Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | >> (show all)
Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/06/10

Loc: always cloudy, washington
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: zerro1]
      #5717473 - 03/06/13 10:50 PM

I have to work Saturday but, I may try to come.

For the IS binos: I only have experience with one type but, they are great. 12x36 is ii are pretty nice. Be warned though that they do not come with objective covers/caps. I like everything else about them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5717563 - 03/07/13 12:10 AM

Emery, I don't know enough to make recommendations. I *really* like my 12X36s. A strong influence on my choice was Gary Seronik's review of several IS binocs, here. I also had in the back of my mind a comment by Tony Flanders maybe a year ago, lauding his 12 X 36s.

MadHungarian
sage

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Cloudy WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5717631 - 03/07/13 01:33 AM

Quote:

The weather forecast remains positive.

I proposed to Anne and to Maggie that we go over early Saturday in two cars. We could hike up the Umptanum Creek trail for a couple of miles then return. They could go home in Anne's car while I set up for astronomy.

It's possible i might show up too, Saturday afternoon. I really hate traveling, but the local forecasts are starting to look a little more sketchy now with some grim mutterings about fog also. And i know my local viewing spots are all vulnerable to fog, and it just kills Herschel viewing.

Thanks for the IS binocular info too...

Edited by MadHungarian (03/07/13 10:31 AM)

square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
      #5717663 - 03/07/13 02:26 AM

Quote:

I proposed to Anne and to Maggie that we go over early Saturday in two cars. We could hike up the Umptanum Creek trail for a couple of miles then return. They could go home in Anne's car while I set up for astronomy.

I would love to join you Mike but I think I'll use the dry day to try to get my vegetable garden ready for Spring.

Overnight temps looks like they'll be in the high 20's - not too bad.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=46.8559652134879&lon=-120.47...

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: square_peg]
      #5718301 - 03/07/13 12:06 PM

I hope to see you, Emery. And you're welcome.

Quote:

I would love to join you Mike but I think I'll use the dry day to try to get my vegetable garden ready for Spring.

A guy's gotta eat.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Spaced]
      #5720451 - 03/08/13 12:40 PM

Looks like we might be clear tonight. I'm thinking about Rattlesnake Lake for some winter viewing.

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: SteveG]
      #5720480 - 03/08/13 12:54 PM

it's looking good out north of Everett too

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: zerro1]
      #5720763 - 03/08/13 04:04 PM

Anyone going out closer to home tomorrow night? 2 hours or less from Marysville?

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5720884 - 03/08/13 05:31 PM

I don't even know when I get off work tomorrow, let alone that I'll probably be wiped out from such an early start.

sleepy
9/11 Medic

Reged: 07/10/10

Loc: The Columbia Gorge/ OR
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: zerro1]
      #5721531 - 03/09/13 02:35 AM

Just throwing a shout from the gorge here. Panstarrs was epic tonight with my little 10. How's everybodys agenda lately?

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: sleepy]
      #5721644 - 03/09/13 05:09 AM

Quote:

Just throwing a shout from the gorge here. Panstarrs was epic tonight with my little 10. How's everybodys agenda lately?

Great. I'm hopeing to see it on sat or sunday night from my aunt's place, they have better horizons than I do.

Tonight was beautiful, air was steady. I did some Bino Observeing of the winter milky way and had a campfire for a few hours. I noticed the LP at my house is getting worse though, i'm into the high 4-low 5 mag at zenith now. I think I've lost .5 mag in the last 3 years.

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: zerro1]
      #5721764 - 03/09/13 08:25 AM

Quote:

I don't even know when I get off work tomorrow, let alone that I'll probably be wiped out from such an early start.

That's the problem I always have. I start work at 5am. I get up at 3:45 in order to get to work by that time. That is why I was trying to go closer to home, so I could potentially take a nap before heading out.

Right now I am sitting in the parking lot at work waiting to go in. 4:55am.
I am not looking forward to daylight savings time at all. I really want someone to do a voter initiative tostay at standard time all year.

Anyway, if you or anyone else is setting up tonight, let me know if you want company. Otherwise, I may just set up at home or out in gold bar.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5721847 - 03/09/13 09:17 AM

Quote:

I am not looking forward to daylight savings time at all. I really want someone to do a voter initiative tostay at standard time all year.

I don't work, but absolutely hate DST! Can't begin observing until around 11pm during the Summer, & daybreak starts around 3:30. Now, they've started it way early, & ending it later. Arrrrrgh!

DarkSkys
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/10

Loc: In the dark desert of Eastern ...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5721934 - 03/09/13 10:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't work, but absolutely hate DST! Can't begin observing until around 11pm during the Summer, & daybreak starts around 3:30. Now, they've started it way early, & ending it later. Arrrrrgh!

Mabey we should all protest by not following it?

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: DarkSkys]
      #5722130 - 03/09/13 11:39 AM

FWIW, I'm confirming that I'm going to Umtanum Creek tonight. SweetAnne & Maggie will drive over in a second car and hike up the creek trail with me, then they'll go home & I'll set up for the night.

Nice to hear from you Joe! I'm curious about Pannstars but I won't be able to see it tonight -- horizon too poor. A friend on the east coast has a good western horizon and he plans to get out his binocs in a couple of evenings.

Kyle, it's a shame you have to see your skies disappear by degrees. It's happening to all of us to some extent but I try not to notice.

Sean Puett
Carpal Tunnel

#5722313 - 03/09/13 01:15 PM

The light pollution makes it less likely that I set up if I am at home. Tonight will be different if I stay home because it has been so long since I even uses my dob that I just have to take advantage of the skies.
I wish I could get there Mike but, I need a nap before I can drive any distance today and I just don't think I could make it in time. I would just ruin your night vision and then have to set up in the dark.

It will be good to get out with my scopes tonight and make sure everything is up to speed for a trip somewhere better in the future. I may need to clean my mirror soon. I haven't even looked at it in a couple months.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Sean Puett]
      #5722628 - 03/09/13 04:45 PM

Went over to Brown's Point light house to see if we could spot the comet. Horizon was clear of clouds, but too hazy to pick out the comet. Saw a beautiful sunset, though.

Ajay

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #5722727 - 03/09/13 05:53 PM

Well, Rattlesnake was a total wash last night. I was there by myself at 8 pm, and there was a big hole in the clouds near Jupiter. I set up and waited for improvement, but after an hour it only got worse. While waiting, 5 guys showed up with scopes, but didn't set up due to the weather. We all stood around and had a nice talk. I gave up after about an hour and went home.

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: SteveG]
      #5722868 - 03/09/13 07:33 PM

The OAS had a local star party planned for tonite but I just cancelled it as the clouds are rolling in from the south! I am ready for some time under the sky! Camp Delany is just a month away and looking forward to getting away for a while!

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5722916 - 03/09/13 08:04 PM

Quote:

The OAS had a local star party planned for tonite but I just cancelled it as the clouds are rolling in from the south! I am ready for some time under the sky! Camp Delany is just a month away and looking forward to getting away for a while!

Hey Cliff, what is the protocol for just arriving and paying at the site for the Camp Delany? At the current time I just can't seem to plan anything in advance. I just put in 11 hours today (with a couple hundred miles of driving included) and I only found out about that early in the week.

Pages: << 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 69390

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics