Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | >> (show all)
Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: zerro1]
      #5407670 - 09/07/12 02:30 AM

Quote:

I got my scope and camera out tonight... last chance before the change in weather...

Well it will be nice to see what you come up with.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #5408354 - 09/07/12 01:32 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

It's not my best effort, but I kind of like this perspective... It was only 10 X 4 minutes

EDIT: Wow...The jpg artifacts are horrible in this post... I'll see what I can do later

Edited by zerro1 (09/07/12 01:36 PM)

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5408383 - 09/07/12 01:46 PM

I guess I don't know beans about imaging. I think that pic looks really good!

7331Peg
Sirius Observer

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: North coast of Oregon
      #5408416 - 09/07/12 02:03 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

How's this now? I increased the contrast quite a bit and added a touch of brightness. The far edges of the halo are really noticeable this way! Great shot!

John

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: 7331Peg]
      #5408480 - 09/07/12 02:33 PM

Outstanding Image.

Last night was amazing..here. The 1/4 moon...Jupiter...Orion......mmmmmm

I'll be out again tonight...hope others get out

Rob

morceli
sage

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Pacific NW
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: 7331Peg]
      #5408541 - 09/07/12 03:16 PM

That's a great image of Andromeda!

I was out last night on a quest to see Triton, which unfortunately did not succeed. Given the good seeing conditions, I should have spent more time knocking out Hershel objects than staring at a tiny blue dot for over an hour.

morceli
sage

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Pacific NW
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: morceli]
      #5408570 - 09/07/12 03:30 PM

On a separate note, on that other astro website, it looks like the owner of Anacortes Telescopes is selling a 24" zambuto starmaster. $16k seems a bit overly pricey for it. But if anyone here wants to buy it, I would be happy to meet at Rattlesnake Lake for an observing session!

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: 7331Peg]
      #5408735 - 09/07/12 04:45 PM

Quote:

How's this now? I increased the contrast quite a bit and added a touch of brightness. The far edges of the halo are really noticeable this way! Great shot!

John

Thank You. That's much better. I've got too many laptops with different screen res and color representation. When I think I've got it looking good, look on another and go: eeeewwww! Then look after posting and

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: rwiederrich]
      #5408803 - 09/07/12 05:34 PM

Quote:

Outstanding Image.

Rob

I'm planning a last early morning 3am viewing session in my driveway, just before the weather deteriorates. I've managed to drag myself out every morning this week so far. The Saturday morning menu is more Moon snapshots, some Jupiter viewing, and hopefully snapshot the 3am conjunction of Jupiter and Moon (if I got the date/time right). The separation will be a little too large for the fov of my 6" SCT + DSLR, so i'll have to get a little creative. And then a bunch of crater hopping on the Moon for the Lunar II certificate.

And i also want to experiment with eyepiece projection (is that the right term?), where you supposedly hold your camera up to your eyepiece. Never got it to work with my old point&click, but i'll give it another try with my 60D + 50mm lens. Maybe my 60mm macro too? I wonder what the focus distance is for this sort of thing?

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: zerro1]
      #5409046 - 09/07/12 08:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

John

Thank You. That's much better. I've got too many laptops with different screen res and color representation. When I think I've got it looking good, look on another and go: eeeewwww! Then look after posting and

Nice M31. You have some really nice data there Robert. I bought a Spyder to calibrate my monitor after experiences like yours.

Ajay

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5409459 - 09/08/12 12:42 AM

Thank You Ajay. I may have to get one of them sometime. Priorities though: first; I'm sending my Atlas to Ed Thomas. I went through it and replaced "All" of the bearings, got a set of the Astrotroniks bolts, it's got the counter weight shaft mod(it's fat now).

I still struggle guiding with my bigger scopes in RA. Dec actually behaves pretty well. I hooked up a 90mm Mak as a guidescope the other night so I was guiding the 8" 2000mm at 1250mm and it wasn't pretty. I'm a pretty fair hand with mechanics and detail oriented, but I feel like I must have overlooked something when I had it apart. So since this Atlas is pretty much the end of the line for me(cost wise), I'm going to get it straight.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

#5409519 - 09/08/12 02:05 AM

As I said before my backyard lives up to it's name of Hazy Hollow when it comes to observing. Since there was talk about berries not long ago I want to note that when it comes to raspberries, it is a wonderful place. We've had a bumper crop this year. Picked two-three pints today and there are more on the way. The vines drooped way down to the ground. Have to manage them better next year with some support.

Vanilla ice cream and fresh raspberries, yum!

Ajay

Edit: changed quarts to pints. I am a metric guy as you well know. Pints, cups, gallons and quarts tie me up in knots.

Edited by bluedandelion (09/08/12 02:10 AM)

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Loc: Loc:
      #5409871 - 09/08/12 11:02 AM

Quote:

Ajay

I'm a little worried Ajay, whats going to happen when those vanilla atoms collide with those raspberry atoms?

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
      #5409927 - 09/08/12 11:39 AM

Quote:

...Picked two-three pints today...

So in the metric world, would you say you picked 1-2 liters, or is there a smaller measure available?

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: MadHungarian]
      #5410130 - 09/08/12 01:48 PM

Two pints is about a liter. So about 1.5l.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Sky Captain]
      #5410161 - 09/08/12 02:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ajay

I'm a little worried Ajay, whats going to happen when those vanilla atoms collide with those raspberry atoms?

Bliss man, not worries!

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: MadHungarian]
      #5410194 - 09/08/12 02:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Outstanding Image.

Rob

I'm planning a last early morning 3am viewing session in my driveway, just before the weather deteriorates. I've managed to drag myself out every morning this week so far. The Saturday morning menu is more Moon snapshots, some Jupiter viewing, and hopefully snapshot the 3am conjunction of Jupiter and Moon (if I got the date/time right). The separation will be a little too large for the fov of my 6" SCT + DSLR, so i'll have to get a little creative. And then a bunch of crater hopping on the Moon for the Lunar II certificate.

And i also want to experiment with eyepiece projection (is that the right term?), where you supposedly hold your camera up to your eyepiece. Never got it to work with my old point&click, but i'll give it another try with my 60D + 50mm lens. Maybe my 60mm macro too? I wonder what the focus distance is for this sort of thing?

Yep..I and my son got out to the Observatory at 2AM and we finished up after 5:30AM...Stunning, just stunning. We began by checking out lots of doubles in the Eastern sky...then moved to the 1/4 moon..OH BOY..it was so clear and steady it was like looking at a picture. From the South of Clavius to the Great Wall...mmmmmm all along the terminator to the Highlands. Some of the best moon viewing I have ever enjoyed. I didn't go much higher in mag then 380x. Then to Jupiter. I wasn't that impressed because no GRS to show my son...however he thought it was amazing, the bands were nice and 3 moons were visible. Some more double hunting and then to Orion. I love the aperture of this scope and the focal length...it yields great views and the nebulae was easy to make out...quite vast and defuse...the Trapezium was wonderful as well. My son had never seen Orion so it was an extra treat. All in all..last night was amazing..very dark(even though the moon was in 1/4 phase)..the Milky Way was also clearly visible. Great night...one of the best.

Rob

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: rwiederrich]
      #5410860 - 09/08/12 10:42 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

sadr
Last night. according to my guider camera seeing was very good. The previous night the seeing was pretty bad until around midnight.

BradleyB
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Olympia, WA
      #5410911 - 09/08/12 11:04 PM

I went out for a few hours last night. Hunted down a few planetary nebulas, those that I could find. I used a green laser for the first time and it really helps to get close quickly but still used the optical finder to zero in. The seeing was very steady, I had no trouble at 340x. Also found Neptune, but no Triton. I had the impression that it was not quite as transparent as it was Thursday night, so I did not pick the best night maybe, but it was very good.

Brad

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: BradleyB]
      #5411728 - 09/09/12 02:19 PM

You imagers do magic!

Pages: << 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 70721

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics