Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Peter D.
sage

Reged: 02/09/12

Loc: Central New York
Re: The Lap Scope new [Re: mattyfatz]
      #5092031 - 02/26/12 12:32 PM

Wasn't the Astroscan the original prototype of the lap scope? I seem to recall seeing a picture of it used that way in an old Edmund Scientific ad. I think that it's sized more for kids in that application though: when I used mine that way, my neck complained after only a few minutes. It's really better on its base as a table-top Dob.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: The Lap Scope new [Re: Peter D.]
      #5092082 - 02/26/12 12:57 PM

I tried bringing along different kinds of pillows or "bed desks" as a base for the ball scope in my lap, in order to raise it up a bit. But as far as I recall, the make-shift platform seemed to amplify the motions cause by my breathing. Also, the "platform" was just one more thing to bring out with what is supposed to be a simple grab-n-go scope, further defeating the purpose. So that enhancement for the lap scope never worked very well.

Mike

mwedel
Works with Sauropods

Reged: 12/16/07

Loc: Claremont, CA
Re: The Lap Scope new [Re: Olivier Biot]
      #5093167 - 02/26/12 11:36 PM

Does anyone know Douglas Bullis's username? I'd like to send him a PM, but I haven't been able to figure out his username. If it's listed someplace obvious and I'm just being a moron, let me know!

LateViewer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Manhattan
Re: The Lap Scope [Re: mattyfatz]
      #5093397 - 02/27/12 06:55 AM

Great article. Great that people have commented on it recently so that I could find it a read it.

I especially like the way you captured the wonder of visually observing. The comparison to great art is a good analogy.

Al

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6179

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics