Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | >> (show all)
droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: Dob Frog]
      #5413386 - 09/10/12 01:39 PM

grey......did she say grey? or did I say grey? just call me grey beard, lol

oops forgot cant say grey, lol

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dob FrogAdministrator
Ninjamphibian

Reged: 01/27/06

Loc: Ohio
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: droid]
      #5413532 - 09/10/12 03:02 PM

Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
      #5420744 - 09/14/12 11:05 AM

Had the Ultima 2000 out at out dark sky site. Works great Andy! I think it will make a fine astrophotography scope.

Also, I bought myself a the Great Atlas of the Sky for my birthday. This thing is huge!!

Jason

Dob FrogAdministrator
Ninjamphibian

Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: Undermidnight]
      #5420832 - 09/14/12 12:17 PM

Happy birthday Jason!!!! Have a great day bud!

zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
      #5420861 - 09/14/12 12:37 PM

Happy Birthday Jason!

LDb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/01/08

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5420885 - 09/14/12 12:49 PM

Hey folks -- today is Gary Whiston's Birthday too!

Happy Birthday to Jason and Gary!

Howard

Undermidnight

Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: LDb]
      #5420896 - 09/14/12 12:52 PM

Thanks guys..

Oh yeah.. it is also John Dobson's birthday!

Jason

Dob FrogAdministrator
Ninjamphibian

Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: LDb]
      #5420959 - 09/14/12 01:27 PM

Quote:

Hey folks -- today is Gary Whiston's Birthday too!

Happy Birthday to Jason and Gary!

Howard

Woohoo! Let's have a party! I happen to like parties....especially if we can have chocolate cake and beer.

Happy birthday to Gary!!!

Undermidnight

#5421210 - 09/14/12 04:14 PM

Mmmmm.... beer

droid
rocketman

#5421273 - 09/14/12 04:58 PM

Jason; thats fantastic, Wilma was just not being used or treated properly at my house, sad to say my learning disabilities kept me from figuring out in a decade what you fixed in a week, grrrrr.

Happy birthday bud......saw the atlas over on FB , nice really nice.

Scott Horstman
Vendor - Backyard Observatories

Reged: 03/11/04

Loc: Here, There and Everywhere
      #5421365 - 09/14/12 06:16 PM

What Andy said...HBD fellas.

Rusty
Postmaster

Reged: 08/06/03

Loc: Brooker, FL
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: Scott Horstman]
      #5421612 - 09/14/12 09:17 PM

HBD!

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
      #5423140 - 09/16/12 12:08 AM

Quote:

Had the Ultima 2000 out at out dark sky site. Works great Andy! I think it will make a fine astrophotography scope.

Happy (belated) Birthday, Jason! Wow, it's great to know that Wilma's still in good working order. I bought her from OPT in June of 1999 and had my final session with her on May 20th 2005 - the next morning, i shipped her off to Andy.

In case you're wondering about the weird name - -
When we got our first Family computer in 1999, i already owned an ETX 90RA and my younger Son already knew his way around the Internet from using his friends' home computers. He showed me the Yahoo "clubs" (remember those? ) and i joined one for Wisconsin observers. All of the new tech stuff was a bit overwhelming at times, and made me feel quite primitive - so when i posted observing reports in the club i jokingly signed them "Wilma Flintstone".

Then when i got the Ultima, one of the members suggested naming it 'Wilma'. Not because i'd been using the name, though - he said some of the starlight that she gathered had been travelling towards earth since the stone age. It made sense, and the name stuck.

I hope Wilma stays operable for many years to come, and that you get some great images.
Have fun - i sure did.

droid
rocketman

Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: Carol L]
      #5423245 - 09/16/12 03:42 AM

I loved Wilma, but I was too simple minded to figure her out, she was in a storage unit more than she was used, due to loosing the house and being forced into a efficiency, and Jason loved his U2k, he figured out her troubles in less than a week, I had her for what 10 years plus, and in a friends words I was using her like a glorified dobsonian. Lol.
he found that it seemedto track backwards in altitude, and then that the Altitude gear ratio was set to a value higher than 1.000.

Now shes perfect, I hope you arent to upset I gave her to Jason, but shes in far more capable hands than mine, and shell actually get to show her stuff.
Oh and he also found she was out of collimation ,which I suspected, after she wacked me in the back of the head , when we ( me ,Sam ,and Wilma )were in that traffic accident.

droid
rocketman

#5424130 - 09/16/12 05:38 PM

http://undermidnight.com/2012/09/15/my-ultima-2000/

http://undermidnight.com/2012/09/16/m12/

Edited by droid (09/16/12 05:39 PM)

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
      #5425196 - 09/17/12 11:05 AM

If Wilma's happy, i'm happy.

Yep, she definitely has learning curve - especially for people like me who'd never used a computerized scope, and are (as my Son says) "technologically impaired". In the beginning, i made a simplified version of the start-up procedure on an index card and it really helped. Sure wish i'd have kept it - it would have made things a lot easier for you.

I didn't know Jason previously owned a U2K - no wonder he's so happy to have another one. TBH, i got her because she was supposed to be much quieter than a Meade. It wasn't till later that i found out about the unique 'hand-slew' capability. The Sky Commander DSC's i installed on the 16"LB remind me of Wilma's computer - i can hand-slew and it doesn't lose its place.
That's not the case with the CG5-GT mount i got a few months ago, though (my first 'goto' unit since having Wilma). It needs to slew to every object and drives me nutz, because sometimes i'd get there quicker by manually starhopping. The mount is ok though - i just don't enjoy listening to a coffee grinder at 2:00AM.

Undermidnight

#5425514 - 09/17/12 02:03 PM

Carol, Andy,

One of the main reasons why I liked the U2K so much is what you guys mentioned: it uses DSCs in addition to the motors. You can hand move it like a push to and Wilma stays aligned. For imaging, a goto is great, but for observing, I want to be able to move the scope myself. I find it more organic. A closer connection to the sky (I know, I am weird).

I took Wilma to our dark sky site on Wednesday and she provided one of the best views of M20 I have had in a long time. It was wonderful!! (She is a keeper that is for sure).

I have now installed some Bob's Knobs on the secondary mirror to make collimation easier. The Fastar assembly comes out just fine although the secondary assembly turns in the corrector plate which is a common problem in these scopes. The only thing left to work on is the focuser shaft. It is slightly out of alignment. But this won't prevent her from being used. She is a fine addition to the "arsenal"

My telescope making mentor (and good friend, Ron Ravneberg) named his scopes (like his scope Alice). So in that tradition, I name all my telescopes after female relatives that are no longer with us.

My first scope I built, "Marilyn", is named after my mother who passed away in 1999. The little 8" F/4.2 is a spunky little scope that holds its own amongst scopes twice her size. This characteristic describes my mom very well. She was a "vertically challenged" small lady that would not back down from a fight. She was a fireball that is for sure (she was also an Aries.. go figure.. heheheh)

Ada is named after my wife's great grandmother.

Electa (soon to be owned by Andy) is named after my 3rd great grandmother.

Anyways, looking forward to getting to work on your 8" Andy. And when I eventually get some astroimages going, I will of course post them.

Jason

droid
rocketman

#5426008 - 09/17/12 06:40 PM

"technologically impaired", hmmmmmm I guess that fits me, I cant even make my 100 button remote do anything other than switch channels, lol.
Im glad you are happy for Wilma, she deserved so much better than I could manage.

Jason; the nent shaft is probably from the accident as well, we hit hit so hard my whole fore arm, wrist and hand sweelled to twice theyre normal size, and despite the seat belt my head went far enough forward for my head to crack the wind shield. Wilma wound up on the floor between my seat and Sams.
Im glad you like her, I can imagine shes happy to be able ot show off the Universe the way she was meant too.

gwhiston

Reged: 08/19/08

Loc: ohio
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 [Re: droid]
      #5426888 - 09/18/12 08:31 AM

Thanks Guys, I just returned from BFSP. Had a good time. but, very tired from three decent nights of observing. Thanks so much for the birthday wishes. Hope to see everyone soon.

Undermidnight

Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 [Re: droid]
      #5427071 - 09/18/12 10:39 AM

Quote:

"technologically impaired", hmmmmmm I guess that fits me, I cant even make my 100 button remote do anything other than switch channels, lol.
Im glad you are happy for Wilma, she deserved so much better than I could manage.

Jason; the nent shaft is probably from the accident as well, we hit hit so hard my whole fore arm, wrist and hand sweelled to twice theyre normal size, and despite the seat belt my head went far enough forward for my head to crack the wind shield. Wilma wound up on the floor between my seat and Sams.
Im glad you like her, I can imagine shes happy to be able ot show off the Universe the way she was meant too.

Andy,

Well, if there weren't any "technologically impaired" folks around, I wouldn't have a job! (I work in computers). I would call myself "mechanically challenged". I never really worked on cars ever. I just recently learned how to change brakes on a car!! So if something happens to my car, I have to take it to the shop. I want to learn how to repair cars myself so I don't have to.

We all have our talents. If we had them all, it would be one dull world

In regards to the focuser shaft, it is not a big deal even if I cannot fix it. It just shows that Wilma (and you) are survivors. You guys may be beat up, but you still know how to show off the wonders of the universe!!

Thanks again bud...

Jason

Pages: << 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51702

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics