Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | >> (show all)
Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: Cleaning prisms new [Re: Simon S]
      #5562693 - 12/09/12 03:54 PM

The Oberkochen 7 x 50/50B/50BGA , and almost certainly the 10 x 50, as well as the 8 x 30 Porro, often/usually/invariably develop fine haze on the prisms and other internal optical surfaces.
This seems to come from outgassing, because of long time and/or thermal cycling of low volatility components of grease used as an internal dust trap. or from something used to seal the body casting walls(?)

Many products are available to clean optical surfaces. Lately have appeared kits to clean the ends of fiber optical cables, which required a cleanliness level above that for telescopes/binoculars . I received free samples at the SPIE convention.

A typical sequence I have used is odorless paint thinner (Home Depot) for grosser grease smears, or 1,1,1 trichloroethane ( yes, the ozone layer destroyer, of which I have lots of spray cans surplus from defunct Norton AFB, as well as a few gallons purchased before USA production and sales terminated. Its possesion or use is not illegal, at least in small quantities. Dumping it would not help the ozone layer, and chemically processing it is not practical, except, one supposes, in very large amounts. )

I avoid acetone or MEK, because they leave water spots.

Q-tip swabs are very useful. but they may leave slight streaks at the final stages, on multicoated surfaces.

Breathing on the surface can be helpful.

Zeiss used/use an optical grade chamois , not the rougher kind one might use to dry an automobile body after washing.
There are optical grade microfiber cloths available at camera stores.

To remove the prism plate-prism assembly from 7 x 50B/BGA, I slipped thin walled rubber or vinyl tubing onto the tips of tweezers with 45 deg. or 60 deg. inclination of the tips to the main bodies of the tweezers.

After unscrewing the three(?) screws, insert the vinyl/rubber tweezer tips into two now vacant screw holes in the prism plate. Slowly and cautiously, maintaining pressure with the tweezers, lift and tilt the plate-prism assembly out, with a twist of the wrist as I recall. The motion is similar to that required to perform an easier, but similar, extraction/installation on a WW II USN B&L Mk. 28 7 x 50.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

#5564027 - 12/10/12 11:55 AM

Zeiss (West) porro's are surprisingly prone to dust ingress - a great pity. Fortunately, most of them ended up with people who took care of them 'cos they cost a lot.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
Re: Cleaning prisms new [Re: planetmalc]
      #5564093 - 12/10/12 12:39 PM

Zeiss binoculars should me immune to dust entry if the gaskets are in good condition. As Gordon says, I think internal gassing from volatile grease and maybe waterproofing sealant is the cause.

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
      #5564217 - 12/10/12 01:43 PM

Quote:

Zeiss binoculars should me immune to dust entry if the gaskets are in good condition. As Gordon says, I think internal gassing from volatile grease and maybe waterproofing sealant is the cause.

It's true - the eyepiece and the exposed prism surfaces that is directly in the line of the eyepiece and the objective lens are like new - not a speck of dust or pollutant. This is because there are deep cones that seal the path all the way to the prism surface.

The other parts of the prisms that reflect are subject to gassing from various sealants.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cleaning prisms new [Re: Jae]
      #5564293 - 12/10/12 02:38 PM

The 8x30 I own has a rubber bellow from the ocular bridge to the prism body. This would have technically sealed the internals.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

#5568884 - 12/13/12 09:46 AM

Just bought a pair of Swift Storm Kings made by Katsuma Kogaku.
They need a pair of replacement eye lenses ideally, any ideas where I can get a pair?

Spectral Joe

Reged: 02/28/11

Loc: Livermore CA
      #5570962 - 12/14/12 02:44 PM Attachment (59 downloads)

I'm not much of a binocular guy but when I saw these at a local antique store I couldn't resist. The main attraction for me was the individual focus, but when I got the home ($55 later)they seemed better than I expected. No JB or JE stamps, looks to me like pre-1958 Nippon Kogaku. What does the E-P stamp mean? Clean inside and out, with the exception of a light haze on the internal optical surfaces. Given their state of collimation (perfect, as far as I can tell) I'm not in a hurry to open them up to try to clean them.

Spectral Joe

Reged: 02/28/11

Loc: Livermore CA
Re: Cleaning prisms new [Re: Spectral Joe]
      #5570964 - 12/14/12 02:46 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

The objective end.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cleaning prisms new [Re: Spectral Joe]
      #5570989 - 12/14/12 03:05 PM

I have a pair of these Joe they are nice and I have no idea what the E-P means on the binocular. The J-b number(assuming Nikon was the actual builder) would be J-B7.

FrankL
sage

Reged: 07/30/09

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
      #5571210 - 12/14/12 05:34 PM

Quote:

I have a pair of these Joe they are nice and I have no idea what the E-P means on the binocular. The J-b number(assuming Nikon was the actual builder) would be J-B7.

I've seen this E-P marking before on older post-war Nippon Kogaku (Nikon) binoculars and seem to recall that it indicated the binoculars were marketed in U.S. military stores in occupied Japan.

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: Richmond, KY, USA
Latest arrival: Focal 20x60 new [Re: FrankL]
      #5594665 - 12/29/12 04:05 PM Attachment (64 downloads)

Hello:
I just got another somewhat unusual pair of binoculars:
Focal 20x60, Siam Cat Optics, made in Japan and sold by K-Mart. Fully coated, a claimed 3 degrees (or 157ft@ 1000 yards). On the right backplate it also says 20-20-93.
The body is american style (no separate barrels) MgFl coating on Objectives and eyepieces. It is in collimation (no double images ), but has basically ZERO eye relief. If I don't "screw in" the cups in my eye sockets, I loose the outer edges. I wonder what is the vintage. I am enclosing 3 pictures.

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Latest arrival: Focal 20x60 new [Re: rydberg]
      #5594667 - 12/29/12 04:06 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Another one

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

#5594669 - 12/29/12 04:06 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Last one

aa5te
Genial Procrastinator

Reged: 08/30/08

Loc: Clinton, TN
      #5594680 - 12/29/12 04:16 PM

Quote:

but has basically ZERO eye relief. If I don't "screw in" the cups in my eye sockets, I loose the outer edges.

I think you're mistaken... It clearly says "COMFORT-VUE", meaning that there must be ample eye relief.

SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: Latest arrival: Focal 20x60 new [Re: aa5te]
      #5594714 - 12/29/12 04:53 PM

I had a Siam Cat 11° 8x35 and had the exact same problem. As close to "eyeball on the glass" as I've ever experienced in a binocular.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Latest arrival: Focal 20x60 new [Re: SMark]
      #5594751 - 12/29/12 05:25 PM

Common to a lot of binoculars built pre 1980 short eye relief comes at the experience of cheap wide angle oculars.
I would guess this binocular is circa 1970.

planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: Latest arrival: Focal 20x60 new [Re: SMark]
      #5595694 - 12/30/12 08:44 AM

Quote:

I had a Siam Cat 11° 8x35 and had the exact same problem. As close to "eyeball on the glass" as I've ever experienced in a binocular.

My Hilkinson 10 x 40, with its 8.5 degree field, is the same.

brentwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/05

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Latest arrival: Focal 20x60 new [Re: planetmalc]
      #5595813 - 12/30/12 10:14 AM

The cheapo 20x50 that I mentioned on the other thread has eye relief so short, that my eyeballs have to be virtually touching the glass to see anything at all! Not very hygenic!

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Latest arrival: Focal 20x60 [Re: brentwood]
      #5597780 - 12/31/12 11:30 AM

The Nikon 8x30 E I bought a few weeks ago came with a Mark Sheffell 20x50 Porro. After a clean the view was so dull and low in contrast, I removed all the useful bits from it and threw it into the bin.
However some of the 16x50 versions are usable, although never bright make a good lunar binocular.

SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Russian Binocular [Re: Simon S]
      #5613082 - 01/09/13 02:15 AM

After reading many glowing reports of Russian military binoculars, I saw that one such binocular was about to end on eBay with a fairly low price so I took a half-hearted stab at it and actually ended up the winner.

I got it yesterday and overall it seems like a really well made binocular. I believe it's called The Berkut 7x35 with an 8.5° FOV. I'm guessing from the serial number that it was made in 1982, but that's just a guess. Not really sure who made this one. Most of those I've been able find pics of were made by Tento, but this one might be made by Komz or Zomz

On the plus side... the views are very sharp and there are very few if any internal reflections when viewing objects like street lights at night. It's very lightweight for having such a strong metal body. The coatings also appear to be excellent.

On the minus side... the central focus mechanism is a bit sloppy, and the central hinge is super stiff. The eye relief isn't great and recessed eye lenses makes it seem worse that it really is.

Edited by SMark (01/09/13 03:01 AM)

Pages: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | >> (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 54685

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics