Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: DGM (Omega) NPB filter question new [Re: crsrs]
      #5541443 - 11/27/12 01:38 AM

Quote:

Dan,
Thanks for including your website link for ordering the DGM filters. I just placed an order for the 2" GCE filter, and I'm looking forward to receiving a nice product.

I live in a place that is moderately light polluted about 40 miles SE of Phoenix, AZ and there a few HP sodium street lights near my home. I have a shield on the one closest to me, but there are a few more down the road. I am hoping this filter will help take a bit of that light pollution out of my way while viewing some galaxies. I can see Andromeda naked eye from my house on a good night of seeing, so that tells you the light pollution in my area isn't too bad and might be an optimum level for that filter. :-)
Carol Sabo

The NPB filter will be of some use under those conditions on emission nebulae. As for comments on the GCE filter, it works to some degree on some galaxies, but is best under dark to only very slightly light polluted conditions. Once you get to where skyglow is a somewhat more notable problem, then you may be a little better off with a regular broad-band LPR filter than you are with the GCE. The GCE does not have quite the rejection of very broad sources like HP Sodium light that a more aggressive LPR filter might. The following review of the GCE might help a bit here:

CN REPORTS: DGM Optics GCE Filter

Another good broad-band filter is the Orion Skyglow:

CN REPORTS: Orion SKYGLOW Broad-band Filter

Both are far from miracle workers, so don't expect too much when using them. They do help, but in a number of cases, the improvement in the view is slight. Good luck and clear skies to you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2128

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics