Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
SATMAN
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/02/07

Loc: NJ 39.7 lat., -74.3 long
Meade 2045
      #5129274 - 03/18/12 08:25 PM

Just picked up a Meade 2045 on the bay for peanuts , in excellent condition owner star tested optics appear to be good . Will post pictures and a review when recieved . It's an older model with a AC drive and coated corrector.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Meade 2045 new [Re: SATMAN]
      #5129344 - 03/18/12 08:56 PM

Congratulations on the new acquisition! I have a 2045D - it's an excellent little instrument, and optically near-perfect. The corrector plate and secondary on these 'scopes need to be in precise alignment for optimum performance... many came from Meade without being properly oriented, it seems. The critical factor is ascertaining that the secondary is centered in the optical train, with relative rotational positioning being next in importance.

Align it well, and it may reward you with tack-sharp views, in the vein of a Questar 3.5, but with slightly higher resolution and brighter images.

SATMAN
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Meade 2045 new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5129501 - 03/18/12 10:37 PM

After fixing a couple of C90 astro Orange tube models I figured i'd take a chance with this . With a little bit of patience much can be achieved with these older smaller scopes. They perform suprisingly well once cleaned up and collminated. And they are fun to observe with!

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
      #5130717 - 03/19/12 04:51 PM

I have the original 2045 and its a neat clean little package. As Satman said if collimated properly she performs well. I use mine primarilly as a spotting scope and white light solar observing. I have a full aperture thousand oaks filter that works great. Used this scope for the last Venus transit and will use it again this year for the same event.
Bill

SATMAN
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Meade 2045 new [Re: Bonco]
      #5130954 - 03/19/12 06:59 PM

Bill that was my reasoning for this purchase I also have a Thousand Oaks full aperture filter I purchased back in the 90's . Wanted a scope I could take to work for the Venus transit . I would not even consider taking my Questar. And for the price I could not go wrong it was even less than a TV radian! These under appreciated small scopes Meade 2045, C-90 Astro, Lomo astele 95 etc. are just neat to observe with! And they don't break you back setting up! When received pictures will follow, it's good to know my friends here can help me if I run into difficulties collminating the meade if it is required.

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
      #5131252 - 03/19/12 10:02 PM

On 3 separate 2045's, I've centered and rotated the secondary until the artificial star images became round both in and outside focus. Then the soft images got sharp.

Satman - we are here to help any way we can

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

#5131261 - 03/19/12 10:06 PM

Quote:

(snip)...it's good to know my friends here can help me if I run into difficulties collminating the meade if it is required.

That's what we're here for!

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #5131310 - 03/19/12 10:34 PM

These are really nifty scopes. My LX3 didn't come with the case, so I bought a Harbor Freight toolbox that it fits. Now I can take it on flights with me. I didn't bring it to Houston with me because it's supposed to rain all week while I'm here.

-Tim.

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Meade 2045 new [Re: tim53]
      #5131426 - 03/19/12 11:39 PM

I once owned the LX-3 back in '86. This was a year after obtaining a B&L 4000. I noticed that the Meade employed a lens in conjunction with and up against the secondary mirror. It's location of course meant that light passed through it twice. It had a very subtle, basic AR coating of the palest blue, and I suspect it did cause a loss of contrast and image brightness. Moreover, I could never get as sharp an image as the B&L delivered. As a result, the Meade served mainly as a proratable platform for piggyback astrophotography.

When you receive yours, could you peer up into the rear end and ascertain the presence (or not) of a lens in the secondary baffle. I'm still not sure if my scope was something of an anomaly, in spite of the fact that it was an f/10 astro OTA, and not specified as a telephoto lens.

tim53
Postmaster

Re: Meade 2045 new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5131475 - 03/20/12 12:14 AM

Glenn:

My 2045 says "Schmidt Cassegrain" around the corrector, but the spotter I have says "mirror lens" and is a Klevstov configuration, not an SCT.

-Tim.

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Meade 2045 new [Re: tim53]
      #5131499 - 03/20/12 12:34 AM

Tim,
Is the "mirror lens" also f/10? My memory is likely faulty after a quarter century (Lordy, it sounds so long ago when I put it that way!), but I really seem to recall it being the "Schmidt Cassegrain" variant. And would the mirror lens have been sold as the LX-3 equatorially-mounted system? I did purchase it new from an astro shop in Calgary.

tim53
Postmaster

#5131744 - 03/20/12 07:49 AM

Hi Glenn:

My Mirror Lens is identical in outward appearances to my 2045 SCT. I didn't believe when someone on here told me that I would find a doublet corrector "in front of" the secondary (really, one element aluminized on one side), until I took it apart.

I *think* I did the same with the SCT and found it was indeed a mirror-only secondary, but it's been a year or so and I don't remember for certain. It's easy enough to take these apart and put them back together, though.

I'm surprised that they would put the mirror lens on the LX-3 mount. Mine came as a spotter in the smaller case with eyepieces, visual back, and I think a camera adapter - and of course the tripod adapter and a finder. I bought it from the Meade booth after the post-Halley deals at RTMC in 1986 or 87. The 2045/LX3 I bought in the past few years.

To my knowledge, these were built entirely in Japan. There was no assembly at Meade in Costa Mesa.

I was working at Meade in 1979 when I "accidentally" saw prototypes of the 4 and 8" SCTs in a storeroom at the Costa Mesa facility. One of the 4" prototypes showed up here a year or two ago. They had purple tubes, rather than blue, which is how I recognized it as a prototype. But I don't know when the mirror lens versions were made with respect to the SCTs.

-Tim.

-Tim.

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
      #5131882 - 03/20/12 09:24 AM

Quote:

And would the mirror lens have been sold as the LX-3 equatorially-mounted system? I did purchase it new from an astro shop in Calgary.

Wow, while it could have been an honest mistake at the factory or they just ran out of the ota so substituted a spotter, I've seen bizarre things.

It could have also been swapped out at the dealer by someone wanting a non-spotter version of a spotter, I suppose. One time I couldn't believe what I saw, I bought a HD DVD player (1080P) and the guts were swapped with an older non-1080P version.....

SATMAN
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Meade 2045 new [Re: Jae]
      #5139181 - 03/24/12 04:00 PM

Well it arrived today I will post some pictures soon , unit appeared to be clean the optics are in good condition I haven't star tested them yet .
The main problem with the instrument is the RA shaft gear sheared off at the clock drive some time ago, I have the gear and I think I can punch out the broken pin from the spur gear with out damaging it, the clock drive shaft side appears to be more difficult it broke flush with the clock drive coupler shaft . It has to be drilled out I don't think this is easy or possible. Is there any way to modify the base so the manual slow motions do work? With out the tension on the drive gear eveything spins freely. Maybe I can create some kind of friction clutch with a a nylon bolt and nut untill I can replace the clock drive or drill out the shaft with a 1/32" diameter drill.

SATMAN
scholastic sledgehammer

#5139243 - 03/24/12 04:47 PM

Artifical star test optics Great ! symmetrical inside and out side of focus I got lucky well collminated ! Tested the motor without the gear, motor is Dead.
I think I can get the manual slow motions working until I can find a replacement drive motor . 3/8" diameter nylon bolt and nut bearing on the drive gear , non destructive and it works. It's not visible from outside the base casing As a bonus the base fits my Tri-stand.
For $30.00 how can you go wrong?

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

#5139698 - 03/24/12 11:02 PM

Sorry to hear that the drive has difficulties, but the star test sounds great! Yes, for $30 you got a great deal.

Any chance you can post a few pictures of the broken drive and motor? There might be a CNer who has a spare motor they'd be willing to part with, and most likely the rest can be cobbled together.

SATMAN
scholastic sledgehammer

#5140242 - 03/25/12 10:40 AM Attachment (102 downloads)

nice clean unit only dust on the exterior of the corrector

SATMAN
scholastic sledgehammer

#5140245 - 03/25/12 10:41 AM Attachment (70 downloads)

another

SATMAN
scholastic sledgehammer

#5140246 - 03/25/12 10:42 AM Attachment (69 downloads)

back view unit is in very good condition but one problem next photo

SATMAN
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Meade 2045 [Re: SATMAN]
      #5140249 - 03/25/12 10:43 AM Attachment (74 downloads)

it seems likly the previous owner moved the fork mounts with the RA lock engaged

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5988

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics