Astrophotography and Sketching >> Astro Imaging/Sketching Contest

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
Jan12 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! new
      #5064258 - 02/09/12 06:26 PM

Welcome to the January 2012 Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest poll!

Each month the best images selected from the individual Cloudy Nights Imaging and Sketching forums will be presented for the userbase to vote on. The winning entry will be posted on the front page of the CN website for all to admire! At the conclusion of the poll, the entry with the highest total will be the winner of the contest..

Please choose your favorite from the entries below. The poll will remain open through February 20th at midnight.

Here are the entries for January!

Beginning Imaging's Finalist - zerro1:

M31, Imaged at Slate Peak fire lookout, North Cascades, WA.
September 2011
12 X 10 minutes
Scope AT65EDQ
Mount LXD75
Camera QHY8
Captured with Nebulosity
Pre-Processed Images Plus >Flats, Darks, and Bias
Post Processing CS3
Guided Meade DSI and PHD guiding

Film Astrophotography's Finalist - Nightfly:

The Dark Nebulae of Taurus and Surrounding Region

Click image to launch higher resolution version: 1280x1024

East and north of the Pleiades lies many dark nebulae, the most prominent being the Taurus Dark Cloud, Barnard 22. Most of these can be seen under a dark sky without optical aid. This image, taken with orthopanchromatic film does not reveal Hydrogen-alpha light, but mostly Ionized Oxygen emissions. The California nebula, among others, can still be recognized in this light.

Image taken December 18, 2011 from East Sullivan, Maine by James Cormier.

Camera: Pentax 67
Lens: 105mm f/2.4 @ f/4
Film: Fuji Acros 100 developed in Xtol 1:1
Exposure: 45 Minutes (9:27-10:12 PM EST 12/18/11)
Camera piggybacked on a vintage Meade 2080 via Losmandy dovetail and DA plate.

CCD Imaging & Processing's Finalist - Jared:

M42--The Orion Nebula
  • AT10RCF Ritchey Chretien telescope
  • Astro-Physics Mach1 GTO mount
  • SBIG STL-11000M camera w/ Astrodon Gen 2 LRGB filters
  • Astro-Physics 67PF562 Field Flattener
  • 70:25:25:25 L:R:G:B
  • Captured in Equinox Image
  • Image calibration in Nebulosity 2.0
  • Post processing in Photoshop CS3

Captured by Jared Willson from Oakland, CA on January 16, 2012

Solar System Imaging's Finalist - bunyon:

This is an IR image of Saturn obtained on January 1, 2012 from Winston-Salem, NC. I used a DMK-21-618 and ProPlanet742 filter on a 15" Obsession with a 3x Barlow (giving approximately f/16). Frames were collected at 60fps (histogram approximately 60% full) for 150 seconds, then aligned and stacked in Registax 6. Wavelets were applied in Registax and then the image was transferred to Photoshop CS4 where levels were adjusted and the image re-sized 180%.

Sketching Forum's Finalist - markseibold:

After careful plans to observe, photograph and sketch the total lunar Eclipse of Dec 10th 2011 in the Portland city center, fog formed late, so plans to relocate were rushed at the last minutes as we drove fast from the city to the Columbia River Gorge Crown Point Oregon Vista House, yet to find a hundred people, photographers, etc, most were ensconced in their cars with engines running, while Gorge east winds gusted to 60 mph with 25 degrees F.

So I set up my Celestron Nexstar 5i telescope anyway, huddled into the wind-shielded side of the Vista House with a few brave other photographers. I made quick mental notes of the image at medium power through the telescope and began to photograph crudely as the wind buffeted the scope and my Sony NEX5 camera poised high and teetering on its tripod over the telescope eyepiece. I made a few photographs for reference and some visual mental observations and notes were taken. I have possibly observed over two dozen total eclipses to date since my mid teens years; photographing perhaps a dozen of those events but this was the first sketch. I noted the very slight turquoise-blue fringe on the sunlit edge just after totality, as they predicted and rendered it slightly to the sketch.

Much in post preparation was then later made in the past week at home to produce this accurate large technical documentary dry pastel sketch onto 19" X 25" black Strathmore pastel paper completed today, December 19th 2011. As the foreground ambience seemed as partly visual and incidental to the whole scene, I decided to add in the nostalgic gas street lamps that slightly reflected the Vista House behind, also slightly showing the moons image on its windows and the streetlight lantern glass, causing several repeated reverse reflections.

-Mark Seibold

Good Luck to all our finalists!
Which Image/Sketch is our Winner?
Users may choose only one (20 total votes)
Beginning Imaging's Finalist - zerro1:
-
2 10%
Film Astrophotography's Finalist - Nightfly:
-
3 15%
CCD Imaging & Processing's Finalist - Jared:
-
3 15%
Solar System Imaging's Finalist - bunyon:
-
1 05%
Sketching Forum's Finalist - markseibold:
-
11 55%

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Jan12 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5074757 - 02/16/12 12:01 AM

Congratulations Mark ! Very Well Done Artwork!

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jan12 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! new [Re: zerro1]
      #5075421 - 02/16/12 12:35 PM

Mark,
Congratulations!

Beautiful composition.

Frank

markseibold
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/19/08

Loc: Portland Oregon
      #5075826 - 02/16/12 04:43 PM

Thank you Robert and Frank

I would also like to thank each of the photographers as all four works entered for this month were actually my favorite celestial objects. Each photographic work this month is a great accomplishment in photographic art and scientific documentation.

It may be hard for some to realize this now; that the moon was something I never really observed until I began to discover Rich Handy's sketching tutorials here in CN. It wasn't much later that seeing Frank McCabes close-up sketches and several other sketch artists here, of the Moons terminator line throughout the month with meaningful texts added that captivated my interest in paying closer attention to the moon. In a sense, The Cloudy Nights Forums and especially the Sketch Forums, are like a free class to learn much from daily and nightly about observing our skies.

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
-Albert Einstein

-Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery
DP Review_Mark Seibold's Gallery of Photography and Pastel Sketch Art_Over 150 images_Over 8 Pages_Click Above Tool Bar to 'SlideShow-Start'_then in next window, click 'Fullscreen', allow mouse to rest a few seconds and wait to load images; Fullscreen will appear, return mouse to select images from bottom page Thumbnail Index_Scroll <Left and Right> to access all pages.

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Jan12 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! new [Re: markseibold]
      #5075957 - 02/16/12 06:27 PM

Mark, congratulations and thanks for the kind words. Yours is a most impressive sketch.

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #5076174 - 02/16/12 08:51 PM

Quote:

Thank you Robert and Frank

I would also like to thank each of the photographers as all four works entered for this month were actually my favorite celestial objects. Each photographic work this month is a great accomplishment in photographic art and scientific documentation.

Thank You Mark! That's quite a compliment.

I drove down the street here to get out of the trees to see that eclipse, that night. Got a few quick shots with my Canon 1000D before it clouded over..

Jared
Postmaster

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.
      #5076203 - 02/16/12 09:05 PM

Congratulations, Mark, on a well deserved win!

markseibold
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jan12 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! new [Re: Jared]
      #5078118 - 02/18/12 07:18 AM

Thanks again Paul, Robert and Jared.

Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
      #5078251 - 02/18/12 09:55 AM

Very sorry folks, I have been really busy the past few days and did not have a chance to update the Winners Gallery thread. I still need to make screen prints of the stats for the top of the thread but Mark's image is posted, he's on the front page, and the stats workbook is updated as well.

Congratulations to Mark on a well deserved win!

Charlie

markseibold
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Jan12 CN Imaging/Sketching Contest Poll! [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5080013 - 02/19/12 11:36 AM

Thanks again Charlie

Incidentally, I must also say, this recent sketch-work is additionally in ASOD for February 17th 2012. >
Astronomy Sketch of the Day - Total Lunar Eclipse of December 10th 2011 by Mark Seibold

Mark

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics
>