Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)
Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5284485 - 06/22/12 09:46 PM

A great update! I'm looking forward to the lens upgrade kit!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: APM M.Ludes]
      #5284659 - 06/23/12 12:12 AM

Very impressive! And I'm not even talking about the scope. The way you have taken this from idea to design to pre-production in such a short time is really amazing.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Reged: 05/01/03

Loc: Germany
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: watcher]
      #5285339 - 06/23/12 01:42 PM

and on top of all, we start nw to design a motorfocuse for handcontroller and PC and I-Phone controle :-)

if this scope find a success we are ready to do start with same speed a 140 mm and a 165 mm doublet

Alvan Clark
sage

Reged: 03/13/10

#5288142 - 06/25/12 10:02 AM

There seems to be a big price difference between the cell and telescope. If retrofitting the cell is an easy task it would seems to be a lot cheaper to just buy the cell. Then get a used 6" for $500 or so. Total cost would only be $2500 vs $3500-3900 for the finished scope.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: Alvan Clark]
      #5288450 - 06/25/12 01:41 PM

Quote:

There seems to be a big price difference between the cell and telescope. If retrofitting the cell is an easy task it would seems to be a lot cheaper to just buy the cell. Then get a used 6" for $500 or so. Total cost would only be $2500 vs $3500-3900 for the finished scope.

And? The APM tube is likely 1000% nicer than the Synta/Sky-Watcher/Celestron 6" f/8 OTAs. A used 6" f/8 for $500 and then the APM ED lens for another $2k may sound like a great deal, compared to the ~$3500 price tag for the APM ED OTA, but when you consider that you'll also need to upgrade the focuser on the Synta, and to a really nice one at that, to match the quality of the lens, then the difference is not so large anymore.

The real deal is for us who already own an upgraded Synta with nice focuser, finder, rings, mount, etc. We can get the lens in cell for ~$2k, put it on our already excellent scopes and suddenly have a near-apo for 1/3rd the price. If you have to go out and find a used scope first, a lot of the bargain appeal disappears.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5289101 - 06/25/12 08:28 PM

Of course, if you can find one with a big ol' clamshell on the lens for just north of free, it could be a really sweet deal!

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: watcher]
      #5289480 - 06/26/12 02:03 AM

a major part of the big price diffrence is not the tube right rings and case, but also much much more expensive international shipping cost, taxes , etc.

Think about the packing of a little 6" lens and of a 6"F/8 scope in alu cae, double boxed

thats why we make the lens attractive to you

saemark30
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/21/12

#5305519 - 07/06/12 02:34 PM

Is there going to be a OK4 doublet coming soon?
I believe there is talk of it being 6" f/8.

Edited by saemark30 (07/06/12 02:37 PM)

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: saemark30]
      #5305530 - 07/06/12 02:40 PM

The Massimo Riccardi Designed OK-4 Doublet , made by LZOS is in our stock in germany for daily shipping

lens in cell http://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/Optical-Accessories/Optical-Sets/Lenses-in-Cell/APM-LZOS-Apo-Refraktoren-152-F/1200-Apochromat-Lens-in-Cell-2-lenses.html

and complete optical tubes with 2.5" focuser http://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/Telescopes-/Refracting-Telescopes-OTA/Apochromates/APM-LZOS-Telescope-Refractor-152-mm-f/1200-mm-2.5-ZTA.html

or with 3" focuser http://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/Telescopes-/Refracting-Telescopes-OTA/Apochromates/APM-LZOS-Telescope-Refractor-152-mm-f/1200-mm-2.5-ZTA1.html

so if you want one, send your order

Jan Owen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Sun City West, Arizona
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: saemark30]
      #5306756 - 07/07/12 01:17 PM

For those looking for a high quality $10,000 APO refractor, I have no doubts that the one Markus offers in this class is in the upper tier of superb scopes available, and well worth the cost.

But that's also not the scope, nor objective, that this thread is about...

skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

#5307841 - 07/08/12 07:41 AM

Quote:

The Massimo Riccardi Designed OK-4 Doublet , made by LZOS is in our stock in germany for daily shipping

lens in cell http://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/Optical-Accessories/Optical-Sets/Lenses-in-Cell/APM-LZOS-Apo-Refraktoren-152-F/1200-Apochromat-Lens-in-Cell-2-lenses.html

and complete optical tubes with 2.5" focuser http://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/Telescopes-/Refracting-Telescopes-OTA/Apochromates/APM-LZOS-Telescope-Refractor-152-mm-f/1200-mm-2.5-ZTA.html

or with 3" focuser http://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/Telescopes-/Refracting-Telescopes-OTA/Apochromates/APM-LZOS-Telescope-Refractor-152-mm-f/1200-mm-2.5-ZTA1.html

so if you want one, send your order

Hi,
The link for the 3-inch focuser model takes me to the same page for the 2.5-inch focuser model..,

Regards,

skybsd

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: skybsd]
      #5307904 - 07/08/12 09:03 AM

ups sorry, here the correct one http://www.apm-telescopes.net/en/product.html?info=3290

picture on the side with 3 inch focuser follow this week

Jan Owen
Pooh-Bah

#5308447 - 07/08/12 03:19 PM

Nice!

Spyke
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Scotland
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: Jan Owen]
      #5308580 - 07/08/12 04:40 PM

Ok, I came really late to this party, but I'm really interested in a 152mm ED upgrade for my Helios 6" f8 OTA with Moonlite focuser. Would the lens in cell require new baffle placement? Would it fit my Helios 150 tube? It's virtually identical to the Celestron and Skywatcher C6 models I think.

Ant

Jan Owen
Pooh-Bah

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: Spyke]
      #5308767 - 07/08/12 06:34 PM

Markus & his associates have proven pretty resourceful in dealing with this general kind of thing in the past, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt right now... He has excellent machining services, and telescope assembly resources at his command.

So, just try & be patient, & let this process take it's natural course... The proof (or not, but again, because of his record in the past, I'm certainly more than willing to give Markus the chance to show us what he can DO, and so far, he's been doing just fine...) is only a few more months ahead...

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: Spyke]
      #5311043 - 07/10/12 08:48 AM

Hi Ant

if you replace your achromat with this new ED Apo , no baffle replacement needet. What you need is a new tube adapter to connec tour lens cell to your tube, that what we will be offering to anybody

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
      #5320979 - 07/16/12 07:59 PM

Found this on the APM website.

Also this for the OTA.

Edited by plyscope (07/16/12 10:21 PM)

WarrenS
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/04/08

Loc: Orange County New York
Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: plyscope]
      #5322022 - 07/17/12 02:01 PM

Those items seem to be exactly what Markus is talking about in this thread. Not sure about Australia, but he indicated he's looking for a distributor here in the US before offering the scope/lens assembly here.

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: New 6" F/8 ED Doublets from APM Telescopes new [Re: WarrenS]
      #5322187 - 07/17/12 03:53 PM

Hi Warren

we started already to accept pre-orders with european dealers. As soon I have tested the first 3 samples , I will contact US dealers.
I will have one for demo and sale at the First Annual Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo November 10 & 11, 2012! in Tucson.
This will be Nr.1 sold in USA.

As soon as my test of first samples is done, we will move fast and delivery up to 250 pc before christmas, if we get so many orders :-)

Live_Steam_Mad
sage

Reged: 07/24/07

Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England
      #5328287 - 07/21/12 01:21 PM

Hi Markus, do you guarantee that this 6" F8 OTA from you will have a certain maximum level of spherical correction? If so, what will it be? As I am wanting to upgrade to a very good planetary 'scope.

I have a Meade StarNavigator 102 (don't laugh!) and it splits the Double-Double (Epsilon Lyrae) easily, for example (2.3") but the 1st diffraction rings on those stars (E2) were quite easily visible at 200x, and I see that in the excellent Aberrator 3.0 Beta (did that guy ever update it?) that I seem to have about 1/4 wave optics (maybe 1/4 wave SA, maybe a little HSA, and a "small" amount of astigmatism maybe 1/5 wave, some of which seems to be coming from the diagonal).

I also see from Aberrator, and that if I had e.g. a 6" refractor with say 1/6 wave or better optics, I could see a LOT more detail on Jupiter with "decent" seeing conditions, compared with my 4" F8 Meade Achromatic refractor.

Is it possible that you could offer this 6" OTA with say 1/6 wave SA maximum guaranteed (and only say 1/8 wave of astigmatism at most), so that I could get excellent planetary performance, in which case how much would such an OTA cost from you?

As I get annoyed at manufacturers who cannot do excellent optics LOL (I wasn't referring to you!) as it makes all the difference with details on Jupiter (mushy view versus awesome view), and in my mind reputation should be more important than profits... Meade are you listening?!...

I am no longer willing to accept merely 1/4 wave ("Diffraction limited") optics as I need about 1/6 wave minimum. And I saw in a review once that a TeleVue 'scope had only 1/4 wave optics, which annoyed me, whereas I have never read of a TMB, Astro-Physics or Takahashi OTA which had worse than about 1/6 wave optics? Pity about the "enormous" price tags.

I also see that e.g. a 6" OTA with 1/6 wave optics or better just about completely removes that annoying 1st diffraction ring that I am seeing. At least Aberrator seems to think so?!

Also, is there an Alt-Az mount that I could mount this OTA on which has GOTO and tracking motors which have no vibrations at high powers (350x or so)? Since my mount's drive motors vibrate the objects at 200x !! Yeah I know, I bought an entry level 'scope LOL.

I am glad that you are going for a lightweight instrument, and that you are using a doublet for faster cool down times compared with a triplet.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37044

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics