Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
jhubs

Reged: 01/29/12

Re: Rangemaster new [Re: binman]
      #5086818 - 02/23/12 07:59 AM

Hi binman,they look like Chinese type 62's issued to the PLA until Recently. Some of the Chinese websites"dealextreme"etc were selling them for around £80,sharp but yellow and a nicer build quality than the Russian ones.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: anyan]
      #5088391 - 02/24/12 05:50 AM Attachment (47 downloads)

The Rangemaster is back together after rejoining the two lens elements.
View has a very wide sharp area. Image colour is warm and no obvious vignetting can be seen when using the binocular.

Edited by Simon S (02/24/12 05:51 AM)

Foss

Reged: 02/20/12

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Simon S]
      #5088591 - 02/24/12 09:55 AM

WTG on resurrecting the Rangemaster Simon. If you don't mind my asking, how did the seperated eyepiece lens problem present itself and how did you you troubleshoot?

Edited by Foss (02/24/12 09:56 AM)

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Foss]
      #5088824 - 02/24/12 12:29 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

Thanks Foss.
Lens Sepperation can manifest itself in many ways, but in this case apart from looking horrible, it makes the view in the edge of the binocular ragged, loss on sharpness and sometimes a yellow tint to the view.

BillC
on a new path

Reged: 06/04/04

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
      #5089390 - 02/24/12 07:03 PM

When recentnting beware of breezes; lenses shatter when THEY feel like it!

BillC

binman
sage

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: UK
Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: BillC]
      #5089961 - 02/25/12 08:24 AM Attachment (49 downloads)

i received both chinese 8x30's in the post today, both look brand new but unfortunately one set is out of collimation, there is also some rotational shift.
its a shame as properly collimated they would make an excellent binocular for the price optics arnt as good as my zeiss deltrintems but are comparable to russian 8x30's

they do have a graticule in the right eye piece in the form of a cross hair marked in 5 and 10 mil spacing

a few bad points... they stink of petrol and the leatherette leaves your fingers black after handling!

binman
sage

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: binman]
      #5090046 - 02/25/12 09:52 AM Attachment (47 downloads)

another pic of the chinese binoculars

binman
sage

#5090047 - 02/25/12 09:52 AM Attachment (43 downloads)

last one showing the stuff they came with

binman
sage

#5090060 - 02/25/12 09:58 AM Attachment (39 downloads)

sorry one more showing the reticle

binman
sage

#5090134 - 02/25/12 10:40 AM

im giving serious thought to chopping the badly un collimated chinese 8x30's into monoculars?

steve@37n83.9w
sage

Reged: 01/20/11

Loc: Kentucky
      #5090202 - 02/25/12 11:27 AM

Shame the quality control is bad because just from outward appearances the simple build looks quite rugged. I'm really curious about what they look like inside, how to handle the collimation issue, i.e. do they have eccentric rings or not, etc. Have you had them apart yet??? If not not maybe Simon has experience with these and could chime in. Simon??????

At any rate I may make my first Chinese binocular purchase. I think I'll look on ebay and scrounge one of these up, would like to have one of this type to see what I could do with it.

Steve

Edited by steve@37n83.9w (02/25/12 11:29 AM)

binman
sage

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: steve@37n83.9w]
      #5090221 - 02/25/12 11:41 AM

they are rugged feeling binoculars everything feels smooth and firm to operate, optically they are above average. anti reflective coatings are thin would appear they are fully coated though.
it is a shame the collimation is so far out with one pair and with the added prism lean i doubt i could get them as good as they should be.

steve@37n83.9w
sage

#5090270 - 02/25/12 12:16 PM

Quote:

they are rugged feeling binoculars everything feels smooth and firm to operate, optically they are above average. anti reflective coatings are thin would appear they are fully coated though.
it is a shame the collimation is so far out with one pair and with the added prism lean i doubt i could get them as good as they should be.

Several posters have been discussing lean/image rotation on SMarks post Questions Regarding Collimation/Alignment if you're thinking about whether or not you want to attempt a repair.

Didn't notice your earlier post about the specifics of your purchase so don't know if refund/replacement is an option for you. If you decide to let them go send me a PM, I've dealt with lean/image rotation in the past so that issue doesn't concern me.

Steve

binman
sage

#5090291 - 02/25/12 12:29 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

its a bit late now for one pair lol, i now have another monocular added to my collection!

steve@37n83.9w
sage

#5090380 - 02/25/12 01:35 PM

Another advantage of the IF Porro, if all goes wrong you still have the monocular option

Still wanting to pick up a pair to dig into so I'll see what I can find on ebay later. I'm curious about the quality of the view in your "new" monocular. Since collimation/image lean obviously isn't an issue now how would you rate the view. How far out in the fov till the image softens, any noticeable color tint/bias, etc.???

Steve

binman
sage

#5090452 - 02/25/12 02:23 PM

centre 50% field is sharp though not quite as good as a carl ziess jena 8x30 fov is i think 8 degree's from the hand book. i'de say a good match for the russian 8x30's. there is a slight warm tint to them.
the front prisms have no shield so stray light coming in is a problem when bright sky or sun is near the direction of view.
as you can see from the pic above i have two russian 8x30 monoculars one dated 82 and one 87 the earlier seems possibly slightly better optically? as you may or may not know these are highly regarded monoculars, my new chinese monocular though good is not quite as good as the russian one which seems a little sharper and controls stray light better with its shielded prisms. the russian ant reflective coatings are better as well.
i think though the chinese will be a better out door hunting tool being fully water proof with its re fillable decadent capsules and slightly more rugged build.

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

#5090494 - 02/25/12 03:01 PM

What techniques did you use: Separation via solvent immersion vs. risky heating? V-blocks for centering during recementing, vs. a rotating lens chuck with a target collimator under the chuck and a telescope above the chuck ( not needed with well-centered (during their edge grinding at the factory) elements)?

UV curable,including sunlight, cement, or ?

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Gordon Rayner]
      #5090571 - 02/25/12 03:54 PM

I used a UV curing glue.
1 After cleaning I use a spot of glue on the concave surface of the lens then merge the second lens.
2 Apply some pressure to migrate the glue to the edge of the lens.
3 A suitable short wide rubber band centres both lenses and allow them to settle for a minute.
4 Then when im happy , I fix them with a black light.
V blocks are difficult to use I find, this seems a good way to do it.

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) [Re: Simon S]
      #5090658 - 02/25/12 04:45 PM

What is difficult about two good machinist/industrial inspection v-blocks?

They can also be used to support small, low power telescopes , such as the 5x20 golf scope with reticle. The flat ground surfaces allow them to slide laterally , without tilting, on a flat surface with a raised flat edge, to check for and measure on the reticle, if desired, two-axis alignment and image rotation(lean).

Be sure that all cement has been removed from the blocks, between uses. The blocks are removed from the lens after a fixation pre-cure, to clean the lens edge. The blocks can be solvent wiped at the same time. Then, shine the UV lamp on the lens with/without the v-blocks, to finish the job.

I have never used, nor heard of, a rubber band alone for centering. It may work, but how to get uniform circumferental tension in the band? Inequality there means an off-center push.

Instead, why not use two V-blocks with a rubber band around them, rather than directly around the lens components?

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) [Re: Gordon Rayner]
      #5090681 - 02/25/12 04:55 PM

Gordon it may work but V blocks are useless when one lens is slightly smaller than the other.
Oh, do you want to sell your Rangemasters?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 54732

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics