Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Preston Smith
The Travel Scope Guy

Reged: 04/24/05

Loc: Eureka, Pa
Re: Tamaya Super Deluxe Anastigmat 8x30 new [Re: Simon S]
      #5101284 - 03/02/12 03:23 PM

Quote:

Preston, looks like a "Made in Occupied Japan" era binocular, you did not mention what the view is like?

Hi Simon!

I do not yet have the binoculars in my possession. I should get them next week and will give a report in this thread.

I am very curious on how well they will actually live up to being "anastigmatic." I'm not holding my breath...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
Re: Tamaya Super Deluxe Anastigmat 8x30 new [Re: binman]
      #5102874 - 03/03/12 02:14 PM Attachment (58 downloads)

The B&L arrived a last after a painful mess up by seller.
The binocular is infact better condition than I was hoping for which eased the stress of the whole saga.
This binocular, despite being made in 1943, has coated prisms and lenses bar one eye lens.
This uncoated lens was partly separated so I rejoined the two elements and used the eyepiece to centre the elements.
I then have them a dose of UV to fix the glue.
Some may notice that the eye cups look wrong. Thats because they are from a pair of REL 7x50's, I am waiting on two new coated eye lenses, and eye cups from the States, but postal services are slower than a slow thing at the moment!
All the optical surfaces are in great condition, no cleaning marks on the objectives, but a very slight collimation error resulting in the right view being just a tiny bit higher than the left.

Image is good, although not as good as some of the other model B&L 7x50's.
I don't think this binocular has ever been apart since maybe when the coated optics were added, but there is only a slight covering of haze on the prisms, with a tiny fungus spot the size of a pinhead on one objective.
Focus controls are smooth and just the right stiction, making the binocular a pleasure to use.

Edited by Simon S (03/04/12 06:13 AM)

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Sard 7x50 eye cups & ND filter new [Re: Simon S]
      #5104016 - 03/04/12 06:10 AM

The mistaken order I was sent from the States last week was a nice Sard 7x50 complete with filters and rubber eye cups.
But with these filters on a geed 10% of the view is lost and the field stops are far from visible.
Was this a known design flaw with the Sard?

Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
B & L USN Mark 28 new [Re: Simon S]
      #5104166 - 03/04/12 08:48 AM

Quote:

I don't think this binocular has ever been apart since maybe when the coated optics were added,

Hello Simon,

The Mark 28 binocular was assembled with coated optics. I purchased one, dated 1943, unused, in the original box, with coated optics.

Happy collecting,
Arthur Pinewood

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: B & L USN Mark 28 new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5104231 - 03/04/12 09:23 AM

Pinewood, thank you for that. That is early for coatings is it not?
Did you like the binocular?

FrankL
sage

Reged: 07/30/09

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
Re: B & L USN Mark 28 new [Re: Simon S]
      #5104317 - 03/04/12 10:22 AM

I'm not sure the date "1943" on the binocular means it was made during that year. It could mean that, for sure, but it could also reference the year of the contract such as in 1943 so many binoculars were contracted to be delivered but all binoculars may not have been made and the order not completed until 1944 or even 1945.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: B & L USN Mark 28 new [Re: FrankL]
      #5104360 - 03/04/12 10:42 AM

Frank, it is indeed possible. I wonder if BillC would have any input on this?

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: B & L USN Mark 28 new [Re: Simon S]
      #5119820 - 03/13/12 09:40 AM Attachment (65 downloads)

These gems arrived from Finnland yesterday a mint pair of Finnish army isssue Busch Solluxon's.
They look like they have never seen the light of day, glass is unmarked, paintwork is close to mint.
View is pin sharp and very well corrected across the field of view.
They weigh ~400 grams and have a lovely oily smell to them. A reticule is visible in the right eyepiece.

Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
B & L USN Mark 28 Date new [Re: FrankL]
      #5121818 - 03/14/12 12:19 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure the date "1943" on the binocular means it was made during that year. It could mean that, for sure, but it could also reference the year of the contract such as in 1943 so many binoculars were contracted to be delivered but all binoculars may not have been made and the order not completed until 1944 or even 1945.

Hello Frank,

You may be right, but my Mark 28 had a little paper tag with a date of May, 1943, as well as the engraved date. If every B&L Mark 28 had a "1943" engraving, that would prove your point.

Happy collecting,
Arthur

Foss

Reged: 02/20/12

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Richard McC]
      #5125520 - 03/16/12 01:36 PM Attachment (61 downloads)

Compac Binoculars?
Just picked up a set of 7x35 Compac Ultra Wide Angle glasses and wonder if anyone has info on them. Google has not been my "friend" so far. They're metal body, very robust, and MIJ. Didn't see trademark logo in Peter Abraham's history section. I apologize for not cleaning these up before posting images, they're filthy.

Foss

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Foss]
      #5125524 - 03/16/12 01:38 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Compac image 2

Foss

#5125525 - 03/16/12 01:38 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

compac image 1

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

#5128993 - 03/18/12 05:09 PM

Foss, a strange one that. Are there any id marks stamped on the hinge between the objectives?

Foss

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Simon S]
      #5130192 - 03/19/12 11:50 AM

Hey Simon,
No ID marks or J- codes unfortunately. I started to clean them up externally so had a good chance to look. These appear to have a bit of lens separation on the objectives...looks a bit like a cat took a swipe of its claws on the backsides of the objectives...so, when I can find the time, I'll remove the lenses and see. If the problem is separation, with Seyfried's book in hand and some info from CN binocular threads, I'll give re-cementing a try.

FrankL
sage

Reged: 07/30/09

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
      #5130205 - 03/19/12 11:57 AM

I've seen that T in a triangle marking before on another brand binocular, Nippon Kogaku I think. I could be mistaken but I seem to remember reading that it indicated the binocular was for private sale to U.S. military personnel at their military bases in Japan.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: FrankL]
      #5144076 - 03/27/12 02:43 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

Early prismatic Ross, compact heavy for it's size and a dim low contrast view. Image is narrow but has good sharpness across the field of view.
There is also a reference to UK patent 11.74.1900, this referring to an improved central focusing mechanism and screw design.

SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Simon S]
      #5146131 - 03/28/12 08:59 PM

Every time I either buy or sell a binocular on eBay there is always risk involved. I tend to consider in my bidding as if I was also going to have to send it off to Cory for some work after I get it. But when I actually do get a really good deal it's fun to mention it...

As you can see from my signature I love my wide angle binoculars. And it seems that whenever one of these "Monster Wides" shows up there is a certain group of buyers (myself included) that will always be there to bid on it. But I got lucky on this one as I was the only bidder and won it with my first $19.99 bid. And then to top it off, it came to me in perfect, almost new condition. All it needed was a bit of exterior cleaning. And then to top that off, the optics are excellent for a super wide angle 7x35. The images are sharp, bright and have excellent contrast. Right now, only my Belfont surpasses it, and that's because it was magically restored by Cory. Anyway, I'm a happy camper...

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: SMark]
      #5146372 - 03/29/12 12:14 AM

What are the J-codes , usually on the front side of the two forward hinge lugs?

Do you see the often present blue shading between an inner white square and the circular boundary of the exit pupil?

Are the arms which support the eyepieces a good fit to the central focusing shaft? If not, eyebrow pressure on one side can change the alignment.

I recently described a Teflon washer as a fix for a loose fit in a specimen of the early, flat prism housing cover Tamron versions of the Bushnell Rangemaster. Some of the top-of- the line Tasco are very good fits there, though they usually have the blue square peripheral shading in the exit pupils from low index prisms combined with short f/ratio objective lenses.

I often grab one of the several easy to find wide angle 7 x 35 from the 1960s thru 1980's (?) if I see an interesting bird in the course of other daily activity. The wide field helps to re-acquire the bird quickly, before it disappears. They serve for stargazing in less than dark skies. It is unfortunate that nearly all were 7 x 35, instead of 8 x 40 or similar.

SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) [Re: Gordon Rayner]
      #5146428 - 03/29/12 01:23 AM

J-codes are JB56 and JE63. Not seeing the blue shading. The support arms are adequate enough, but I have other 7x35 bins with better support. The central focus is rock solid though, with no focus changes due to pressure on the eyepieces. Nice round exit pupils. I just had it outside and it is a very good performer under the stars.

I've had an 11 7x50 but I don't know that I've seen an 8x40 that was more than 10. It seems 12 to 13 was always reserved for the 7x35 though.

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) [Re: SMark]
      #5147121 - 03/29/12 12:57 PM

I was thinking of comparable apparent field, with less real field, of course, but in 8 x 40 or similar. The Swift Audubon 8.5 x 44, for example. But those are not so often found as are the various wide angle 7x35 "football spectator" from that period.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 54711

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics