Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Olivier Biot
Amused

Reged: 04/25/05

Loc: 51°N (Belgium)
Sky Watcher SW 80AR-AZ4A Telescope
      #5074924 - 02/16/12 06:00 AM

Sky Watcher SW 80AR-AZ4A Telescope

By Mike Carr.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: Sky Watcher SW 80AR-AZ4A Telescope new [Re: Olivier Biot]
      #5076736 - 02/17/12 10:20 AM

I understand the scope was not very well treated, but what do you mean when you say it was not well received?

WAVT
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Re: Sky Watcher SW 80AR-AZ4A Telescope new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5076813 - 02/17/12 11:09 AM

Quote:

I understand the scope was not very well treated, but what do you mean when you say it was not well received?

Only that it was abused when it was received and opened. The packing & boxes were destroyed. I think some of the small parts were lost when it got opened. They never did get it set up to look through. That was a shame because once I did, they loved it.

The lesson learned was mine. The guy in the home is an adult (albeit mentally challenged) and I assumed he would be able to assemble it. I assumed wrong. Mental illness is a dreadful disease.

The positive side of the story is that I now have a small flock of followers who are trying very hard to comprehend some of the wonders of the universe. It is a great therapy.

caheaton
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Sky Watcher SW 80AR-AZ4A Telescope new [Re: WAVT]
      #5106716 - 03/05/12 02:40 PM

I was lucky enough to purchase one of these when OPT carried them. I originally purchased the pair with the intention of keeping the mount and selling the scope, but I was so impressed by the scopes fit and finish (and later its optics) that I decided to keep both.

It's first light was with a group of cub scouts who were delighted with what it could show. It's a great little scope. As my stable has grown I've toyed with selling it, but can never bring myself around to letting it go!

WAVT
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Re: Sky Watcher SW 80AR-AZ4A Telescope new [Re: caheaton]
      #5107389 - 03/05/12 09:50 PM

I can picture a Cub Scout Den having a blast with that scope. It's very kid friendly. And I know what you mean by the growing stable, I just picked up an ST80. Thats pretty fun too. I bought it dirt cheap off Craig's list and thought I would flip it and get a C6 but now I can't seem to part with it.

Josh Graves

Reged: 01/30/11

Loc: Japan
      #5116288 - 03/11/12 06:06 AM

Mike,

Thanks for the review. That is a great scope. I was drooling over it for quite a while on OPT. I instead bought a 6" Dob, but maybe someday I will find one of these used as a second scope.

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
Re: Sky Watcher SW 80AR-AZ4A Telescope new [Re: Olivier Biot]
      #5126515 - 03/17/12 02:05 AM

I got one of these, too, last year +. I must say that for the $60 more, it's in a different league than the Vixen 70mm Carlino reviewed. The focuser seems pretty decent. The weight is nice, but the mount is just killer! In fact, that's what I bought it for and sold the OTA with an old EQ-2 in alt-az mode to a local person to encourage astronomy here.

I use the mount with my much heavier, though shorter Orion 102 F/7 ED refractor. The mount handles it well except with wind speeds above 15 mph. Then it gets a bit jittery, but otherwise, even my much heavier ED refractor rides it well.

Thanks for reviewing this fantastic buy. Too bad it's not still offerred, but as my grandmother said, "If wishes were horses, we'd all ride"

caheaton
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Sky Watcher SW 80AR-AZ4A Telescope new [Re: CollinofAlabama]
      #5127724 - 03/17/12 10:11 PM

I agree that it's a fantastic mount (and the scope is no slouch either). I've found the mount can also handle a 120mm F/8.3 as long as you're careful to balance the scope. (Though it will get shakey with all that weight in a wind).

It's a very versatile mount.

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
      #5128038 - 03/18/12 03:00 AM

I'm with you, Mike, on the ST80. I had one for years and swore I'd never part with it until the Celestron 80ED came out. I got that, then sold my ST80. Then the AstroTech 80ED came out, with a dual speed Crayford and shorter fl, so I sold the C80ED and bought the AT80ED from our sponsor. That was in 2006. A sub F/7 80mm refractor is such a portable thing, and packs an awful lot of optical punch. Make it an ED and eliminate the CA and it's perfect. It can't bust up globs or show great detail in galaxies, but it can show you both to an identifiable degree, and show a whole lot more besides.

And this SkyWatcher 80mm introduces a person to this whole realm. Glad I could pass mine on to someone locally.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1984

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics