Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | >> (show all)
MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: square_peg]
      #5428027 - 09/18/12 06:38 PM

Oh, this almost makes me want to actually go astro-camping. Do they make propane-powered microwave ovens?

However i do worry about the springs of my poor overloaded subaru on those mountain roads (and i noticed someone mentioning having to change a flat). Not to mention what those mountain roads might do to my scope.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: MadHungarian]
      #5428075 - 09/18/12 07:12 PM

Quote:

Do they make propane-powered microwave ovens?

Sort of. But they're called Dutch ovens and they're powered by charcoal or firewood. Mike used his to make a fantastic roasted chicken on Saturday night and I made a passable pot roast in mine on Sunday night. Dutch ovens take a little practice but they're fun to use and with them you can cook virtually anything that you could cook with a conventional oven/range. We've made pies, pizzas, stews, breads - you name it, it cooks in a Dutch oven.

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: square_peg]
      #5428235 - 09/18/12 08:45 PM

Did you drive up to roads end at Slate, and take a little stroll to the top? How did you like the view of the Milky Way?

There was a guy from Oregon, who came up to the parking area I was imaging at. He said he almost turned back He kept waiting for it to get dark. I said you don't really want that, because the only way it really get's dark is if the clouds roll in to block the star light...

square_peg
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: zerro1]
      #5428619 - 09/19/12 01:35 AM

Yeah, we hiked up to the old lookout tower on Slate Peak. What a view! The Milky Way looked great but I've seen it better. Transparency was only good not terrific this past weekend.

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: rainycityastro]
      #5428706 - 09/19/12 04:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

you wouldent want to be in the area now. They are evacuateing again becuase theres another wildfire in the Liberty/Table mountain area.

http://inciweb.org/incident/3256/

Lot's o Fires now. Sky transparancy is garbage. The sky has been so smonky visibility is under 3-4 miles and the sun is blood red. I can see new plumes comeing from the mountains today....

Kyle, I still need to learn about that nice location you've been telling me about (near Yakima)
I ended up going both Fri and Sat night to the Sno Park in Salmon La Sac. Visibility on Fri was incredibly good: Milky way views rivaled Goldendale. Last night wasn't that great but I got some decent data.
For the first time ever, I imaged the same object on both nights and ended up with almost 12 hours of good data. Now's the equally hard part of processing all this.

Wow, sounds like a great place, mabey the new table mountain!

I've been trying to head up there, though with all the smoke that sky hasent even been worth thinking about. Theres so much dust/smoke from the fires that the Light polution skyglow rivals a full moon! I was straining to see 4th mag at zenith, and normaly my house is high 5's.

MadHungarian
sage

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: DarkSkys]
      #5429409 - 09/19/12 03:11 PM

I like these longer nights we're finally starting to have again. I think I can actually make a mid-week run down to Rattlesnake Lake after work, start observing around 9pm, get 2-3 hours in, and get back home between midnight and 1am. Still gives me a few hours sleep before waking up at 7:30am. Classic programmer's hours. Anyway, i'm thinking of maybe running down there tonight, if the weather holds out. But i don't know - there seems to be some majorly serious haze out right now. Can't even see the Mountain.

Edited by MadHungarian (09/19/12 05:18 PM)

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: MadHungarian]
      #5431347 - 09/20/12 05:14 PM

Ram I went flying last night and that area looked terrible - full of smoke. I was thinking the same idea, but it doesn't look good for the next few days.

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/29/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: SteveG]
      #5432006 - 09/21/12 12:43 AM

It seems like it is getting pretty bad now. First time I'm seeing a forecast like "extremely warm and smoky"
Never thought I'd be praying for rain.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: rainycityastro]
      #5432023 - 09/21/12 01:06 AM

Ram, I was going to ask if you wanted to go over to Cle Elum this weekend, but I gave up on that idea after looking at the sky this afternoon. Its been tis way for a week and the fires show no sign of dying.

Very nice image of the Cocoon.

Ajay

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5434341 - 09/22/12 12:18 PM

Ok..... I already know that I am not alone in the recognition that certain things are being changed with out notice, deleted, Etc. I's a forgone conclusion that the people that host these forums, can and do make adjustments. Example: when language not suitable for all, comes out as a *bleep*, or when reference to some item that is for sale; deleted.

But my response to another member has been deleted. it contained no reference to any item, web site, or foul language. The Whole "like it never happened" thing is really upsetting. There was nothing in my post that was against the TOS.

square_peg
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: zerro1]
      #5434387 - 09/22/12 12:46 PM

If a moderator edits or deletes your post then you should have received a PM explaining why. But also, CN's forum software is quite old - yet comfortable like a well worn shoe. Sometimes the system has a hiccup and loses something. Despite that I still like this format better than any other I've used.

I was an administrator of this site for 6 years and I saw many inexplicable things happen. Personally, I blame it on the gnomes.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: zerro1]
      #5434407 - 09/22/12 12:54 PM

Quote:

We've made pies, pizzas, stews, breads - you name it, it cooks in a Dutch oven.

Yes, that's all true but it lacks emotion. You ain't had *nothin'* 'til you've had warm fresh huckleberry pie while camping in a mountain forest!

Robert, your untasteful experience has happened to me before and while, as a general principal, I think I'm a far more likely TOS-tester than most, I was equally baffled at the time. Frustrating, eh?

A couple of days ago I put Sky Safari Plus (the middle of three levels) on my phone and just yesterday I finished working my way through the excellent help files. Wow! That is an utterly amazing program. Incredibly intuitive interface, much more than adequate database, excellent features. Despite the tiny cell phone screen I'll get a lot of use out of it. I think the 20% off deal ends tomorrow. Cost me $11.99. Unbelievable value.

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Spaced]
      #5434433 - 09/22/12 01:09 PM

Wel the thing is that My post was as a response to another user who was upset that his post had been deleted. The post I responded to is gone as well as my response.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5434446 - 09/22/12 01:19 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Tom and I occupied two campsites. We had our "living" area on one side of the road (Tom's pic) where I parked the Explorer, and our two tents on the other side (Tom's truck.) Here's a pic of the other side.

MadHungarian
sage

#5434481 - 09/22/12 01:35 PM

Quote:

Tom and I occupied two campsites. We had our "living" area on one side of the road (Tom's pic) where I parked the Explorer, and our two tents on the other side (Tom's truck.) Here's a pic of the other side.

<deleted>Your picture doesn't seem to have come through.</deleted>

So how was the smoke up there? Does that look like a decent way to work around smoke haze?

Edited by MadHungarian (09/22/12 03:23 PM)

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5434506 - 09/22/12 01:50 PM

Hi, Emery. It took me about a half hour working with an unfamiliar program to resize the dang picture so it wouldn't be rejected.

Altitude is definitely one way to minimize smoke. We turned off Hwy. 20 at Mazama, 2100'. We climbed to and camped at Meadows, 6200'. Smoke was thick at Mazama, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 mi. visibility or something like that. Where we camped there was only a slight reduction in transparency . . . still a decent (not great) Milky Way. The tippy-top -- Slate Peak -- is at 7400' but I wasn't up there at night. I'm curious how the additional 1200' affected transparency.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5434583 - 09/22/12 02:43 PM

I was parked with my scope setup right next to the gate that is the end-of-road to slate peak. Coming from our light dome, or even table mountain(praying for rain) a less than the best night is still better (IMHO) at the higher location. seeing and transparencey are affected by the weather from the west quite often, being on the crest-line of the mountain range, but I've had only one or two instances when humidity (dewing) became an issue.

MadHungarian
sage

#5434606 - 09/22/12 02:49 PM

Quote:

Hi, Emery. It took me about a half hour working with an unfamiliar program to resize the dang picture so it wouldn't be rejected.

Altitude is definitely one way to minimize smoke. We turned off Hwy. 20 at Mazama, 2100'. We climbed to and camped at Meadows, 6200'. Smoke was thick at Mazama, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 mi. visibility or something like that. Where we camped there was only a slight reduction in transparency . . . still a decent (not great) Milky Way. The tippy-top -- Slate Peak -- is at 7400' but I wasn't up there at night. I'm curious how the additional 1200' affected transparency.

I've found that saving the image at a low-quality jpeg setting (or as a quick&dirty workaround just saving it once from Windows Paint) gets the filesize down low enough even at 800x600 or so resolution, and doesn't affect the screen display quality too much.

Well, next year if we have this late-summer (it's actually Fall now officially, i think) smoke haze, i'll think about doing some viewing at either Slate Peak, Sunrise Point (~6000'), or Hurricane Ridge (5200'). Or all three. Imperfect viewing being better than no viewing at all...

MadHungarian
sage

#5434613 - 09/22/12 03:01 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Here's a 10-second snapshot (16mm wideangle) i took last weekend from halfway down the Hurricane Ridge road (at that turnout just before the three tunnels). You can see the Victoria lights in the far distance. Looked a lot better before i shrank it though.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5434650 - 09/22/12 03:32 PM Attachment (8 downloads)

Nice snapshot! the trees are a nice touch!

I know I've done this one to death... was waiting for the California Neb to get into position the other night. shot 30 X 5 minutes. I was pretty horrified when I started taking some flat frames, to notice that the ccd window was frosting up. was able to recover though.

Pages: << 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 70681

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics