Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | >> (show all)
Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Stacy]
      #5511495 - 11/09/12 11:54 AM

Stacy, I should appoint you my sales agent.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5511558 - 11/09/12 12:39 PM

Quote:

Stacy, I should appoint you my sales agent.

I am a bargain hound, but sweet Jennika puts me to shame.

Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: SteveG]
      #5511565 - 11/09/12 12:43 PM

Quote:

Yep - Same at my house. I lugged out my 10" to my back deck, and after 1.5 hrs of cool-down I was rewarded with some very nice views of Jupiter. I've decided I now need an XW10!

LOOK!

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

#5511636 - 11/09/12 01:14 PM

Quote:

Got out with my new (to me) older Adlerblick 7x50. Man these things are awesome! Super light weight (about 22oz.) and nice wide view (7*). Got these free with some large binos I got last week (and sold in S&S) They are exactly like these and in like new condition.

Jupiter was sweet as was the double cluster and Pleiades. .... Well, that's pretty much what these are made for. Simply stunning.

Sold the Pentax 7x50's the Nikon 10x50's and the Orion 16x80's and ended up with some nice Steiner 10x40's and these and still came out $100 ahead. Combing Craigslist pays off every once in awhile...

Hey Stacy, have you ever tried image stabilizing binoc's? A friend of mine has some 6x30's, but I've not yet looked through them at night. I've heard that the steady image makes up for the lack of aperture. Sounds perfect for these really cold nights!

SteveG
Post Laureate

#5511675 - 11/09/12 01:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

LOOK!

Thanks, I justed pm'd him!

Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: SteveG]
      #5511853 - 11/09/12 03:24 PM

Quote:

Hey Stacy, have you ever tried image stabilizing binoc's? A friend of mine has some 6x30's, but I've not yet looked through them at night. I've heard that the steady image makes up for the lack of aperture. Sounds perfect for these really cold nights!

Yes, and they're awesome and I could have used them last night. It was cold enough I was having even a bit of trouble with the 7X50's. Really missing the Canon 15x50 IS I sold last month. Just a bit too spendy and my lovely wife wanted an Italian leather sofa for the new RV. She really doesn't ask for much and here I am with my spendy binos. So I sold them and got the sofa she wanted. It was worth it, although I have noticed the brownie points I earned don't really seem to last very long!

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Spaced]
      #5512186 - 11/09/12 07:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am now thinking that rereading the "song of ice and fire" series may be in the cards. I was so hooked on the world he created in that series that i read them very quickly so I think reading them again may be fun.

Sean, I read that series earlier this year -- actually just finished about a month ago. Amazing stuff. Bring on the next!

And if you aren't daunted by multi-volume stories of epic length, I've been "reading" (recorded books) and recommend "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. It's superb.

The weather-guesser is saying we may be able to see something other than clouds Friday.

. . . and speaking of clouds, Saturday Anne & I saw the movie "Cloud Atlas." They did a terrific job making a movie out of a very complex story. (Sean, that's a book you'd really enjoy.) I disagree with the critics on this one. Go see it!

I started the dark tower books as a teenager and was tortured through the incredible wait between book 3 and book four. I promised myself that I would never start an unfinished series again but, I didn't know it was unfinished when I started it. I found spoilers online when I tried to check it out (song of ice and fire) so I didn't look anymore. I enjoyed both series except the last few dark tower books weren't quite up to expectations for me.
Rereading has been rewarding. There is a lot of subtle things in the books and I missed them by reading straight through. Anyway, it is an awesome series. I have been hanging out in the podcast of ice and fire forums to discuss the books more in depth. The podcast are entertaining too. It beats being miserable about the clouds.

rainycityastro
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/29/10

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5512268 - 11/09/12 08:28 PM

Well, tonight might be clear. Atleast according to a couple of weather sites. I'm going to Rattlesnake to see Orion for the first time this season (and test some gear)
Anybody joining?

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: rainycityastro]
      #5512477 - 11/09/12 11:32 PM

Quote:

I'd really like to get some IS binocs but they're pretty expensive. I was making some inquiries in the Bino forum about a year ago for a friend and was surprised to learn that they tend to have smaller apertures than we usually use. For instance, I remember Tony Flanders said his favorite binos are a pair of 12 X 30 IS. Someday when I'm feeling rich, maybe.

I'm set up in the driveway and expect to go out around 11. Here's [clink] to clear night for us all.

Got the word, my iPad Mini is due to arrive next Thurs.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
      #5512607 - 11/10/12 01:36 AM

Clear Sky Chart was remarkably accurate for my location. Had a clear window from 8-10. Cooled the TMB for over an hour and, Oh Baby, it was worth it! During moments of clear seeing Jupiter was a treat - three bands with some hint of structure with a 6 mm ortho (150X). Didn't really observe much else except to marvel at the airy disk of Capella and the pinpoint stars of the Pleiades. This one's a keeper.

Wish I could join you Ram, but I am slammed at work.

Ajay

Edited by bluedandelion (11/10/12 01:39 AM)

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5512743 - 11/10/12 06:46 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Speaking of Jupiter, it was just amazing in my CPC1100 last night. I've never seen it so good. I include here a single snapshot (unstacked and mostly unprocessed) from my 60d and new Powermate 4x. An improvement from my last Jupiter picture, but not as good as i was seeing visually. Now if only i had a planetary-webcam and stacking software.

Edited by MadHungarian (11/10/12 06:50 AM)

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: MadHungarian]
      #5512753 - 11/10/12 07:10 AM

Nice Jupiter, Emery!

I set up early and cooled down from maybe 7:30 to 11 while I did other stuff indoors. When I went out at 11 there was already a bit of frost in places. Pretty soon a friend came over, followed by Maggie and boy friend.

The seeing and transparency were just terrific tonight. Jupiter was super-crisp at 217X, with much detail within the bands and all over the planet.

Other than M35, Jupiter was about the only thing we looked at with Sugaree. I couldn't find anything because (a) the Telrad wasn't working right, in lock step with (b) I couldn't get a AZ reading with the Argo Nav. Very frustrating.

But I spent a lot of time with the 8 X 40 Regal binocs. In the process of looking for (and finding) Ceres. At first Ceres was averted vision only, but when it got high overhead I could see it plainly, of course by then I knew what to look for. I spent a great deal of time picking my way through the area where Gemini's northernmost foot, Taurus and Orion come together, going back and forth from map to binos, trying to learn the small area. I eventually went looking for Vesta. I'm sure I had its area centered in the binocs and probably correctly identified the small group of stars disguising it, but I ran out of gas before nailing it. It *should* be visible in my binocs, since it's Mag 7.0, compared to 7.8 for Ceres. There's a very good locator map in the Oct. S & T observing section.

The other thing that was cool was using Sky Safari on my cell phone. (But my hands got so cold I was afraid I'd drop the phone on the concrete.) SS is an incredibly functional, easy to use program. The maps and search function were the right tool for the job. I could use the Search function to put crosshairs on Ceres and center it in the map when I needed to. I'm really looking forward to using SS it on my iPad Mini when it comes.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

#5513165 - 11/10/12 12:58 PM

Emery, that image shows a lot of detail. The stacked image should be even better. Mike, I've never seen any of the asteroids. Bet it was fun to find it.

Had a little problem with equipment as happens with long breaks between sessions. By the time I began to observe conditions at Hazy Hollow were beginning to get worse. So I did not up the magnification. I should also add that the satellites showed nice round Airy disks at 150X. Never seen those so well defined before.

Ajay

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Rainy WA
      #5513305 - 11/10/12 03:11 PM

I was able to catch Ceres (and Vestra) myself at Pixieland this year. Tracked their movements for three nights there.

It WAS a little chilly last night. Got a bunch of fog moving in&out up where i was, so i was mainly splitting double stars. The scope and everything else was covered in frost, and all my multitudinous dew heater straps (six of them!) at full throttle were just barely able to keep up. My orange juice froze. Everything is still drying out and recharging this morning. The scope was behaving a little erratically for a bit also, whether from the wet fog or the dew heater power load, i know not. CPC1100's are known to act up when their voltage drops. But it settled down again later.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Stacy]
      #5513435 - 11/10/12 04:45 PM

Quote:

Yes, and they're awesome and I could have used them last night. It was cold enough I was having even a bit of trouble with the 7X50's. Really missing the Canon 15x50 IS I sold last month. Just a bit too spendy and my lovely wife wanted an Italian leather sofa for the new RV. She really doesn't ask for much and here I am with my spendy binos. So I sold them and got the sofa she wanted. It was worth it, although I have noticed the brownie points I earned don't really seem to last very long!

Good for you Stacy - you've got your priorities right!

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: SteveG]
      #5513991 - 11/11/12 04:46 AM Attachment (10 downloads)

I spent a little time imaging from home on Friday night. got 18 X 5 minutes with my QHY8 before some clouds rolled through. First use of my Atlas since getting it back from Deep Space Products. it's not my best work but its certainly better than the "nothing I've been getting for the last couple months"

Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: zerro1]
      #5514271 - 11/11/12 11:12 AM

Way better than nothing!

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Stacy]
      #5514333 - 11/11/12 11:50 AM

Robert, that looks great. Any thoughts on how well autoguiding works after the tuning?

Ajay

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #5515137 - 11/11/12 09:45 PM

Thanks Stacy, and Ajay.

Actually RA worked better than it ever has. To gain a better understanding; my Atlas was a bit on the tight side in DEC and RA, so ballance was less critical before. Now; holy cow, it is very easy to rotate either axis so I need to look at how I address the ballance in DEC. I had a few instances where DEC went a bit astray on me. I never did check the polar scope to be sure it was well aligned after shipping, but don't think the "side trips in the graph" were a result of PA. It actually looked more like play/backlash(although it doesn't "feel" like there is any).

bottom line: one short "throw it on the ground and turn it on session" isn't really a good measure of how good it is now.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: zerro1]
      #5515435 - 11/12/12 01:49 AM

I went back and dug up some data on the California Nebula from 2009 to see what I had. My field of view is not as wide as Robert's. This is from my early days in imaging. Even though the composition is a bit compromised there's some detail in what I caught. Shot from Brooks memorial State Park with an SV85s and Canon 350D. No filters.

Looks better at medium or large resolutions.

What scope did you use Robert?

Ajay

Edited by bluedandelion (11/12/12 01:51 AM)

Pages: << 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 70689

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics