), and using the optics to make a pair of finderscopes.

I don't want to take apart any of the "good" ones until I've practiced on the cheap ones first.

-Tim.

mercedes_sl1970
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/02/05

Loc: Canberra, Oz
      #5153949 - 04/02/12 10:41 PM Attachment (64 downloads)

Hi - I had one of the take-a-breath moments last week when I found this Zeiss 8x56 B in a secondhand shop for $20. How could I say no?

They are in surprisingly good shape - the rubber is intact, some rubbing on the metal is various places, focusing is fine, the hinge is firm, no scratches and are very clean inside. The views are very sharp on axis but ever so slightly washed out - no doubt a function of the coatings and lack of phase coating. That said, they are just so nice to use - and they are probably the only Zeiss I will ever be able to afford!

From what I can work out on the web, this one would be from around 1969-70? This is based on the fact that it has the old Zeiss logo and from what is said on this site: Binos Explained

Appreciate any thoughts on the dating.

From a happy camper.

Andrew

Edited by mercedes_sl1970 (04/02/12 10:57 PM)

mercedes_sl1970
professor emeritus

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: mercedes_sl1970]
      #5153968 - 04/02/12 10:54 PM Attachment (67 downloads)

Just a couple more photos...

Andrew

mercedes_sl1970
professor emeritus

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: mercedes_sl1970]
      #5153970 - 04/02/12 10:56 PM Attachment (48 downloads)

Oh yes - they are "Made in Germany".

Andrew

brentwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/05

Loc: BC Canada
      #5154010 - 04/02/12 11:40 PM

I thought I made some real steals over the years from Pawn & junk shops, but I think this beats them all, well done!

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: brentwood]
      #5154760 - 04/03/12 01:46 PM

Andrew, please don't come on here telling me things like this! I get very very jealous!
Fantastic find, congratulations!

mercedes_sl1970
professor emeritus

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Simon S]
      #5155754 - 04/04/12 07:44 AM

Simon and Brentwood - I've been a regular reader and admirer of all the binoculars on this thread. It's just been nice to be able to contribute once or twice in a few years...

Andrew

dougspeterson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/01/04

Loc: SANTA ANA, CA
      #5158030 - 04/05/12 05:44 PM

That Zeiss grab is one of the best once-in-a-life deals. But I may have one even better: A friend in a desert "antique" store was asked what he was looking for, he said optics and the owner pulled out a couple of dusty lenses, one a 4.5" achromat in a brass cell, and an 8" achromat of unknown make. They both turned out to be telescope objectives. The 8" in particular had a fine f13.5 planetary wavefront, he measured it on his interferometer, and it now stands on a byers mount and 300lb roll out pier. The price? 75 bucks. My friend said how about 50 and that's what he got them for!

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: dougspeterson]
      #5161188 - 04/07/12 06:23 PM Attachment (61 downloads)

My latest 60's binocular is this 7x50 made by Canon.
It is in near perfect condition, clean internally and has a good bright view. The usual stiff focus and dioptre controls were eased with the application of some light oil.
The setting of the IPD is very critical on this binocular, a slight misalignment results in fairly vivid CA.
There is no vignetting to the exit pupil suggesting Canon used crown glass in the prisms the view is well corrected and is sharp to around 75% FOV.
I think it's optical performance is inferior to a 7x50 East Zeiss of the same era, but not by much.

hallelujah
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/14/06

Loc: North Star over Colorado
Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) [Re: Simon S]
      #5161193 - 04/07/12 06:27 PM

Simon,

Very, very nice indeed.

It looks familiar. I must have seen one on ebay.

Stan

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) [Re: hallelujah]
      #5185022 - 04/22/12 04:10 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

I just got a pair of "nothing special" Japanese 7x50s from ebay this week.

They're Baylor 7x50s, and the photos looked like they were in good condition, though the ad stated that they smelled like cigarette smoke. They do!

But they are in good condition. I haven't tried them at night yet, but did look outside at some trees in the distance. I find them to have a sharp but typically somewhat narrow field - typical of the 60s 7x50s I've had before. But the image is sharp right up to the edge of the field.

They're rather attractively colored dark grey against the black textured covering.

The original box is there, though the seams are split on two corners. Even the original cleaning cloth with the Baylor logo is present, along with the plastic bag it came in. The leather strap is present, and appears never to have been put on the binoculars. There are loops on the case for a strap, but it is missing. The case is in very good condition, except for some delaminating of the textured cover from the cardboard across the top. The elastic strap and hasp is in ver good condition, and the "Passed" sticker is still present on the bottom of the case.

Pics:

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) [Re: tim53]
      #5185024 - 04/22/12 04:11 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

Box contents:

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 54176

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics