Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: binman]
      #5090693 - 02/25/12 05:00 PM

I bought an M3 B&L many years ago with a shattered objective.
Cut it in half and now the monocular lives in the car glove compartment, great idea for an otherwise useless instrument.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Simon S]
      #5090773 - 02/25/12 05:48 PM

Which Rangemasters do you seek? I have two or three of the widest field , more field than FPO or Tamron I, sloped shoulder , robust central focus mechanism Tamron II ( so I call them) version, and the Tamron I (?) with the flat, "normal" prism housing cover discussed in a recent thread (not in this thread). I do not have any of the FPO version. Clearly, I do not need all of those. All are good performers. So ,I should trade or sell sometime. Negotiation , if any, would not be appropriate here. Probably a TOS violation. One might get deleted . Is PM commonly used for this purpose? Or via other e-mail? I have not checked the S&S department for a long time, at least a year .

Why do you want multiple specimens? Accumulation/ Investment? Sales? Use? Trade goods?

You have probably read the interview with Mr. Bushnell (RIP) in the Abrahams forum. Google "Bushnell Rangemaster". Early Bushnell employee Bill Levin sold to me a rare fixed focus 6x42 wide field ( Kodak, I think, not Sard) for the P-61 Black Widow WW II Northrop radar equipped night fighter. I let it go at
RTMC at least 20 years ago. I suspect that it is the one in the Fan Tao site.
I lunched with David Bushnell and one of the Kamakura family at the 2003 Abrahams convention in San Diego.

I met Yoshi Sato or Satoh (Tamron, Bushnell, Oriental Optical in Pasadena, Calif.) now retired, RIP(?), back in Japan? , several times. He was an expert with semi-freehand binocular holding use of the JTII comparator for rapidly approximating 3-axis, including the hinge, alignment ( not just 2-axis optical alignment at only one IPD,usually 65mm.) , on cheapo/semi-cheapo ( I do not mean the Rangemasters) central focus binoculars . Because of lost motion, eyebrow pressure, etc, an approximation was the only realistic and maintainable(?) goal.

I purchased one of my JTII from him. Has anybody looked for, and found, a current JTII source? The last time I looked, it was a custom item, $$$, not stocked . There is doubt that the JTII testing and standards group ( gold elliptical tags on hinges of many Japanese binoculars until about 1980 (date=?) ) exists now.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Gordon Rayner]
      #5090787 - 02/25/12 05:57 PM

Gordon, I want one of the other examples as a collector.
If your interested PM me.
Which is the best in your opinion?

rick rian
Seeker of Truth(s)

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Upper Mid West
      #5091205 - 02/25/12 10:56 PM

Quote:

Oh, do you want to sell your Rangemasters?

A friendly reminder from your friendly Mod - please use S&S or PMs to inquire about buying and selling equipment. It's verboten in the general forums. Thanks

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: rick rian]
      #5091514 - 02/26/12 04:59 AM

Whoops! Sorry Rick.

steve@37n83.9w
sage

Reged: 01/20/11

Loc: Kentucky
      #5092192 - 02/26/12 02:09 PM

Not a question about buying or selling ( through a CN post) so I hope I'm safe with moderators. What is the average price for a vintage Sard 7x50. Made by Square D, looks identical to the Simon's (love your photos Simon) except the finish on the binocular is gray where Simon's is black.

Thanks Steve

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: steve@37n83.9w]
      #5092203 - 02/26/12 02:17 PM

Steve, I love both my Sard 7x50's the later one was sent to me by mistake when they should have posted a B&L Mk28!.
I would say around $100-$150 max if you have the eyewings and filters.
One really annoying problem with this binocular is with all the gunf on the eye end, the field stops are not visible even without glasses. Remove all this and the view is wonderful, the coated models have a neutral colour balance however the uncoated version is a tough yellow, but ever so slightly.

Edited by Simon S (02/26/12 02:21 PM)

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

#5092606 - 02/26/12 05:16 PM

I do not have an FPO for comparison. I know accumulators who have all (?) versions, but not close to here. I have not made a 3-way , n-way comparison.

The sloped shoulder "Tamron II" (?) (my terminology) has the widest field of the Rangemasters, I read somewhere. It is wider than my already wide Tamron I version. The central focus mechanism is unusually strong and well-fitted. I do not mean to imply any inadequacy in the other versions. They are heavier, but not objectionably, than my flat cover Tamron or, probably, the FPO

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

#5092641 - 02/26/12 05:37 PM

Was one of the components smaller than the other, in your recent FPO Bushnell Rangemaster eyelens recementing job?

A good lens cementing instrument is indicated there, instead of a rubber band. I have two of the semi-antique Navy ones . Others were made and sold by Pearl in Japan.

If that eyepiece is the non-rotating one,one could use a rubber band. But that is Mickey Mouse practice, no?

That would never do for rotating lens elements in the critical parts of an alignment telescope for optical tooling in aircraft, nuclear, shipyard, etc.

steve@37n83.9w
sage

Reged: 01/20/11

Loc: Kentucky
      #5093028 - 02/26/12 10:08 PM

Quote:

Steve, I love both my Sard 7x50's the later one was sent to me by mistake when they should have posted a B&L Mk28!.
I would say around $100-$150 max if you have the eyewings and filters.
One really annoying problem with this binocular is with all the gunf on the eye end, the field stops are not visible even without glasses. Remove all this and the view is wonderful, the coated models have a neutral colour balance however the uncoated version is a tough yellow, but ever so slightly.

Thanks for the reply Simon. I found one at an online estate auction that I think I"ll bid on.

Steve

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: steve@37n83.9w]
      #5093324 - 02/27/12 02:51 AM

Gordon, the lens was on the rangemaster but they have been cleaned with steel wool. I see what your saying re alignment but despite you pros out there not having any faith in my repairs, rotating the eyepiece has no effect in collimation.
I have used,or tried to use V blocks maybe I should try again.
Oh and the band idea came from Bill C if my memory serves.

Edited by Simon S (02/28/12 04:51 PM)

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

Reged: 04/24/05

Loc: Eureka, Pa
Tamaya Super Deluxe Anastigmat 8x30 new [Re: Simon S]
      #5098473 - 02/29/12 10:03 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

I need another pair of vintage Japanese binoculars like I need another hole in my head....

But I had been watching for a pair of Tamaya binoculars for some time and just snagged these on Ebay.

I know of Tamaya making sextants and nautical pieces and I remember reading here or somewhere else that Tamaya didn't make too many binoculars but they might be a good deal at a lower price so I got them.

Here's some of the pics from Ebay (I just won this so I do not yet have it in my possession):

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

Re: Tamaya Super Deluxe Anastigmat 8x30 new [Re: Preston Smith]
      #5098475 - 02/29/12 10:04 PM Attachment (44 downloads)

Other side:

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

#5098480 - 02/29/12 10:06 PM Attachment (36 downloads)

Front:

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

#5098506 - 02/29/12 10:19 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

Back:

Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

#5098509 - 02/29/12 10:20 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Eyepiece:

binman
sage

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: UK
      #5098972 - 03/01/12 09:12 AM Attachment (47 downloads)

my latest binoculars received this morning, a pair of if 8x30 ussr made komz. very pleased with this set as alignment is very good and they are very clean inside! overall cosmetically they're also very tidy! i got them quite cheep with a view to selling but now i have them i will probably be keeping them! they are the sharpest best collimated russian 8x30's iv had so far. only fault which was easily fixed was the eyepiece was loose, i just undid the screw in the bakalite eyepeice, tightened the eyecup and did it up the screw again... sorted

binman
sage

Re: Tamaya Super Deluxe Anastigmat 8x30 new [Re: binman]
      #5098975 - 03/01/12 09:13 AM Attachment (53 downloads)

another pic next to my all time favourite bench mark bins, the deltrintems.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Tamaya Super Deluxe Anastigmat 8x30 [Re: binman]
      #5101195 - 03/02/12 02:37 PM

Preston, looks like a "Made in Occupied Japan" era binocular, you did not mention what the view is like?
Binman, most if not all the Russian binoculars in the 8x30 and 12x40 range seem to have a knack of staying clean inside.
I too have a few of these IF Russian 8x30's, the oily smell is great, but optically not a match for the Jenoptem or the super little 6x24.

binman
sage

Re: Tamaya Super Deluxe Anastigmat 8x30 [Re: Simon S]
      #5101236 - 03/02/12 03:02 PM

no not quite as sharp as the jena's but nice all the same, they do have a great smell. i've had 7 or 8 of the centre focus russian 8x30's 3 sets of the 6x24's, 2 sets of 12x40's and a 12x45 also the tento 7x35 but this is the first 8x30 IF model i've owned.
i dont tend to keep many binoculars in fact the only other one i still at the moment have is the deltrintem in the pic above and the komz 8x30 monocular these two are keepers.
the IF 8x30's could well be keepers, i paid £30 for them and was hoping to get at least twice that if i sold them..... the question is do i need two 8x30 binoculars?.... i love the feel and smell of them and enjoy using them....? maybe i could find room for them until a better pair turn up.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 54611

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics