Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
FrankL
sage

Reged: 07/30/09

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
Re: B&L 10x45 US Navy "Prism Marine" new [Re: tim53]
      #5209087 - 05/06/12 04:34 PM

Quote:

The worst problem though, is that there's a chipped prism. ... Anybody know where I can get a replacement prism?

Here is a similar one in my collection with some information about the model: http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/5249827914/in/set-72157623234405689
As noted in the above link this binocular is probably a 6X30 EE model converted to 10X so a 6X30 EE prism should fit. I'm fairly sure Surplus Shed has some of these in new condition (http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/category/binocularparts_5.html). To get the right one remove your chipped prism, measure it and then hopefully select one on the Surplus Shed site with the same measurements.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
Universal Camera Corp 6x30 Navy new [Re: tim53]
      #5209100 - 05/06/12 04:44 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

I saw these last month, but didn't buy them then, because of that left eyepiece. It looks cracked, but I wonder if it's failing cement, instead?

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Universal Camera Corp 6x30 Navy new [Re: tim53]
      #5209107 - 05/06/12 04:47 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

Right engraving. The view through the good eye on these is very nice, sharp to the edge Individual focus is smooth. Lots of loose chunks of black dirt/lint inside.

tim53
Postmaster

#5209115 - 05/06/12 04:56 PM

Frank: Thanks for the links! I had no idea you could get parts for some of these!

I paid $25 for the Prism Marines and $40 for the other three together.

-Tim.

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
Navy Sard 7x50 new [Re: tim53]
      #5214440 - 05/09/12 08:21 PM

Hello fans of vintage binocs ! Sooner or later, I was afraid I might get bitten.

My father in-law passed recently and he used a pair of Sard 7x50 Navy binoculars. Oddly enough, after looking through all my high end binoculars, my wife still prefers the "easy on the eyes" views through the Sard. Rather than having a sibliing debate over who gets the glasses, I won one on the bay recently and am waiting for it to arrive. I hope they are as good as my father in-law's pair.

I found it interesting that many of the vintage binoculars seem to have that easy viewing experience that seems elusive with the newer models.

Jae

alsendk

Reged: 04/23/11

Loc: Denmark
Re: Navy Sard 7x50 new [Re: Jae]
      #5214897 - 05/10/12 05:21 AM

Interesting question, I have come to the same conclusion,by comparing my old 7x40 Zeiss NVA Checkpoint Charlie binoculars versus one of my friends new bought porro Leica Bins Ultravid 7x42 HD
It is obvious that the Leica is very very sharp, but my old bins provide more easy wiewing,and I do not need to correct them, once set to infinity.....can anyone explain why ?

BillC
on a new path

Reged: 06/04/04

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Re: Navy Sard 7x50 new [Re: alsendk]
      #5215054 - 05/10/12 08:49 AM

Accomodation.

BillC

alsendk

Re: Navy Sard 7x50 new [Re: BillC]
      #5215107 - 05/10/12 09:29 AM

Sorry BillC
accomodation means bolig = housing in my language, and gives no sense to me, are you always so short in words ? :O)
but thank you anyway for your explanation.
Allan

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: Richmond, KY, USA
      #5215259 - 05/10/12 11:09 AM

Hello alsendk:
Forgive the curmudgeon (he must not have had enough children to eat )

Accommodation is the ability of our eyes to adjust for different situations: looking at a keyboard require a different focal lenght in our eyes lenses than looking across the room. We do this instinctively. And we do this while looking through binoculars as well.

That is where the design of the binoculars come into play. Quite often the placement of the eyes that gives pleasant views and require the least accommodation (i.e. less strain) depends on the exit pupil (lens diameter in mm divided by magnification), eye relief (how far from the eyepiece lens you need to place the eyes to see well) and field depth (at a given focus position, the minimum and maximum distances that can be seen in sharp focus)
I don't know the models you mentioned, but quite likely your 7x40 Zeiss has more eye relief and field depth than the Leica, hence less strain to accommodate your eyes and more comfortable "feel".

Are you now sorry you asked?
Marco

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
Re: Navy Sard 7x50 new [Re: rydberg]
      #5215399 - 05/10/12 12:17 PM

Given the same eye relief and exit pupil, I can see how depth of field differences would be a factor but to me it still seems a bit less of a factor. I've had identical binoculars - model and brand that had real differences in the "easy on the eyes". I've been attributing it to minor alignment/collimation differences but it's odd to see vintage pairs be consistently easier on the eyes. Perhaps it's the new "default" alignment settings on newer binoculars (slightly cross eye)?

So for some people it may require less "accomodation" but others maybe more ?

I'm also thinking that the newer coatings that give you that super sharp contrast gives the eye/brain more "stuff" to process ? I'm grasping for answers but it's a real experience that I am hyper sensitive to as my wife is the ultimate tester in this area. She gets headaches with anything but "easy on the eyes" and refuses to look through my high end binoculars, even the Ultravids or Zeiss FL's.

She loved my 8x20 Swarovski I bought 20 yrs ago but when it got replaced with a newer pair as they had trouble repairing the hinge, she didn't like the newer one as much. It had better coatings and was sharper.....

I also sent back a 7x42 Zeiss FL and got back a second pair that was "easier on the eyes"..

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
Re: Navy Sard 7x50 new [Re: Jae]
      #5215419 - 05/10/12 12:30 PM

I must say that a pair of my Sards with the eye cups removed is far far nicer to look through than the pair with eye cups.
It is very difficult to see the field stops with the eye cups installed.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Navy Sard 7x50 new [Re: Simon S]
      #5215510 - 05/10/12 01:22 PM Attachment (41 downloads)

I wonder if someone can help me. I won a pair of mint Swift Audubon's the original 804 model complete with nice case.
But the RH bridge is snapped at the hinge, any idea where I can find one?

Edited by Simon S (05/10/12 01:27 PM)

alsendk

Re: Navy Sard 7x50 new [Re: Simon S]
      #5215743 - 05/10/12 03:10 PM

Hi Marco, how can I be sorry to ask, when you,- among others here return my question with a fine, and an easy to understand explanation,that make sense to me.
Thank you
Allan

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

#5216065 - 05/10/12 06:38 PM

Hi Allan:
It is just sometimes I have the pedantic habit of explaining of how to make a clock when someone asks simply "what time it is" .
It comes from being a teacher, I guess.
Glad of being helpful.
Marco

Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
      #5216300 - 05/10/12 09:20 PM

Hello Tim,

That binocular is probably the same as a former neighbor used, when we were looking for a bright comet, twenty five years, ago, in Brooklyn. I recall that it was a Universal Camera 6x30 USN glass. I own a similar US Marine Corps binocular.
Incidentally, Universal Camera made some unique cameras, including the half frame Mercury, before WW II.

Happy collecting,
Arthur Pinewood

BillC
on a new path

Re: Universal Camera Corp 6x30 Navy new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5216415 - 05/10/12 11:47 PM

“Sorry BillC
accomodation means bolig = housing in my language, and gives no sense to me, are you always so short in words ? :O)
but thank you anyway for your explanation.
Allan”

Dear Allan:

I am sorry; I have been very busy. I am also sorry that you are probably not a native English speaker. If you were, I would have a wonderful time beating that college Pu . . . I mean, honored PhD—who never writes me anymore—Marco like the proverbial “red-headed stepchild.”

But, I won’t; I’ll just think it.

Anyway, the particular accommodation I was peaking of was one noticed by Jae.

With the greed for dollars going up, as the consumer knowledge of what makes a good instrument going down, many manufacturers are simply pumping stuff out the door without the concern for collimation that once ruled the industry. As one corporate head told his national sales team: “Binoculars are not to look through; they’re to sell!”

One of the reasons I tried so hard to get a thread going on creating a new, light-weight, inexpensive system of 3-axes collimation was so amateurs could address these issues. However, after 4 attempts to stay on track, I’ve given up.

Cheers,

BillC . . . humbug, bah!

alsendk

Re: Universal Camera Corp 6x30 Navy new [Re: BillC]
      #5216581 - 05/11/12 04:50 AM

All forgiven BillC.
What you write this time, gives me a reason to actually like my old timers binuculars even more...counting 2 NVA`s 7x40, one IOR Valdada 7x40, and a terrific BPO Baigish 7x30.
Thanks for your input dear curmudgeon=gnavpot
Allan

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Universal Camera Corp 6x30 Navy new [Re: alsendk]
      #5216621 - 05/11/12 06:53 AM

Gnavpot?
I like that
Red headed? I wish...
I am only white now.
Marco

BillC
on a new path

Re: Universal Camera Corp 6x30 Navy [Re: rydberg]
      #5217132 - 05/11/12 01:18 PM

"I am only white now.
Marco"

That's why I said "LIKE."

"Like" is a wonderful word; if you (like) took it (like) from today's (like) vernacular, (like) many of our citizens couldn't (like) communicate!

Bill

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Universal Camera Corp 6x30 Navy [Re: BillC]
      #5221577 - 05/14/12 10:06 AM Attachment (41 downloads)

A nice example of a Lietz Marseptit 7x50 arrived today. the binocular is is great condition, not a mark on the lenses and has dark blue coatings, also in unmarked condition.
Field of view is narrow, though central image is pin sharp and bright. The image does seem to soften somewhat towards the field-stops , something a narrow field binocular should not portray.
Matching the date of this binocular through its serial number is difficult, but this model was manufactured between 1932 and 1962 , when in 1954 it sold for $162 and in 1961 $235 !

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51471

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics