Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | >> (show all)
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5704556 - 02/27/13 11:59 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the links Stacy. I imagine the drive to the ranch must be somewhat saner than the steep narrow approach to the original TMSP.

Ajay

If you think the road to Table is steep and narrow you wouldn't like Slate Peak.. Table mountain is reminiscent of Interstate 5 in comparison

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Spaced]
      #5704583 - 02/28/13 12:26 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Quote:

Oooooh!

Keep postin', Ajay & Robt.!

Ok... here's Comet Hartley 2 next to the Pacman Neb (NGC281) on October 1st 2010 from Slate Peak. A little bit of very high altitude haze came through towards the last of my sub exposures. That is the reason for the fuzzy ball of a star on the left. It made enough of a difference in the comet and NGC281 to keep the offending subs.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: zerro1]
      #5704614 - 02/28/13 12:51 AM

Wow. I turn my back for a few hours & all goes nuts. Table Mountain near Oroville? Ajay unrepentant closet deadhead? Obama joins GOP?

Well, Ajay, yes I have attended "countless" Dead shows but not really a lot; I just lost count. My best estimate is 50, +/- 10. And I promise, it isn't a case of being unable to remember the '60s because I was there, it's just that the earlier ones (starting in Germany, '72) were a long time ago. I have a lust for great music of all kinds. I wish you could have heard them when Keith and Donna played with them, in the '70s.

I'm surprised that the dark sky map for the new TMSP site doesn't show darker skies. I don't know exactly where Eden Valley Ranch is but generally that area is pretty rural and, as someone said, the light domes should be smaller. In fact, I'd expect any light dome around there to be smaller (but nearer) than The Dalles & Hood River appear from Pixieland. I'm sure it will be *lots* darker than the actual Table Mountain. Kind of a long drive but paved and good highways all the way. But it can really bake in the summer. And Brad, I think you must mean it's around 250, not 350 to G/dale from Oly.

Well, I'm going to turn my back for a few more hours and see what happens next. This is pretty cool!

square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
      #5704647 - 02/28/13 01:27 AM

Thanks for the info about Table Mtn. I think they made a good call.

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5704694 - 02/28/13 02:26 AM

Quote:

I'm surprised that the dark sky map for the new TMSP site doesn't show darker skies. I don't know exactly where Eden Valley Ranch is......

And Brad, I think you must mean it's around 250, not 350

Ahem, Mike, I put the marker right in the middle of the observing feild at Eden Valley, and I think Bradly was talking about OSP being 350. I'll cut you some slack given your colorful history with The Dead. I am sure the 60's remember you.

Stacy
Star Partyer

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Stacy]
      #5704698 - 02/28/13 02:31 AM

Awesome comet shot Robert!

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5705082 - 02/28/13 10:42 AM

'60s? What '60s?

square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
      #5705342 - 02/28/13 01:21 PM

Quote:

I'll cut you some slack given your colorful history with The Dead. I am sure the 60's remember you.

Bob Weir still tells stories about Mike.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5706107 - 02/28/13 08:05 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised that the dark sky map for the new TMSP site doesn't show darker skies. I don't know exactly where Eden Valley Ranch is but generally that area is pretty rural and, as someone said, the light domes should be smaller

Well I think the pollution map leans toward the heavy side. They show Winthrop as a yellow zone... and my friends place outside of town as a blue. I don't agree! I live in a Yellow to Orange zone that is horrible compared to the center of Winthrop. I can't open the shutter on my DSLR for 2 minutes at home without being blown out by LP. Geeze I could set up my camera on the front porch of 3 Fingered Jacks and shoot longer than 2 minute subs.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
      #5706194 - 02/28/13 09:13 PM

Quote:

Wow. I turn my back for a few hours & all goes nuts. Table Mountain near Oroville? Ajay unrepentant closet deadhead? Obama joins GOP?

Nope, that was Ram. Couldn't name a Grateful Dead song to save my life. I've been known to once mistake (may be its Jerry Garcia's beard) the Dead with ZZ-Top

Nice Comet Hartley, Robert.

Ajay

Myles
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/25/06

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5706303 - 02/28/13 10:12 PM

Excited to see the new TMSP site. Looks like it it could be real improvement with respect to the dark sky. However, we are leaning towards missing our first TMSP in 6 years. Got other trips crowded in August and looking to spread out summer fun. Sending the kids to horse camp the Monday after TMSP. So we may opt for a July trip to Golden State SP in Adin California instead of Table. Went there in 2008 & 2009 and have wanted to go back. Ironic that the too settings are a similar. I hope TMSP is a success this year so we can see the local in 2014, if its back Table Mt that would be OK as we love the "original" setting even if it is a bit "crispy"

Hope everyone who gets has great time at Eden Ranch.

Also, looking forward to fall Camp Delany, spring - not sure it will fit in this year. May take the opportunity to rent an RV as we've been wanting to try one. Camp Delany is a real interesting setting for astronomy.

Clear skies to everyone ...

Myles

Edited by Myles (02/28/13 10:15 PM)

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Myles]
      #5706841 - 03/01/13 09:34 AM

WE would love to see you at Camp Delany, Myles.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5707200 - 03/01/13 01:36 PM

Hey Myles - you going to make Goldendale in June?

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: SteveG]
      #5707401 - 03/01/13 03:53 PM

"Nope, that was Ram. Couldn't name a Grateful Dead song to save my life. I've been known to once mistake (may be its Jerry Garcia's beard) the Dead with ZZ-Top"

Oops. . . . I'll have to adjust the sophistometer settings for you and Ram.

Stacy
Star Partyer

#5707540 - 03/01/13 05:40 PM

How is Goldendale in April or May Mike?

Myles
professor emeritus

#5708115 - 03/02/13 02:20 AM

Quote:

WE would love to see you at Camp Delany, Myles.

Thanks Cliff - I look forward to coming again, great group you guys are. Fall will be on our calendar, spring is more iffy at this point.

I am trying to remember the RV parking - is it pretty much park it and leave it or is there room drive out for day excursions?

- Myles

Myles
professor emeritus

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: SteveG]
      #5708123 - 03/02/13 02:30 AM

Quote:

Hey Myles - you going to make Goldendale in June?

Steve, thanks for mentioning it I have to admit I haven't been following the thread as much during the Seahawks' season & winter months, but when I look in at the post counts/thread length I am always amazed - we really have crummy weather that keeps us talking more than viewing;)

So I missed the date on the June Goldendale - I would guess it is around new moon June 7th? - is there a separate thread or earlier announcement post?

I would definitely be interested in coming, work permitting - a 3 person off-hours on-call rotation (1 week on, 2 weeks off) has me doing a lot horse-trading during the summer to free up for trips. I sometimes end up with 3 weeks in a row to free up rest of the summer's new moons.

- Myles

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5708365 - 03/02/13 09:04 AM

Quote:

So I missed the date on the June Goldendale - I would guess it is around new moon June 7th? - is there a separate thread or earlier announcement post?

If someone would PM me with upcoming Star Parties, I will add them to the Sticky, Here.

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
      #5709069 - 03/02/13 04:11 PM

Myles,

We can work it so you can Drive in and out depending on the lenght. We would probably back you into a normal parking spot so your rear end hangs over the grass.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5709276 - 03/02/13 06:12 PM

Quote:

How is Goldendale in April or May Mike?

In what sense?

Quote:

That right, Myles, the "official" dates are 6/7 --> 6/9, but it'll be open for a couple of days before and after those dates. I made mention a couple of pages back but I haven't yet started the separate thread for this year's. I hope you find yourself able to come this year, possibly with family.

Quote:

If someone would PM me with upcoming Star Parties, I will add them to the Sticky, Here.

Carol, I'll do that after I start this year's thread for the G/dale weekend, so your addition can contain a link.

Wintergrass was a blast, with but one disappointment. I really like the new venue, at the Hyatt Regency in Bellevue. The one disappointment was that Peter Rowan appeared simply as the guitar player in someone else's straight bluegrass band, instead of fronting his own band and playing his music; but that's a pretty small nit on a great afternoon & evening.

Pages: << 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 70855

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics