Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | >> (show all)
DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: rainycityastro]
      #5423009 - 09/15/12 09:54 PM

Quote:

Sean, realized I hadn't replied to you. Roslyn is a little town just before Cle-Elum on I-90 corridor. There is a nice sno park on the Salmon-LaSac road and very dark with no lights or traffic. If weather is clear, it is an excellent place to image or observe from

you wouldent want to be in the area now. They are evacuateing again becuase theres another wildfire in the Liberty/Table mountain area.

http://inciweb.org/incident/3256/

Lot's o Fires now. Sky transparancy is garbage. The sky has been so smonky visibility is under 3-4 miles and the sun is blood red. I can see new plumes comeing from the mountains today....

Sorry to hear about that Sean. Glad to hear your wifes ok.

Edited by DarkSkys (09/15/12 10:03 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rainycityastro
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/29/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5423011 - 09/15/12 09:54 PM

Wow! I hope she is ok.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
      #5423166 - 09/16/12 12:41 AM

Sean, take care. One of my friends got rear ended and the effects showed up a few days later. So keep an eye on it. Glad she's ok.

Ajay

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
      #5423170 - 09/16/12 12:44 AM

She is ok. She just got rattled a bit. It came out a bit worse than a normal bump because the bumper of the person who hit her was higher than her bumper. It slid right over her bumper and hit the back door of the van. You can't really brace yourself to get hit from behind, it is always a surprise and you are normally relaxed. So anyway the jolt has her sore and somewhat grumpy. I am dealing with the kids and helping around the house more.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5423283 - 09/16/12 05:22 AM

Here's a reprocess of M81-82 captured from Table mountain a few days before TMSP in 2010 with a modified Canon 350D and my SV85s at f/7.

Higher res here.

Ajay

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5423634 - 09/16/12 11:59 AM

That's a beautiful M81/M82. The Ha spike on M82 is clearly visible.

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5423666 - 09/16/12 12:21 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Well I bit the bullet, and drove up to Slate Peak. I took a drive through the meadows campground, then harts pass, then on up to Slate.(stopped to change a flat tire at the Pacific Crest Trail-head) and catch a couple photo's.

Wow! in the three years I've been venturing up there, I have never seen as many vehicles as were parked up there. Most of the time, I'm completely alone after dark.

And yes...It did get cold last night! but the sky was very nice(but I'm easy to please at 7000 feet)

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: zerro1]
      #5423677 - 09/16/12 12:26 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Just playin around while my other camera was working. (from a tripod) 5 X 15 seconds stacked. (our home light dome in the lower right corner from 100 + miles distant

And just for the record= Wow! I am out-a shape! I walked up to the top of the mountain. It didn't kill me but I had to stop a couple times

Edited by zerro1 (09/16/12 01:06 PM)

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

#5423964 - 09/16/12 03:42 PM

Those are some nice pics Robert!

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: DarkSkys]
      #5423978 - 09/16/12 03:49 PM

Quote:

you wouldent want to be in the area now. They are evacuateing again becuase theres another wildfire in the Liberty/Table mountain area.

http://inciweb.org/incident/3256/

Lot's o Fires now. Sky transparancy is garbage. The sky has been so smonky visibility is under 3-4 miles and the sun is blood red. I can see new plumes comeing from the mountains today....

Kyle, I still need to learn about that nice location you've been telling me about (near Yakima)
I ended up going both Fri and Sat night to the Sno Park in Salmon La Sac. Visibility on Fri was incredibly good: Milky way views rivaled Goldendale. Last night wasn't that great but I got some decent data.
For the first time ever, I imaged the same object on both nights and ended up with almost 12 hours of good data. Now's the equally hard part of processing all this.

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: rainycityastro]
      #5424268 - 09/16/12 07:32 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Thank You Ram... I'll have to drag you up there some time. Mike(spaced) was supposed to be up there but since i've never met him I didn't really know who I was looking for. I'd be interested to hear his report. I actually had a focus number of FWHM 2.1 in BYEOS on Arcturas. I don't see that kind of number from home.

Thats a really nice Image Ajay! Beautiful color!

This is where the go-to put the heart and after someones dog got tangled in my cables, I just went with it for framing. The poor little guy didn't utter a peep. I could hear one of my cables going "tink...tink" against the tripod leg. He knew he was in trouble and when we shined a light on him he was just standing still as he could. You'd a thought he was tangled in barbed wire... I called him but nope..not going to move.

Canon 1000D 15 X 7 minutes

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

#5424709 - 09/17/12 12:51 AM

Thank you Ram and Robert.

Robert nice pictures of the evening sky and the Heart. I think the Heart is a little more stretchable. (no pun intended).

Ajay

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

#5424766 - 09/17/12 01:44 AM

Well I must say the little dog didn't do too bad Great shots everybody!

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Cloudy WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Stacy]
      #5424781 - 09/17/12 02:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I really should be up at Hurricane Ridge tonight with my scope, but i just couldn't bring myself to drive all the way up there (2 hours + mountain road) in the dark, plus set up in a strange new place in the dark, probably all alone, with imaginary bears watching me from all sides.

What I hear from Mike is the caretaker up there is an avid astronomer. Chances are on a clear night with a new moon you wouldn't be alone. And you would probably be out of the smoke plaguing the other areas of the state.

If my RV was back together I'd be EXTREMELY tempted to join you up there. I wouldn't feel too comfortable all alone up there but it's worth a drive at night just to climb up the hill to look at the lights of Victoria. (Which are very well shielded in the lower parking lot). Port Angeles is my birthplace BTW.

Did make it up to Hurricane Ridge Saturday night. A nice clear night with very few clouds and just a little (smoke?) haze. Milky Way quite nice. A little chilly. Ploughed my way through a few dozen Herschel-400 faint fuzzies. That gives me about 50 herschels now. Plus one one more Messier which brings me to 107 messiers. Getting close.

One other starwatcher was there for a couple hours, but then I was mostly alone, but not too nervous. An occasional other random car hung around for awhile doing whatever random cars do in the dark. I'm convinced one of them was full of people doing chinese fire drills every five minutes, but at least they didn't make much light.

Nice pictures, everyone!

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

#5426573 - 09/18/12 12:35 AM

Quote:

Thank You Ram... I'll have to drag you up there some time.

Harts pass is definitely on my "must-do" list. One of my imaging buddies (who goes by AndySea on CN) complained about the wind up at that altitude.
I would probably want to go up there and just observe some time. No imaging!

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

#5426590 - 09/18/12 12:42 AM

Here are the fruits of my labor from last Fri and Sat.

5 hours of Ha on this object. Believe me, it is quite faint!

Higher Resolution image and details here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramv/7998535029/in/photostream/lightbox/

zerro1
Postmaster

#5426643 - 09/18/12 01:41 AM

Hey Ram that is really crisp! I actually run into more wind problems down in Winthrop. I do prep for wind because it can come up or change directions. It did change directions on me on Saturday. One thing I've found up there; if you keep your rig close to the ground and image just back from the edge of the drop off, the wind tends to jump over the ridge top being directed by the face of the slope. I just took my canon up and left my CCD's at home. But hey, The sky is incredible at that altitude and lack of LP, Part of the draw for me is just looking while my camera does the work. not too many more imaging chances this year at that altitude but I'll be trying to make at least one more trip.

I wonder if Mike made it up, or if he thought the smoke was going to be a problem? There was some haze but it didn't interfere with me..

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
      #5426879 - 09/18/12 08:24 AM

That is the beginnings of another work of art Ram.

I would really like to try some high altitude observing. As long as it is not windy, it should be much better. Less atmosphere to obscure the view and very dark skies, it sounds perfect.

I missed out on viewing last weekend but, I did make life easier for my wife so there was some good that came out of it. She hasn't been her normal self since getting in the accident. Anyway, I am glad you guys took advantage of the new moon weekend and got some time out.
Is Mike still up there?

square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
      #5427627 - 09/18/12 03:21 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

Quote:

Well I bit the bullet, and drove up to Slate Peak. I took a drive through the meadows campground, then harts pass, then on up to Slate.(stopped to change a flat tire at the Pacific Crest Trail-head) and catch a couple photo's.

Wow! in the three years I've been venturing up there, I have never seen as many vehicles as were parked up there. Most of the time, I'm completely alone after dark.

And yes...It did get cold last night! but the sky was very nice(but I'm easy to please at 7000 feet)

Oh, man. You should have stopped by. Mike had his Webster set up on the astro pad. We had a nice cozy camp.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: square_peg]
      #5427960 - 09/18/12 06:08 PM

Cozy it was! Maybe this evening I'll have a chance to reply to several notes, and to post a pic or two.

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 69467

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics