Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Olivier Biot
Amused

Reged: 04/25/05

Loc: 51°N (Belgium)
Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French
      #5144286 - 03/27/12 04:43 PM

Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French

By Fred Rayworth.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French new [Re: Olivier Biot]
      #5144587 - 03/27/12 07:56 PM

Nice review of a book well worth owning. It's the best book S&T has put out in several years.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French new [Re: desertstars]
      #5144697 - 03/27/12 09:03 PM

Her articles definitely are the main highlight of reading S and T. I also like that in the articles she describes the views of the objects in different apertures. Does she do this also in the book? What aperture do most of the objects require?

Feidb
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5145256 - 03/28/12 10:04 AM

She dedicates a lot of time to smaller apertures so your 4" should be able to see a majority of them, depending on sky conditions and your observing skills. She also describes each object very well and what to expect so that will help you identify them for your aperture. I would say over half of them are within range of your 4" refractor, rough guess.

Scott in NCAdministrator
80mm Refractor Fanatic

Reged: 03/05/05

Loc: NC
Re: Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French new [Re: Olivier Biot]
      #5145302 - 03/28/12 10:41 AM

Thanks for the great review, Fred! I received one of these from my family for Christmas (after some not-so-subtle hinting ), and have really enjoyed reading it. I consider it a little too nice to take out into the field, but think of it more as a "cloudy night reference" to use for planning my next observing session.

pedrete

Reged: 01/05/11

Re: Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French new [Re: Scott in NC]
      #5145413 - 03/28/12 12:00 PM

I agree, wonderful book. If you like to find gems of any difficulty in the sky in a definite date with information about them, not only the name this is a great book. But if you just want to see spectacular pictures on a cloudy night again this is a great book too.

Best,
Pedro

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French new [Re: pedrete]
      #5150587 - 03/31/12 05:59 PM

They want $50 for the book in Canada yet our dollar is on par with the US greenback, needless to say as much as I wanted to buy it I didn,t, DA.

Edited by Binojunky (03/31/12 06:01 PM)

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5151088 - 04/01/12 01:43 AM

Between Sue French's "Deep Sky Wonders" and Kepple & Sanner's "Night Sky Observer's Guide" 2-vol set, there's more worthwhile objects helpfully described and located than most of us could exhaust in our own lifetimes of observing. I have my copy of "Deep Sky Wonders with me right now, even though I'm on an extended out of town trip to Salt Lake City on which I was unable to bring any of my observing gear. The descriptions are so helpfully vivid and evocative to read, especially with a picture or two on every page to fire the imagination, that perusing a chapter or two or three of "Deep Sky Wonders" is the closest thing to a virtual observing trip while in a chair or bed indoors that one could ever hope for. Best of all, the info is so useful to see the real things for myself when I get back home to my scopes.

pedrete

#5151831 - 04/01/12 02:26 PM

Quote:

They want $50 for the book in Canada yet our dollar is on par with the US greenback, needless to say as much as I wanted to buy it I didn,t, DA.

Have you tried Amazon? I've seen the book almost half that price.

Denimsky
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/21/07

Loc: BC, Canada
      #5152214 - 04/01/12 07:13 PM

Here. It is only $25 CDN.
http://www.amazon.ca/Deep-Sky-Wonders-Universe-Telescopes-French/dp/1554077931

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French new [Re: Denimsky]
      #5152474 - 04/01/12 10:54 PM

Thanks for the info,Dave.

JakeSaloranta
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Finlandia
      #5152807 - 04/02/12 07:09 AM

Good review Fred buddy! I like Sue's work because, and like you said, she has something for everyone!

/Jake

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French new [Re: JakeSaloranta]
      #5157282 - 04/05/12 09:17 AM

Bought the book through Amazon ca, a huge saveing here in Canada, free shipping as well, it shipped the same day as ordered, thanks to the guys who gave me heads up.
I was lucky enough to meet Sue French a few years back, a really nice down to earth lady, she was at the time rescueing a creepy crawly from her tent, looking forward to getting the book, DA.

pedrete

#5157460 - 04/05/12 11:13 AM

Hello Binojunky, I'm glad youŽll get the book so nicely reviewed by Fred Rayworth. I am sure youŽll enjoy it. Mine also came from Amazon with free shipping and at a really low price.

Very nice story about Sue French. Lucky you to meet her. How I love she would sign my book but this is Spain not so near as Canada to USA. By the way, I think the publishing house (Firefly) is canadian. Am I right?
Best from Pedro

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

#5158763 - 04/06/12 08:56 AM

Pedro I got to talk to her twice over the course of the weekend,she was doing a talk at a star party I was attending, she did sign my copy of Celestial sampler with the following "To Dave,wishing you many star filled nights, Sue French, Starfest 2008" as said earlier a very nice lady,so it was four years back not two, the book arrived last night, took less than 24 hrs to get to my door with a big saving, most pleased, the best to you, Dave.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

#5158768 - 04/06/12 09:00 AM

PS Pedro, yes Fire Fly books are Canadian alas like so many things in this country the books are made and printed in China, earlier books were all Canadian,Dave.

Feidb
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
      #5158844 - 04/06/12 09:42 AM

Hey, Pedro, I used to live in Spain. I lived in Eurovillas next to Nuevo Baztan near Madrid. I was there for 10 years off and on between 1970 and 1991. Loved it. Great observing, at least back then.

pedrete

Re: Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French new [Re: Feidb]
      #5159426 - 04/06/12 03:38 PM

Hello,

lucky you I say again, Dave. Unfortunately there are little star parties in my country and yes, it seems almost everything is made now in China.

Feidb, I live 130 miles north from Madrid. I don't know the place where you lived but what a surprise, we have the same scope, a 16" LB!! Now the building overgrowth and so the lights makes a little harder everytime to find a dark place to see the sky. But fortunately for me I'm far from the light bulb of Madrid and some 100 miles to the West from my city there are very dark skies in the Sierra de la Culebra (snake mountains)

Best from Pedro

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
      #5160648 - 04/07/12 12:07 PM

I had to opportunity to spend some time observing with Sue French at the Winter Star Party this year. Dave R and I decided to go out on the berm and see what we could through other folk's scopes. We stumble on Sue and spent the better part of the hour touring the sky there. She was an absolutely stunning guide, finding stuff we didn't know about, doing things such as framing 2 or more objects in the the field. "Oh, and while you're there . . ." was a standard tactic for her, pointing out objects close to something familiar.

The book is great, and captures the essence of her style.

Boot
wildly diverse musical tastes

Reged: 06/04/07

Loc: The Outernet
Re: Book Review: Deep-Sky Wonders by Sue French new [Re: Doc Willie]
      #5161002 - 04/07/12 04:11 PM

I feel like I've met Sue hundreds of times - every time I crack open her book or read her column.

That's the magic she weaves w/ words. She is a true gem.

Joseph

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4495

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics