Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
WarrenS
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/04/08

Loc: Orange County New York
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: saemark30]
      #5230327 - 05/19/12 10:57 PM

Is the 160 with FPL53 intended more for astrophotography?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Alvan Clark
sage

Reged: 03/13/10

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: WarrenS]
      #5230979 - 05/20/12 01:47 PM

I have a 120mm with fpl-53 and have tried astrophotography. It's fine if there are no bright white stars in the field. So, winter's open clusters show purple halos. A springtime galaxy with no bright stars looks fine.

A 160mm would be worse so it would not be ideal for astrophotography but certainly could be used.

You'll have to wait for Markus to explain his glass choice.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Reged: 05/01/03

Loc: Germany
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: Alvan Clark]
      #5231129 - 05/20/12 03:36 PM

The 160 we have designed use FPL 53, as a doublet it cannot be colorfree, but still good.
I have postphone the start of this model till late summer, need the money for the priority project 152 at moment

By July I am promissed to have first 3 testing samples, if I confirm all is fine, that it goes quick

I also got the prices now for lens in cell, but have to calculate a retai price , will take some days, by end of this week, we should have a number here

WarrenS
Carpal Tunnel

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: APM M.Ludes]
      #5231311 - 05/20/12 05:52 PM

Thanks for your feedback Markus, but I guess I'm just wondering why you re making both a 152mm AND a 160mm. I do mainly AP with the Meade/AT triplet but would like a larger refractor but can't afford a 6" triplet. Blue halos can be processed out for the most part, but I guess I was under a (mis)impression the fpl 53 would be better for photography. What is the mating element for the 160mm?

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5235958 - 05/23/12 03:46 PM

so my friends , some news

1, I followed all arguments on the focal length of the 140 and decited we design a 140 mm F/7.5 , main reason for that, it can be used on EQ-5 like mounts and keep the customers new investment lower

2, the production of 3 samples 152 mm F78 doublets starting now, promissed delivery date for this testing samples is July about. If I confirm all is fine serial production start with short delivery times

3, I have now the prices firm for the optical tubes and for the optics. However my original choosed US partners are to busy now with own products, that they cannot join now.

So I will have some talks with new reputatable partners for marketing and selling them around the world. Yes I could sell them straight, but then many potential buyers will not buy , because they will be worried about guarantee handling and service , if we are in germany and they are in USA.
This Apo's will come soon, my word, but I cannot tell you right now wherelse you can buy them , accept from me in Germany, until I found a new partner, respected by you all, for the american market.
For many of the big US vendors, it will be just one of thousand products they carry, so those could be retailers , but not a partner to whom we ship many at once.

What I need is someone who will handle it as a high priority product and taking care on customer services.

If you have some serious idea, send such to me via privat email please, my email is anfrage@apm-telescopes.de

thanks upfront

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
      #5236395 - 05/23/12 08:38 PM

Was getting a little "iffy" for me at F/8 or longer, but at7.5,you can put me back at the top of the list for a 140mm.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: watcher]
      #5237562 - 05/24/12 03:30 PM

Thanks for the update Markus. Myself, and many others here I'm sure won't mind waiting until you find a good dealer for these scopes.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: SteveG]
      #5237678 - 05/24/12 04:47 PM

eanwhile we continue with the test samples, to loose no time

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5244227 - 05/28/12 04:30 PM

just for your informations, tomorrow thuesday I go to a 3 day business trip, will be back thursday night, so do not wonder if you get no answeres from me next 3 days

have fun

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
      #5260720 - 06/07/12 07:45 PM

I know Markus would have posted if there were any news. I just get a little nervous watching everyone's dreams getting close to slipping off the page, sooooo....... BUMP.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: watcher]
      #5261588 - 06/08/12 09:44 AM

the 152 is in progress

I 2 weeks I visit the factory in china to do some inspections and discussion for factory testing...its running ...but during the progress there are no news to post something every day or every week :-)

mdelling
journeyman

Reged: 04/20/12

#5263510 - 06/09/12 02:54 PM

Does that mean still no price yet for the 150 mm f/8 lens cell that will be a drop in replacement for existing synta 150s?

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: mdelling]
      #5264934 - 06/10/12 03:44 PM

I have a price for the lens in cell, its retail will be around half the telescope cost

GShaffer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/09

Loc: Bogart, Ga USA
      #5274603 - 06/16/12 04:58 PM

And just how do we discern a price from this statement?

Quote:

I have a price for the lens in cell, its retail will be around half the telescope cost

WarrenS
Carpal Tunnel

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: GShaffer]
      #5275387 - 06/17/12 10:02 AM

Quote:

And just how do we discern a price from this statement?

Quote:

Somewhere earlier in this thread, I recall Markus was mentioning $3500 to $3900 for a complete OTA

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/21/12

#5279257 - 06/19/12 05:18 PM

Would these 6" f/8 be like the old Meade ED 6" f/9 scopes?
They were OK if collimated, but showed color on Jupiter visually. But so did AP scopes before ED glass.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: saemark30]
      #5282348 - 06/21/12 02:09 PM

Quote:

Would these 6" f/8 be like the old Meade ED 6" f/9 scopes?
They were OK if collimated, but showed color on Jupiter visually. But so did AP scopes before ED glass.

Others here have suggested that that might be a fair comparison. We won't know until the units are out. The good news is that there won't be any issues with lens cells & collimation, as AMP knows what they are doing here.

WarrenS
Carpal Tunnel

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: SteveG]
      #5282782 - 06/21/12 07:10 PM

When I spoke briefly with Markus at NEAF, he indicated his scopes would be similiar to the Meade refractors in color correction. I'm hoping they're better.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5283992 - 06/22/12 02:41 PM

Hi All,

I believe you all have been waiting for this following latest news now for some time :-)

After a 1 week trip through China and 17,000 Miles at the airplane, I came this morning home after an 11 hour flight.
We started with a acceptance test of a APM made and delivered 1 m primary focuse wide field telescope at the National Observatory of the University of Urumqi in west china, then I visited my 152 mm Apo maker to speak about all details and check out the production and testing equipment.

1, I inspected the testing equipment, a green light twymann interferometer was meanwhile set up and testruns have been performed. This interferometer will be used to test each single 152 mm apo , but we will NOT supply a testreport, otherwise customers say I want 1 % more strehl please , so we guarantee like a old famous japanese apo make : better then diffraction limited , but the strehl will be in serial production above 90% , we try to get a stable 95% strehl on each sample

2, a high quality collimator is set up , this is used for critical perfect alignment of each apo lens in cell. The Person handling this collimator prooved to me his scill, so I trust him, I tested several apos he aligned perfectly .

3, we discussed the multicoating, we will do transmission tests, we will use a braodband multicoating with a transmission above 98% from 400 nm to 700 nm for the complete objective.

4, we checked the new designed 2.5" rack and pinion focuser , it has 360° rotation , but we add a middle adapter for those customer who wish to exchange later to a Starlight Feather Touch focuser, so we add a middle adapter with starlight thread.
The focuser need a little more rework to slight a bit smoother. Its very solid designed and showed with very strong german hand pressure not any sign of bending, so its well made for any heavy possible visual or photographic accessorie.The focuser has at its end a standart M68 thread and a adapter M68/2".
We changed the compression ring design to a nice teflon collar system to not run in problems with Stardiagonals with diffrent security nut positions.
We checked the brandnew designed tension stopper and its works phenomenal good, worth to be patented :-)

5, we matched with Zemax our APM/Riccardi 0.75 x Apo Reducer/Flättener

6, we fixed the backfocuse from end of focuser to 180 mm for visual and 210 mm for photographic use with a maximum possible illuminated image circle . The tube knife edge baffles are finaly designed as well.

7, we checked with FEM software if we can reduce the tube wall from 2 mm thickness to 1.5 mm thickness and it works with no bending, now we try to get the tubes made with 1.5 mm wall thickness to get a further reduction of total weight

8, we changed the design of screw on transporting handle to a more easy to use less heavy handle with hand knobs

9, the dewshield is retractable and has a new idea of bajonet locking

10, we keep the transporting case very compact and for packing we choosed a strong double carton packing with foams between case and inner carton and foam between inner and outer carton to make damages during bad transportations almost impossible.

11, we delivery the CNC tube rings with a 3" Losmandy like dovetail as a standart to make it strong on your mount.Optional a Vixen like dovetail can be used.

12, we did a last change in the lens cell, instead of using ABS collimation screws as all chinese apo makers using , which do not expand and shrink during temeperature in same ways as the alu cell, we mashine now temperature stabilised special teflon screws for collimation which we will slighly seal, so the expand and shrink in same way as the cell and the lenses cannot become loosen and rattling , so we minimize the risk of missalignment. The cell design is made in a way that in worsest scenario if can be easy realigned by vendors and customers with our instruction manual, but this should not happen at all.

12, in 4 to 5 weeks the first 3 testing sample telescopes are done and shipped to me. If all is ok we start production with first run with a delivery time of 3 to 4 month.
This means delivery to customers will start in around late october to late november if the test samples show no problem or no seriöus problems on the optics.

Prices :
- we will retail the lens in cell with push pull flange , adapter for the major excisting 6"F/8 achro tubes and coolimation tool for US $ 1,990 in USA and in europe where we pay more customs and high VAT for Euro 1,990

- the optical tube with all above features will be below $ 4,000 retail and in europe below Euro 4,000 Euro.

our promissed partner for USA will not jump in, he has to many own business and cannot add this program. If we find before delivery of the serial production a trustfull partner the retail can be around $ 3,500.....if not, then we have to ship small quantitys from germany to US dealers and US customers from Germany, then due a second international shipping and dutie we will be closer to US $ 3,950 retail include shipping and dutie to USA.

I have had a nice work shop this past days with the manufacturer, above you know now all important details.

So as you now hopefully see, we have not been sleeping but working strong in the underground till we could present now today most details :-)

One last thing I like to mention , the colorcorrection will be about same as in todays known doublet ED Apos of similar focallength, due our mating element of lanthanium.

Now lets cross fingers, that we get the good glas material, thats the only unknown factor of today on which we have no influence

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5284062 - 06/22/12 03:37 PM

Looks like the project is going on rails here!

Can't wait to see the final products. I'm glad I already have a good scope, or else the waiting time would be painful! I better start saving up already.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37578

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics