Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | (show all)
Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: zerro1]
      #5945900 - 06/29/13 01:43 AM

I hope the weather holds for you, Brad. 7000' is a nice place to be when it's hot everywhere else. Who needs a scope? What you will really want is binocs for day & night, and a camera.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BradleyB
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Spaced]
      #5947211 - 06/29/13 09:37 PM

I will take the binocs and camera, but am a little concerned that the weather is shaping up as really well set for thunderstorms. I'm not sure this is a place I want to be with lightning around. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Also my friend seems to be hiding somewhere.

Brad

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: BradleyB]
      #5947221 - 06/29/13 09:43 PM

The thunder storms seem to be forecasted to end by tuesday... Just stay off the ridgetops and away from tall tree's

zerro1
Postmaster

#5947567 - 06/30/13 05:20 AM

Oh Boy! talk about a horrible night... for equipment! My My I can hardly keep a civil tongue (if you know what I mean) The computer that controls my Quantix Camera had "issues". I don't know why but the LCD Backlight was out, I rebooted, but couldn't get any action. I did a hard shutdown, pulled the plugs but couldn't get it to come up. I finally threw in the towel. brought out the QHY8(old reliable) couldn't get any action out of it.

Brought out the QHY9 got good focus, calibrated the guide camera started inmaging, and when I checked on it the guiding was... well it looked better without guiding.
During all of that I got my Quantix and the computer with the backlight issue working. It's sitting here taking dark frames. I tried a few changes on the Atlas but finally shut it down and gave up. I'm contacting Ed Thomas tomorrow.

square_peg
Postmaster

Reged: 03/26/04

Loc: Maple Valley, WA
      #5963430 - 07/10/13 02:03 AM

Our dear friend Jon Collman (aka Jacat here on CN) has passed away after an extended bout with cancer. He will be sorely missed. The finest of fellows he was.

Clear skies, Jon.

BradleyB
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: square_peg]
      #5969731 - 07/13/13 10:36 PM

I never met Jon but do remember him posting. It seems he has not posted here since 2008. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

Brad

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: BradleyB]
      #5970396 - 07/14/13 01:34 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Went for a little road trip to Slate Peak last night...

zerro1
Postmaster

#5970397 - 07/14/13 01:36 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

And then there was this as well...

zerro1
Postmaster

#5970402 - 07/14/13 01:39 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

but what was really cool! this morning on the way down...

astronomania
sage

Reged: 02/26/10

Loc: Marysville, Wa.
      #5970546 - 07/14/13 03:04 PM

Those are awesome Robert!!
Just where is Slate peak?

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: astronomania]
      #5970627 - 07/14/13 04:08 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Quote:

Those are awesome Robert!!
Just where is Slate peak?

Thanks Ron ! Slate Peak is about a mile past Harts Pass and maybe 1200+ feet above it. The road is the cutoff from SR20 to Mazama. drive past the Mazama Store on the Lost River Road...follow the signs. (not for the faint of heart or those with an aversion to heights)

Slate Peak sits on a ridge between the Pasayten Wilderness and the North Cascades National Park. The Pacific Crest Trail traverses the west side of Slate a few hundred feet below the summit.

This is looking west: Ross Lake is just beyond the two prominent peaks in this photo. That little tiny snow cone between them...Is the east face of Mt Baker 56 miles distant.

astronomania
sage

Reged: 02/26/10

Loc: Marysville, Wa.
      #5970975 - 07/14/13 06:40 PM

Great location Robert, looks like i'm going to have to plan a trip up there!!

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: astronomania]
      #5972789 - 07/15/13 05:44 PM

I went family camping last week on the Cle Elum River, at the north end of Cle Elum lake. The night sky was stunning - pristine clear! I took my 5" f5 portable reflector, 2 eyepieces and a barlow, and was treated with amazing views. The transparency was so good I felt I was seeing brighter images of all objects than the views I had in Goldendale with my 10" reflector!

With a very slight breeze there were no bugs, and it was tee-shirt weather until about midnight, then a light jacket. The Bushnell Ares 5 performed flawlessly mounted on a Vixen Porta II. I'll definitely go back there next year.

I also had a 13 year-old girl there that was fascinated with the night sky, and patiently waited to look at everything that I looked at. She was part of a group of kids we had with us, and the rest of them could care less about the scope. It was refreshing to see her so interested in astronomy.

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: Coupeville, WA
Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: SteveG]
      #5973224 - 07/15/13 10:08 PM

Just curious. There has been ads on the local Craigslist for a while now for 6, 10 and 17mm ethoi (ethoses?). The prices are a bit steep. Just wondering if anyone has made offers to this person & got turned down?

Sounds like a great time Steve. Maybe you got a young girl hooked on a career path - or at least a long-term hobby.

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Dragonwatcher]
      #5973320 - 07/15/13 11:18 PM

Quote:

Just curious. There has been ads on the local Craigslist for a while now for 6, 10 and 17mm ethoi (ethoses?). The prices are a bit steep. Just wondering if anyone has made offers to this person & got turned down?

His prices are VERY steep. And for some reason so is all the other astro gear on CL lately. I think I may try a new area because it seems like all the same stuff over and over again. But to answer your question, I have not made an offer, but for as long as those have been up there (three or four months), I am sure he has received the usual low-balls as well as a few others. Since he's a couple hundred over market already, I figure why waste your time?

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: square_peg]
      #5973323 - 07/15/13 11:21 PM

Quote:

Our dear friend Jon Collman (aka Jacat here on CN) has passed away after an extended bout with cancer. He will be sorely missed. The finest of fellows he was.

Clear skies, Jon.

Sorry to hear that Tom.

Spaced
Post Laureate

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 new [Re: Stacy]
      #5973401 - 07/16/13 12:28 AM

Quote:

Clear skies, Jon.

Oh, that's sad indeed. I didn't know he was sick. Jon was -- and by some reckoning, still is -- a Marine, who proudly fought and bled for our country. More than capable of earning his living with his head, he chose to a post-retirement career as a top concrete man, and ruined his back in the process. They'll miss him for Wednesday lunch at Maggie's. He was a gentle and generous soul.

Spaced
Post Laureate

#5973426 - 07/16/13 12:43 AM

I've just returned from a whirlwind visit to North Dakota. I drove out with my mother. She'll return later by plane. We enjoyed some prime family time, including seeing a cousin for the second time in about 40 years (literally.) He teaches Ingles in China. I also got to spend some time catching up with my cousin Jake, with whom I've shared a couple of memorable adventures (including an encounter with mountain goats at midnight.)

I survived two (cue the Hollywood dramatic music) near death experiences while driving, one each way. I had the privilege & pleasure of driving mom's Mercedes, which is just an unbelievably comfortable, great handling, responsive car on the highway. I got an early start yesterday and took a couple of side trips in Montana, including a circumnavigation of the Crazy Mountains. Crazy, man. There sure isn't much traffic on Montana state highways outside towns.

A couple of nights ago we were surrounded by thunderstorms and I took a bunch of pictures of some pretty cool sky. I'll see how they turn out & probably post a couple.

I'm glad you made it back up to Slate, Robt! I like your excellent Aurora picture but personally, I'll take the goats.

Steve, did you by chance drive up to the end of the road, past Tucquala Lk.? If so, what can you tell me about high snow? (Going backpacking up there in a few weeks.)

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

#5974824 - 07/16/13 07:04 PM

No Mike, we were just barely north of the lake. My boys and their friends drove, then hiked to the top of the mountain just west of our location, where they could see snow-capped peaks. The weather was really nice, warm and breezy, with cool, calm nights. They implemented a fire ban on Thursday when we came home.

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Pacific NW Mt St Helens EternaThread Pt 6 [Re: SteveG]
      #5975005 - 07/16/13 08:56 PM

Thanks Mike! I actually agree with you! Getting to see them that close up with babies, was cool! Although as I was standing there taking pictures of this scene, a little voice said (OK? so who's on lookout duty?) So I got back in the truck and continued on down.

Pages: << 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 70758

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics