Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Manny Myles
Postmaster

Reged: 11/29/05

Loc: Far South of the flyover city ...
Re: New Orion Alt-Az Mounts new [Re: Locoman]
      #5202709 - 05/02/12 08:36 PM

Just checked the tracking on my ES version of the mount and looks like this Friday it will be here.
Thanks Locoman for the heads up on Telescopes.com having it.
m2

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OldManInHawaii

Reged: 03/12/12

Re: New Orion Alt-Az Mounts new [Re: Manny Myles]
      #5203013 - 05/03/12 12:53 AM

m2,

I will be very interested in hearing your opinion of the ES Twilight I/VG III.

My ES 102ED APO just arrived today and it's crying out to be pointed at the night sky.

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Re: New Orion Alt-Az Mounts new [Re: OldManInHawaii]
      #5204308 - 05/03/12 05:41 PM

Me too ! I've got a new Orion 120 f/5 to mount.

mekaone

Reged: 08/18/11

Loc: Upstate NY, USA
Re: New Orion Alt-Az Mounts new [Re: munchmeister]
      #5236711 - 05/24/12 03:52 AM

I'm very interested in the VG III too. I was about to ready to get the Vixen Porta II when I found this and the ES Twilight I. The ES and the VG III look like the same exact mounts. I think if I purchased one I would have to go with the ES because it is about $30 bucks cheeper. Both have free shipping. I think this would be a excellent mount for my ED80. Looking forward to seeing the reviews on them.

mekaone

Re: New Orion Alt-Az Mounts new [Re: mekaone]
      #5237320 - 05/24/12 01:33 PM

The ES web page has them in stock and shipping. I called and they told me that they were posting photos and other info some time today. I am going to place my order for it tonight when I get home. I forgot to bring my credit card :-)
The web page:
http://store.explorescientific.com/twilightiadjustableheadmountandtripod.aspx

Manny Myles
Postmaster

Re: New Orion Alt-Az Mounts new [Re: mekaone]
      #5237951 - 05/24/12 07:59 PM

I have had my ES Twightlight for abount a month now, quite nice.
m2

OldManInHawaii

#5238159 - 05/24/12 10:48 PM

Manny,

How does the ES TW I compare with some of the other alt-az mounts you've had or used? Also, someone posted a question in your other thread about whether this mount could be installed on a surveyors tripod.

Thanks.

mekaone

#5239741 - 05/25/12 09:14 PM

I just placed my order today from ES. I did first call Orion to see if they would match the price and they stated no! I purchase most of my other equipment from them and they have been very helpful so I always try them first. Anyhow, I told them that I wish I could have purchased from them but if some one else is selling the same thing that it cheeper and with free shipping I have to go with them. They told me that they understood. I hope they did because they just lost that transaction. It should be at my house in 4 business days so with the holiday weekend we are talking next Friday. Just in time to use for next weekend. I hope it is clear :-) After that I'll post my thoughts on it. I am looking forward to seeing other peoples reviews too. 73

Manny Myles
Postmaster

#5240259 - 05/26/12 06:36 AM

Quote:

Manny,

How does the ES TW I compare with some of the other alt-az mounts you've had or used? Also, someone posted a question in your other thread about whether this mount could be installed on a surveyors tripod.

Thanks.

I have the Portamount both first and second edition, 2 Voyagers and the EST and really like the EST but also not going to stop using the other mounts.
It could be the new toy love so the test of time will be the deciding factor.
As for mounting the EST on a surveyor tripod , I don't see why not as the head readily removes, just need the correct retaing device to hold it on the other tripod.
Maybe if time permits, I'll try it on my Oberwerk blemish model, but don't see any problems other than needing to have the spacer for underneath the tripod head,,, I already have that part though.
m2

OldManInHawaii

#5240794 - 05/26/12 02:24 PM

Manny,

Many thanks for your input about the new VG III/ EST mount. You certainly have a large collection of alt-az units.

I was considering making a spacer disk to enable the EST head installation on my old Meade tripod w/ its 2" steel legs, but changed my mind.

As a side comment to choosing the ES vs. Orion units, I notice that ES will give a 5-year warranty if you register the mount with them whereas Orion only has the 1 year standard warranty. Maybe that will change in the future, but that's what I see right now. Then again, you probably won't need the 5 year warranty anyway because there doesn't seem to be much that could fail on the EST.

Manny Myles
Postmaster

#5241775 - 05/27/12 06:38 AM

The main reason for the number of mounts is I make mods for them and got tired of disassembling them to make sure they fit.
With the EST, it's the same as the Porta's so no duplication needed there.
m2

Manny Myles
Postmaster

#5241777 - 05/27/12 06:45 AM

Just reading your sidenote,,,,, how would you register the product when no paperwork come with the mount.
m2

OldManInHawaii

#5242182 - 05/27/12 12:51 PM

Quote:

Just reading your sidenote,,,,, how would you register the product when no paperwork come with the mount.
m2

Their product registration website is down for maintenance right now, but you can do it online here: http://explorescientific.com/customerservice/explorescientificproductregistration.html

Prior to the maintenance outage, you could also download the blank registration form from that website & mail it in. Not sure if that option will still be available, however.

But what I did was add it on the form that came with my 102ED APO scope. I called the sales people and asked about the serial number, and they said the Twilight I does not currently have any.

-OMIH

OldManInHawaii

#5281723 - 06/21/12 02:00 AM Attachment (59 downloads)

Weather has been wet, clousy, and windy lately & I got bored with spending more time looking at my new scope & mount vs. looking through it. So I took out my old rusty Skil saw, hole saw & electric drill, a scrap piece of wood, and black spray paint to make a spacer/adapter plate for installing my new ES Twilight I mount head onto my rusty tripod for my old Meade 2080 SCT. I was mainly interested in seeing how much improvement there would be in vibration levels with the heavier tripod.

The resulting installation is shown on the photo. OK, it's not very aesthetically pleasing but does the job. You will note that I had to leave the spreader plate off although I think I can rig something up to accommodate the Meade spreader.

OldManInHawaii

#5281730 - 06/21/12 02:09 AM

Vibration was noticeably improved with higher frequency oscillations, smaller amplitude of vibration, and quicker damping time vs. w/ the ES TW I tripod. That isn't to say that the ES TW I system is bad - it's just that this combination w/ the Meade tripod is a little better.

My Meade tripod weighs 18 lbs. which is a few lbs more than the entire TW I mount + tripod. I'll plan to use the Meade tripod when I'm at home, but will use the factory ES TW I tripod when I go elsewhere.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6034

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics