Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
dgerow

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: Las Vegas, Nv.
1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? new
      #5162707 - 04/08/12 08:33 PM

It seems it is now time to upgrade the Star Diagonal that was supplied with my 8SE. I have begun to upgrade my my EP's so guess I need to decide what size EP's to purchase,1 1/4 or 2". I received my first "better" EP a couple days ago. Couldn't justify spending $360 for Televue so went with a 10mm 68 degree Baader planetarium. WOW, what a difference. I can't believe how nice the wider FOV is. The Baader will fit in either a 1 1/4" or 2" diagonal. So just looking for opinions and guidance from the Experts on what is the best direction to go with the diagonal. I will be staying with the middle price EP's, looking to purchase a 24mm 68 degree Explore Scientific next. Thanks

David.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: 1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? new [Re: dgerow]
      #5163100 - 04/09/12 05:30 AM

I had bought a Celestron 2"-1.25" Diagonal which I use at times. Mine needs to be threaded to the rear cell as I use the 2"-1.25" only with Celestron's Focal reducer.

I also bought Astrotech's 1.25" dielectric diagonal which works pretty well with all my eyepieces, including the 8mm Baader Hyperion. In the stock diagonal, this eyepiece could not be seated properly and was loose.

Btw, since you are looking at ES, may as well try out their 82 deg. which are very good.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: 1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5163157 - 04/09/12 07:15 AM

Hi David:

Nearly all 2" diagonals come with a 1.25" to 2" adapter so you can use either size eyepieces in them. When shopping for a diagonal, get one with a dielectric coating. They will have high reflectivity, but more importantly the coating resists scratching so you can clean it with less worry. Also, for the 8SE its best to get an SCT threaded diagonal so it screws directly to the rear cell of the OTA. That way it will be short enough so that it won't hit the base when pointing towards zenith.

-Dan

dgerow

Re: 1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5163218 - 04/09/12 08:32 AM

Thanks Guys, So I should upgrade my diagonal? Which would be more advantageous a 1 1/4" or 2" diagonal? By the way I really can justify the Televue EPs, just can't afford them. Thanks again.

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
      #5163256 - 04/09/12 09:16 AM

I use like using a 2 inch diagonal,,,so I say go for one...

BUT do a little research on this forum about clearance issues with 2 inch diagonals and the base of the scope "some" 2 inch one are too long and may required Eddies or Rons rail solutions...

I own a 8i (earlier model of the 8SE) and with Rays brackets (not an option for your 8SE) have no trouble clearing the base (with room to spare) using my Denkemier S1 2 inch diagonal...

Bob G.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: 1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5163315 - 04/09/12 10:06 AM

If the cost is not a problem, I agree with Bob ... go for it. I just find it to be a much more stable connection to the scope which holds my heavier eyepieces more securely. After using the 2" diagonal for a while, the 1.25" kind of looks wimpy on the 8SE! I think the 1.25" diagonal is a more appropriate size for the smaller SCTs.

-Dan

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
      #5163796 - 04/09/12 03:36 PM

Much wiser and more experienced folks than I have already spoken, but here's 2 yen from someone who has thus far stuck to 1.25" format on my 8SE.

Like many new 8SE owners, I loved just about everything about my scope except the limited TFOV, which in stock form is only about 0.8 degrees.

So I added a 6.3 focal reducer, which gives me a TFOV of about 1.2 degrees. That's enough for most, but not all, tasty targets.

I considered going to a 2-inch digonal. But the 8SE cannot fully take advantage of a 2" diagonal due to the 8SE's 38mm internal tube. So even with a 2" diagonal, my maximum TFOV without vignetting problems would be about 1.5 degrees. And good 2" EPs cost big bucks. If you're gonna spend that much on EPs, you might as well get a good quartz dielectric diagonal. By this point, you're talking about a substantial chunk of cash. The kind of cash that will buy a whole telescope.

So I spent $179 total and got an Orion ST80. With my 24ES68, it gives a TFOV of about 4 degrees, and it rides beautifully on the 8SE mount. It gave views of the Venus/ Pleiades event, for example, that my trusty 8SE just can't provide. And the ST80s short focal length transforms my existing EPs into completely different beasts; it's like getting a whole new set of EPs.

If cost is no issue, by all means get a nice 2" diagonal and some good long-FL widefield EPs. I just wanted to point out that there is more than one way to skin the old TFOV cat. As an additional and significant bonus, my chosen method of feline flensing also gives me a good little grab-n-go GoTo scope for camping trips and quick winter peeks.

Rob Stemple
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/09/12

Loc: St. Johnsbury VT
Re: 1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? new [Re: Widespread]
      #5164048 - 04/09/12 07:13 PM

Hey Widespread. I just purchased a focal reducer online. (I'm waiting for it to come in.) As you are still using the stock diagonal as well, do you have any clearance issue with it?

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: 1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? new [Re: Rob Stemple]
      #5164134 - 04/09/12 08:23 PM

Hi Rob,

Yes, I'm using the stock diagonal. I've used a TV Everbrite 1.25" on it, and it was a bit brighter, or maybe just "whiter". Anyway, it was incrementally more pleasing. I stayed with the stock 1.25" because I thought I would soon go to 2" format, but have thus far gone 6.3FR and ST80

To your main question, NO, I could not quite get full zenith clearance with the 6.3FR/ stock diagonal combo on my 8SE. I could get to maybe 87 degrees altitude, but I wanted zenith. So I installed a Ron's Rail (with help and encouragement from Dan, Bob and Maverick), and now clearance is no problem. (You can Google Ron's rail (or search the forum); sorry, I've never posted a thread link.)

HOWSOEVER, with the Ron's Rail installed and the OTA pushed forward for clearance, the 8SE is front heavy. I could tighten my altitude nut, but thus far have simply omitted my dew shield. It works fine; I was THIS CLOSE to replacing my stock diagonal with a Denk PS1 before I went low-budget with the ST80 (hey, if I'm gonna go 2", I'm gonna go whole hog).

Enjoy your 8SE! Mine became more grab and go after Midnight Dan taught me to hug it with my cheek against the HC, and dance it out the door.

Best,
David

Rob Stemple
professor emeritus

Re: 1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? new [Re: Widespread]
      #5164180 - 04/09/12 08:53 PM

Thanks David. I'll have to keep that in mind for when I attach it.

For now, my viewing area is not what anyone would consider a good location. So, until I find a better spot, I'm fine with only being able to go 87˚.

Yeah..... Found that "Dance out the door" on my own!
The first time I took it out the door, and the HC slammed into my face! I learned to beat to the punch by putting my cheek on it. The next mod that I'm doing to mine, is to add a Velcro strap to the mount. that should fix that little issue.

Rob Stemple
professor emeritus

#5164186 - 04/09/12 08:56 PM

87&#730:.????????

I'm guessing the BBE code here doesn't take kindly to bitmap degree symbols?

That is suppose to be "I'm fine with only being able to go 87 degrees".

dgerow

#5164265 - 04/09/12 10:05 PM

Thanks to all. After much debate I decided to go with the 2" diagonal. I ordered the GSO quartz dielectric mirror. Found it at Scopestuff for $119. You guys are the best at helping me spend more(all) of my money. For some reason the wife doesn't want me to ask you guys any more questions. I don't get it.??

David

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5164322 - 04/09/12 11:22 PM

Your wife is obviously a person of superior intelligence. Didn't take her long to figure out that what we do best here is spend other people's money!

In case you're looking for the Ron's Rail thread, here it is: http://tinyurl.com/39gcpl8

-Dan

dgerow

#5164325 - 04/09/12 11:39 PM

Thanks Dan.

NorskeBob

Reged: 09/10/10

Loc: Oswego, NY
      #5164941 - 04/10/12 10:32 AM

Good choice I purchased the same - GSO 2" Diagonal for SCTs. The 2" diagonal will expand your choice in eyepieces.

UncleMossy

Reged: 02/08/12

Loc: Downtown Toronto
      #5166138 - 04/10/12 11:33 PM

Quote:

Also, for the 8SE its best to get an SCT threaded diagonal so it screws directly to the rear cell of the OTA. That way it will be short enough so that it won't hit the base when pointing towards zenith.

-Dan

With the diagonal screwed directly to the rear of the OTA are you still able to rotate it for more comfortable viewing angles or do you have to leave it in one position?

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: 1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? new [Re: UncleMossy]
      #5166349 - 04/11/12 05:55 AM

Hi Jim,

A very warm welcome to CN and to this Nexstar forum !

Yes, in exactly the way your 8SE's 1.25" visual back fits and loosens by means of its screw threaded, locking flange ring, most conventional SCT 2" diagonals do the same.

You merely dispense with the 1.25" visual back and screw the 2" diagonal directly to the back of your 'scope. Then, if it happens to be in an awkward position for viewing, just slacken the ring and re-orientate the diagonal to make the viewing more comfortable, re-tightening the ring once the appropriate angle has been reached. The 2" diagonal also has, as I'm sure you already know, normally a further adapter at the eyepiece holder end so that you can fit either 1.25" or 2" eyepieces.

Drawbacks ?

Well on the standard 8SE mount it adds more weight which may require a little OTA rebalancing, (probably by sliding it further forwards within the mount shoe) but then you will almost invariably have to do this anyway to ensure the larger 2" diagonal clears the base of the mount. And, if it so happens that there is still not sufficient clearance between base and diagonal which prevents access to the Zenith, then you may have to add an extra length of dovetail rail, (Ron's Rail).

Don't let this put you off though ! 2" diagonals are a joy to use !

Hoping this helps.

Best regards,
Tel

UncleMossy

Reged: 02/08/12

Loc: Downtown Toronto
Re: 1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? new [Re: Tel]
      #5167791 - 04/11/12 11:41 PM

Thanks Tel.
you're always quick with a good answer.

I'm enjoying being able to rotate the diagonal now that i've started using a chair. it looks like it would be worth my while to get a 2" diagonal but i'm not sure if the screwing/unscrewing is a viable long term solution for me. so i think i will trade zenith for useful device and get a baader click lock adapter.
http://agenaastro.com/baader-2-sct-click-lock-eyepiece-adapter-visual-back-2-sct-thread.html
along with either the GSO dielectric or the william optics carbon fiber dielectric.

i can always wait for the zenith sky to move into view.

jim

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: 1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? new [Re: UncleMossy]
      #5168011 - 04/12/12 07:33 AM

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the compliment !

In any event, if you're using you're 8SE on its normal Alt./Az. mount, I would have thought that no rotation of the diagonal is particularly, if at all, necessary, unless you're thinking that you'd, say, perhaps have to rotate the larger 2" diagonal body through ca.90 degrees to allow the OTA to reach of the Zenith and avoid contact with the base of the mount, assuming of course, the length of forward movement of the dovetail rail has been exhausted. (?)

Where otherwise do you envisage a need to rotate it ?

Best regards,
Tel

BTW: Alternatively, there's always the possibility of installing a "Ron's rail" !

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: 1 1/4" or 2" Star Diagonal upgrade for 8SE? new [Re: Tel]
      #5168024 - 04/12/12 07:56 AM

Jim
Aluminum threads tend to gall and stick. You can lessen the problem by rubbing a little beeswax into the threads. Candle wax will also work. Be sure to remove the excess particles with a small brush.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3661

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics