Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: << 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | >> (show all)
Dob FrogAdministrator
Ninjamphibian

Reged: 01/27/06

Loc: Ohio
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: Scott Horstman]
      #5509983 - 11/08/12 01:33 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Awwww....my mail lady brought me a care package from Rianstein and his lovely wife, Betsy. Oh my gosh, this is so sweet! Dove milk chocolate, raspberry dark chocolate M&M's (to die for!), and Twizzlers (strawberry, of course!). Rick and Betsy, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: Dob Frog]
      #5510003 - 11/08/12 01:46 PM

Gee, how did they know the way to your heart?

How very nice, from nice people to a nice lady!

rick rian
Seeker of Truth(s)

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Upper Mid West
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5510713 - 11/08/12 10:30 PM

We just made a wild guess on what might make you smile. Sounds like we came close.

Enjoy!

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Reged: 04/29/04

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: rick rian]
      #5511177 - 11/09/12 08:17 AM

Wow, what a score! That was really nice of them

Dob FrogAdministrator
Ninjamphibian

Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: ArizonaScott]
      #5511427 - 11/09/12 10:57 AM

It sure was AZ!

Rick, you and Betsy were right on the mark! I hid the candy in my bedroom, right next to the bed so no one will sneak in and get it.

rick rian
Seeker of Truth(s)

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Upper Mid West
      #5512340 - 11/09/12 09:24 PM

Aye, you're a shrewd one you are.

edosaurusrex
sage

Reged: 01/30/07

Loc: Ft Worth, TX
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: rick rian]
      #5513492 - 11/10/12 05:52 PM

I went out last night on a dry run (practice with no expectations) to start my "Photograph the Sky" project. I want to take 10deg x 15deg pictures centered at cleverly picked RA's and Dec's and limit the magnitude to 8.5 "Sky Atlas 2000.0". I'll file the pics a la RA and Dec but also stitch, using the available digital image processing softwares, the more conspicuous constellations. So there'll be a reason to get out and observe/photograph and stuff for rainy days as well.
First lesson learned: Get there BEFORE sundown
Second lesson learned: Don't forget the film!
Third lesson learned: Make sure the power port in the car doesn't require the ignition to be on to avoid the stupid "dinging key in the ignition warning"

All in all it went pretty well considering I did most of the alignment in the dark instead of between Civil and Nautical twilights.

I then went on with my other project of learning the Herschel 400 I by heart. The Cetus, Fornax, and Aquarius stuff is getting pretty easy now so I'm venturing to new constellations. I had a brain toot on NGC772.

Fourth lesson learned: Don't be so proud that you don't bring a star atlas.

It was clear until the Moon came up, the air was windy and wiggly and it didn't get below 66F. Location was N32.9258 W99.2332.

I had the place to myself so I was able to play some background music. Free's "Fire and Water" album and "Magician's Birthday" by Uriah Heep were just a few of the selections. I don't play music if there are others around but if I'm alone I noticed the "noise" keeps the coyotes away.

Edited by edosaurusrex (11/10/12 06:01 PM)

ArizonaScott
Postmaster

Reged: 04/29/04

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: edosaurusrex]
      #5513532 - 11/10/12 06:44 PM

Quote:

I had the place to myself so I was able to play some background music. Free's "Fire and Water" album and "Magician's Birthday" by Uriah Heep were just a few of the selections.

Excellent selection, sir!

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: ArizonaScott]
      #5514044 - 11/11/12 07:22 AM

Well Elekta got her first light , with me at the ep at least. there's a street light , stadium style outside my door , so only parts of the sky could be looked at.
The Andromeda galaxy was chosen as it was in the spot where the light couldn't get into the upper cage.
The atmosphere was lousy, wind blowing, but Elekta stood her ground and delivered.Later I looked at the Orion nebula, then back over to the double cluster, yeah Elekta destroyed the double cluster, lol.

This was one of those some good news ,some bad news nights.
I had originally planned to take her to a local remote control airplane club fields, and the weather forecast was good.But it clouded up badly, and I would have bet it was gonna rain so the scope stayed in the house.
Around 9 or so I was stepping out side to cool down from doing house work, and hey it was clear as a bell,grrrrrrrr, naturally.
Jupiter was rising, and would have been my main target, but you couldn't see it in the telescope for the light.
it was 78 degrees in the house, 50 degrees outside, so the mirror was warm, now when Jason sold elekta to me , he threw in a small brick battery, it was charged , he hooked it up and showed me how the three fans work,last night it was dead as a door nail.As noted above the atmosphere was so so, so a combination of bad atmosphere, and a hot mirror gave me bloated images. I'm so glad I'm older and wise enough to realize that, 30 years ago, the scope would have been junk, hehehehehehehehehehe.
I will need to find a small trickle charger for this battery ,apparently it discharges while setting.
I spent a few days playing with the truss tube locations, and finally set on what I believed was the best configuration, I was very happy to see , that after tearing down , carrying, and rebuild, the collimation was spot on.
It took me 12 minutes to set her up, and this was my first time, alone and in the dark, a good three or four minutes of that was fumbling with the shrouds Velcro attachment.
under eight to tear down.
The focuser will take some getting used to, its a helical focuser, with slide option, loosen the screw and the whole tube slides out, tighten it and use the helical function to fine tune.Several times I forgot to tighten the screw that holds the ep, and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't tweek in, and once forgot to tighten the slide lock, and as I pulled the ep, freaked out when the whole thing slid out at me.
The new 24mm ep, was good, but in the conditions last night ,I found the knight Owl 30mm a better match for the conditions.
This thing moves so easy I was moving the whole scope with out hardly any effort, I almost forgot there was this mammoth scope below me.
The scope optically performed flawlessly, the problems above were all mostly mine, minus the atmosphere.The Andromeda galaxy was to die for, and about two thirds of a field of view to the left was a very dim whisp, not sure if it was one of the three you should see , or if it was another galaxy I've never seen before, haven't checked.
Overall, very promising, Ill need to get better at my game,lol.

NOTE TO SELF: remove mirror box cover ,before you put on the shroud.
anyways there it is, three objects, that's poor I know, a series of mistakes by myself, a so so atmosphere.But enjoyable.

to do list:
find a step stool with wide treads
find a trickle charger for the battery
Motivate earlier so the poor scope can get away from the stadium light
Find a observing chair.

Edited by droid (11/11/12 07:23 AM)

Dob FrogAdministrator
Ninjamphibian

Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: droid]
      #5514136 - 11/11/12 09:23 AM

Ed and Andy, Great reports! Sounds like a typical observing session with little mistakes along the way. Important thing is that you guys got out to look.

droid
rocketman

#5514196 - 11/11/12 10:23 AM

wow, just checked the price on observing chairs , guess Ill just put up with the aching back , lol

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5514228 - 11/11/12 10:42 AM

Without an observing chair, your back will ache much worse, Andy!

There are plans where you can build your own, very inexpensively; just google for the plans. I have a home-made one, made for me by a wonderful member & his son.

droid
rocketman

#5514634 - 11/11/12 03:15 PM

wonder how much they would want for one???

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5514889 - 11/11/12 06:36 PM

Andy, this was a gift among friends. Their lives are very busy now, and haven't even been on CN for sometime now, because of this.

There are many DIY plans for different observing chairs, ranging from the simpliest, to the more elaborate. I'm sure you can find something that would be easy to build & would work well with your new scope. Can't think of the name now; but there's even a "bench" that can be uprighted for higher seating; that's very easy to build. Maybe someone here knows the name of it.

Awesomelenny
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/02/04

Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N
      #5532479 - 11/21/12 03:22 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

AstroRick

Reged: 08/13/12

Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: Awesomelenny]
      #5532505 - 11/21/12 03:35 PM

Mmmmm!

Clear skies and big drumsticks!!

Rick Burke

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 new [Re: AstroRick]
      #5533936 - 11/22/12 01:07 PM

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

droid
rocketman

Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 [Re: Steph]
      #5536274 - 11/23/12 09:10 PM

Hey stupid question here, yeah from me, go figure, anywhooo, does nay one remember the beots coffee cups? specifically the one with the moon in the photo to the left?
Id like to know if the web site is still selling them, or may be able too, a link would be appreciated.
I took mine to my daughters, and she stole it, ok I let her keep it,any ways it got broken in the dish washer, and Id like to buy her another one send it to her for christmas.

Just a link is all Im asking, lol.

Rusty
Postmaster

Reged: 08/06/03

Loc: Brooker, FL
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 [Re: droid]
      #5536384 - 11/23/12 10:34 PM

Well, Casey, Nelson, and I spent Thanksgiving at Nick and Donna Cagle and Nick's mother Violet (with #2 son Tim, Michelle and their younger Munchkin Lily, whom Scott and Diane would have met had they come to NEAF 2012) and Michelle's parents Doug and Enola Gay (I'm not making that up!). Tim smoked a 25 lb. turkey for about 18 hrs., and we had a great dinner. Tonight, Tim did creative things with leftovers, and we fed well again. #1 son Darryl, an OTR trucker with Stevens, was able to stop by, so we had a great time!

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Ohio Never Ending Star Party (BEOTS), Part 7 [Re: droid]
      #5536428 - 11/23/12 11:08 PM

Quote:

Hey stupid question here, yeah from me, go figure, anywhooo, does nay one remember the beots coffee cups? specifically the one with the moon in the photo to the left?
Id like to know if the web site is still selling them, or may be able too, a link would be appreciated.

I just checked, and BEOTS products from the last year we used Cafepress are still available. Includes a couple of coffee mugs, but probably not the one you show there.

http://www.cafepress.com/beots

Pages: << 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50887

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics