Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
New DSV-3 AltAz w/ encoders
      #5185992 - 04/23/12 08:52 AM

Desert Sky Astro has announced a new DSV-3 mount with an encoder option (Sky Commander) said to handle 5.5" refractors and 11" Scts. I've been waiting for this very mount as I have the spec scopes. Hopefully it delivers as advertised, it has alot of capabilities (slo-mo, brakes, eyepiece balancer, DSCs, vixen-losmandy saddle,panning handle and SS ball bearings)! It looks like a higher end alternative to the SkyTee-2 and SV MG2 mounts.

Edited by t.r. (04/23/12 08:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GShaffer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/09

Loc: Bogart, Ga USA
Re: New DSV-3 AltAz w/ encoders new [Re: t.r.]
      #5186029 - 04/23/12 09:23 AM

Hmmmmmm.....where did they announce this? Doesnt appear to be any hint of it on their website.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: New DSV-3 AltAz w/ encoders new [Re: GShaffer]
      #5186033 - 04/23/12 09:27 AM

The "other" site...A-mart.

GShaffer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/09

Loc: Bogart, Ga USA
Re: New DSV-3 AltAz w/ encoders new [Re: t.r.]
      #5186085 - 04/23/12 10:11 AM

Yep I found it....quick google located it. Guess he hasnt updated the website yet as per the announcement on AstroMart they arent taking orders yet.

Based on my experience with my DSV-1 I would say its worth looking at when it becomes available. I have insanely abused the DSV-1, it stays outside on my deck in the weather and has for at least a couple of years if not three. I have hauled it around in the back of my pickup a LOT, its beat up, scarred and keeps on working as new. For all I know it has survived a lightning strike! Not really but it sounds good lol

Point being I have heaped abuse on it, overloaded it insanely and it still functions smoothly and has not complained once, it does get a little weak in the knees when I put a C11 on one side and a 4" refractor on the other though

If I didnt already have a Stellarvue TSL-7 dual alt-az with DSC's I would not hesitate to put myself on the waiting list.

AZStarGuy
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/05/08

Loc: Scottsdale AZ
Re: New DSV-3 AltAz w/ encoders new [Re: GShaffer]
      #5186651 - 04/23/12 03:57 PM

I have met Raul a few times. He's a great guy who loves to constantly tinker and is always looking for ways to improve his mounts. I had a DSV-1 for a few years and it was a great basic alt-az. Each iteration of the DSV get's better and better. I can't speak to the DSV-3, but I will say he stands behind his work AND if you come up with suggestions, he's always been open and actually worked on a few.

If you pull the trigger on one, definitely post up some pictures and your impressions.

skullpin
sage

Reged: 03/13/09

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Re: New DSV-3 AltAz w/ encoders new [Re: AZStarGuy]
      #5395258 - 08/30/12 04:46 PM

Just checking.... has anyone here used this new mount yet?

I recently sold my DSV-2. A great mount, but a little too squirrelly with a TV127. The altitude break was not enough for heavy eyepiece changes and balancing was a bit frustrating as any change to the QBS threw the scope widely off target. Great with smaller scopes though.

Keith

stephanm

Reged: 07/07/11

Re: New DSV-3 AltAz w/ encoders new [Re: skullpin]
      #5559102 - 12/07/12 11:19 AM

Hi,

Has anyone had a chance to use the DSV-3 mount from Desert Sky View? I recently acquired a Skywatcher 120 ED Pro which is too much for my CG-4. I only do visual and really don't need an EQ mount. This looks like a decent heavy duty alt az mount that will hold my scope.

Thanks,
Stephan

Pages: 1

Extra information
30 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1547

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics