Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)
planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Britain in 1939 new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5238869 - 05/25/12 12:08 PM

Here's one for the sleuths. 30 seconds into the film, my real mother & father can be seen checking out some - presumably British - binoculars. Any idea what they might have been?

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/royal-visit-to-bif

Edited by planetmalc (05/25/12 12:19 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
Re: Foggy prism on vintage - 60 yrs old ? new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5239385 - 05/25/12 05:30 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

Here are three classic German Porro 7x50's
All three are single coated The first is the Jenoptem, a wide angle binocular with good optics sharp and fairly well controled image. Later T3M versions have a slight warm tone but this example is neutral.
Then the Busch Marlux, the same FOV as the Jenoptem, not quite as good in image sharpness and not quite as bright. This may well be due to the tenable condition this binocular was in before restoration.
And at the bottom the Leitz Marseptit, the best central resolution of all three, but narrow in FOV.
For overall performance the Jenoptem wins, but my favourite is the Leitz.

charen
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/05

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Foggy prism on vintage - 60 yrs old ? new [Re: Simon S]
      #5239415 - 05/25/12 05:47 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

I thought I would post this here, I had posted it also on the 'BirdForum' binocular review site.

I just received my 40 odd year old Leitz 10x40 BA Trinovid’s back from ‘Optrex’ in Surrey the UK . I sent them from New Zealand for servicing as they prisms were becoming increasingly tarnished and the image was dulling. I have had the Lieitz’s for some 20 odd years. Optrex, dissembled, de-stained the optics [95%], cleaned, re-lubricated, reset, collimated and tested them and then replaced the perished rubber eye cups, [non original] all for the remarkable price of $NZ280/GBP135/ $US287. My local Leica dealer in Auckland had originally quoted me $NZ1000 + / GBP480+ / US$754 + for the same treatment in Germany.
The optical and build qualities are still excellent on these early Leitz’s. Whilst the lack phase correction the image does remain remarkable considering their age. Since there reconditioning the image is again bright and sharp. There is mild pin cushioning but minimal other distortions or aberration’s.
They give my Pentax 10x43 ED’s a run for their money. Whilst the Pentax does have a mildly brighter image with less CA, improved contrast and colour fidelity, the image in the Leitz is flatter and wider, 6.3 vs. 6.0, with mildly less field curvature. The image is very compelling still. Night time stars are equally pin point in both the binoculars.
Ultimately the Pentax does have superior light transmission and more stars are seen however it is also 3 mm extra in aperture. The Leitz’s are lighter – 21oz vs. 25.5oz. and ergonomically a delight to use. I found I had less lateral blackouts with the Leitzs.
The early Leitz's are not waterproof but well-sealed against moisture. Of course the Pentax’s are superior for eye relief and close focus - 17 mm / 6.5 ft. Vs. 12 mm / 25 ft.
I do consider the Pentax ED's just below modern Alpha binoculars so really for 40 year old binocular the Leitz’s do hold up remarkably well which is tantamount to the original excellent optical and build qualities.
These Leitz’s can be obtained at reasonable prices still and can be acquired for around ½ to the price of a new Pentax ED or similar - depending on condition. They will hold their price well.
I have observed for 40 odd years and have 30 odd mainly Hi-quality binoculars in my collection I would count the Leitz’s in my top 5.
I know they have been positively mentioned many times on these forums for their form and function and some may question buying 30 to 40 year old binoculars, however if you want an excellent classic roof prism and you do come across one I strongly recommend you at least consider it as the image is very rewarding.

Chris

Edited by charen (05/26/12 04:05 AM)

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Foggy prism on vintage - 60 yrs old ? new [Re: charen]
      #5239434 - 05/25/12 06:02 PM

Great review Chris, glad the Leitz still holds its own against modern rivals.

planetmalc
sage

#5240572 - 05/26/12 12:04 PM

There was a definite improvement in optical performance across the whole of the Leitz range, around the time they introduced rubber armouring. The early ones weren't very inspiring by modern standards.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Foggy prism on vintage - 60 yrs old ? new [Re: planetmalc]
      #5242548 - 05/27/12 05:12 PM

Are you talking about Roof or Porro?

planetmalc
sage

#5243581 - 05/28/12 10:42 AM

Roof. I have a pretty early 10 x 40 roof with around 70 degree AFOV, and, while sharp enough, it is miles behind the overall image quality you'd get from a Zeiss west Porro of the same era (not a like for like comparison I know, but I've never looked through Zeiss west roofs of that era). It was the same with a brand-new Leitz 8 x 32 roof that I looked through as well; good but not great (which is how I'd class the Leitz Porro range, some of which I've owned).

I had the opportunity to directly compare my Leitz 10 x 40 roof with a very late example of the same type (the one with the 70 degree AFOV and non-armoured, but with rubber eyecups instead of plastic) and the later one was in a different class altogether - if it had been for sale I'd have bought it on the spot.

Those armoured ones, like the one that Charen's got, are the best compromise between size, weight and quality from Leitz. The 7 x 42 is particularly impressive.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Inside an Avimo new [Re: planetmalc]
      #5245801 - 05/29/12 02:55 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Today I stripped the Avimo 7x32 monocular in an attempt to remove the reticule and make the view more relaxing to use.
The first thing I removed was the ocular buy unscrewing it from the housing.
At this point it is worth noting that there is some room for focal adjustment, the thread has some stiction and allows an adjustment of what seems like a few positive dioptre stops. This may be useful for someone who would like to use there Avimo without spectacles.
The ocular itself is a very simple design, and seems to be totally absent of a field lens. The only elements I could see was the eye lens and the dioptre.
Separating the two halves of the case reveals the whole prism assembly secured to the objective end of the monocular. The Porro prism design is fully coated with cemented together prisms and no baffeling in sight.
Removal of the dioptre scale was straight forward, it is locked into position with a ring as seen in the photograph. In theory removal of this lens although not obviously having any effect of focal length when viewing through it, could shift the focus somewhat. On the positive side, the light transmission will improve a few percent as a result of one less surface for the light to pass through.
Once removed the whole assembly was reassembled and ready for testing.

The first obvious thing I noticed is I could not focus on infinity even with the ocular screwed fully home. The other possible detrimental effect of removing this dioptre is it may also incorporate a field flatterer lens. The image seems to have a more distortion towards the field stops at the central focal point
There was however no reduction in central sharpness, indeed it seemed a touch sharper and maybe brighter.
Looking at the objective cell, I may be able to alter the position of the lens to correct for the shift in focal length.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Inside an Avimo new [Re: Simon S]
      #5245806 - 05/29/12 02:57 PM Attachment (44 downloads)

And the prism assembly with no baffles is sight?

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

#5245808 - 05/29/12 02:57 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

And a very simple ocular

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

#5245809 - 05/29/12 02:58 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

And the ocular with reticule installed.

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
Cleaning eyepiece with coating problem ? new [Re: Simon S]
      #5267118 - 06/11/12 09:28 PM

I have this vintage binocular that looks clean everywhere except the views are very cloudy. When I look at the prisms, they are clean, objectives are clean but an interior element in the eyepiece is cloudy.

It looks streaky, I tried all solvents and even some plastic abrasives and rubbing compound and it won't come off. Any idea if this is a coating issue ?

FrankL
sage

Reged: 07/30/09

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
Re: Cleaning eyepiece with coating problem ? new [Re: Jae]
      #5267309 - 06/11/12 11:23 PM

Quote:

I have this vintage binocular that looks clean everywhere except the views are very cloudy. When I look at the prisms, they are clean, objectives are clean but an interior element in the eyepiece is cloudy.

It looks streaky, I tried all solvents and even some plastic abrasives and rubbing compound and it won't come off. Any idea if this is a coating issue ?

Are you positive the streaking is on the outside of the lens? If it is an an achromatic doublet two-element lens the streakiness could be between the two elements caused by separation or some other sort of degradation of bonding cement. If so, the elements would have to be separated and then rebonded.

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
Re: Cleaning eyepiece with coating problem ? new [Re: FrankL]
      #5267607 - 06/12/12 07:53 AM

I'll have to take some pictures but it is the center element of the eyepiece - there are 2 acrhromatic elements and a very thin single lens inbetween and it's this single lens that has the issue. Can't figure out how it could have gotten that way as the achromats are nice and clear.

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: Richmond, KY, USA
Wide field japanese binoculars. new [Re: Jae]
      #5273574 - 06/15/12 09:10 PM Attachment (56 downloads)

Just got these. They claim a nominal 11.8 degree (622 ft @1000 yards) FOV. Clearly marked Japan. American style body (no barrels). JCpenney branded, but the plate between the objectives says SMC. Coated with MgFL, but I don't think the prisms are. Can someone estimate the age? I'd say 70's, but I don't know for sure.
Thanks!
Marco

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Wide field japanese binoculars. new [Re: rydberg]
      #5273576 - 06/15/12 09:11 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

The front end

SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: Wide field japanese binoculars. new [Re: rydberg]
      #5273809 - 06/16/12 12:55 AM

Nice find! That one appears to be nearly identical to my Wards 67-7-7038 that is Japanese made but has no JB number on it that I can find. It looks like yours is also lacking a JB number. Mine is very lightweight with good clarity across the wide field. It does suffer from internal reflections so it's not a good bright daytime binocular, but I really like it for Milky Way cruising. It's my lightest weight Super Wide at just under 26 oz. The central focus mechanism tends to be a bit sloppy though. I have changed mine out with a better replacement from a similar Wards model. Mine also has SMC on the backplate.

I've also owned a similar looking "Empire" binocular with the same body design and like optics.

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Wide field japanese binoculars. new [Re: SMark]
      #5274049 - 06/16/12 08:05 AM

Hello SMark:
as it happens, I also have the same Ward model (11.8 fov, 67-7-7038 on the right prism plate)!
The focusing mechanism of the JCpenney version is even looser that the Ward. The Ward has a standard rotating knob, the Jcpenney has a quick focus plate that, contrarily to the rocking mechanism of the quick focus Tascos, just slide left to right. Very strange...By the way, my Ward does not have SMC on the back plate but TJK. Probably many manufacturer made tens of thousands of these for Penney and Ward and Sears.
Marco

steve@37n83.9w
sage

Reged: 01/20/11

Loc: Kentucky
Re: Wide field japanese binoculars. [Re: rydberg]
      #5274077 - 06/16/12 08:53 AM

I've also got two of the Wards UWA (both 11.5 versions) and I think they are some of the best of the "cheap" Japanese WA/UWA binos.

Just missed out on the best of the best UWA (Bushnell Rangemasters made by Fujinon) on ebay by seven dollars. Next time I find one of these rare ones I'm just going to use the buy it now option.
Steve

SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: Wide field japanese binoculars. [Re: rydberg]
      #5275177 - 06/17/12 02:34 AM

Quote:

Hello SMark:
as it happens, I also have the same Ward model (11.8 fov, 67-7-7038 on the right prism plate)!
The focusing mechanism of the JCpenney version is even looser that the Ward. The Ward has a standard rotating knob, the Jcpenney has a quick focus plate that, contrarily to the rocking mechanism of the quick focus Tascos, just slide left to right. Very strange...By the way, my Ward does not have SMC on the back plate but TJK. Probably many manufacturer made tens of thousands of these for Penney and Ward and Sears.
Marco

HA! That's cool. I just checked mine again and there is both the SMC and the TJK on it! But no JB number anywhere...

I had a pair of the 11.5° models and they both had very solid center focus wheels so I swapped one of them with the sloppy one on the 11.8° model that I kept. The optics on the 11.8° model was just a bit better.

I still have one of the 11.5° models just because it was in too bad of shape to sell. I should dig it out and see if there is a JB number on it. They are all quite similar in construction...

There was also a 12° model, but again the optics on the 11.8° model were actually much better.

Edited by SMark (06/17/12 02:37 AM)

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51495

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics