Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Shows & Conferences

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: PJ Anway]
      #5201418 - 05/02/12 08:59 AM

It may have seemed less 'busy' this year with fewer vendors, however the vendors selling things looked packed all day long. While some other vendors showing products looked bored quite often. I missed some of the higher end scope and equipment guys this year too. I do know some of them will be at AIC instead.

I only spend $250 but really was wanting to be 'sold' a new CCD camera. I was not offered enough of a discount to make me whip out my cash, however to be fair this vendor was so busy all day long she did not have time to really talk with people other than to take their money.

It is a day long drive each way for me, but without a doubt worth it. I will be back next year.

Dean

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Chucky]
      #5201436 - 05/02/12 09:14 AM

Quote:

Wonder if would be best to have the show every two years?

BETTER NOT!!!! This was my 5th NEAF and as enjoyable as the 1st 4, if not better. I still spent and brought home a scope, eyepieces, filters and plenty of freebies for my club's outreach events.

Great job Alan, and thanks so much for the help in getting my new purchases out through the bay door.

bob71741
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/16/08

Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: DeanS]
      #5201439 - 05/02/12 09:16 AM

I do not know what kind of camera you were looking for, but Point Grey was giving out 50% off coupons for their cameras. They even mentioned that in the NEIAC post shown below.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: bob71741]
      #5201449 - 05/02/12 09:26 AM

I am looking for a 4000 Kodak chip camera with filter wheel and OAG. I did look at their products, nice stuff.

Gone caving
Vendor (Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering)

Reged: 04/02/07

Loc: Underground... really
Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: bob71741]
      #5201452 - 05/02/12 09:30 AM

Fred1
Always there to help! We try very hard to produce a great show.....not an easy task.....

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Chucky]
      #5201457 - 05/02/12 09:35 AM

Quote:

Wonder if would be best to have the show every two years?

No way! Why ?

The show was full of novelties and full of opportunities.

All the TV stuff was offered at almost 15% discount. I bought a DMK41 mono camera for $505 instead of the regular $630. There was a TOA130 in pristine condition for $4600 at Woodland Hills. If I didn't purchase an FSQ106EDX this time (which again was very nicely discounted ) I would have jumped on it. There was plenty of everything.

I don't really see what's there to complain about. If you guys lived in my country I am sure you wouldn't be complaining at all!

Alan, please don't be discouraged by the negative comments. You have done a terrific job in bringing in all those vendors. It must be very hard to convince them to buy a spot at the show, take all the trouble to ship their stuff, pay all the sales tax and still discount the prices to the end users. Please keep up the good work!

Greg K.Administrator

Reged: 12/11/03

Loc: Clifton Park, NY
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Gone caving]
      #5201465 - 05/02/12 09:39 AM

I thought Saturday seemed as busy as I'd ever seen it, and it was my 6th year in a row attending.

Sunday seemed a little more subdued than usual, but it's always a slower day. But the weather was nice, and the solar observing was great!

Looking forward to NEAF 2013!

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5201497 - 05/02/12 09:59 AM

Quote:

Alan, please don't be discouraged by the negative comments. You have done a terrific job in bringing in all those vendors. It must be very hard to convince them to buy a spot at the show, take all the trouble to ship their stuff, pay all the sales tax and still discount the prices to the end users. Please keep up the good work!

Yes! And I hope that nobody misunderstood my earlier comment about buying nothing this year as implying that I saw no bargains. I just wasn't shopping for anything. My last three major telescope purchases were at NEAF 2009, 2010, and 2011 and those deals were terrific.

rodney
Vendor - Explora Dome

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Asbury, NJ
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5201541 - 05/02/12 10:27 AM

From what I gathered the show was another success (thank you Alan). I did notice though that there was not a lot of NEW visual stuff out there. Some vendor booths were smaller in relation to years past.

From a vendor stand point it was a terrific year for Explora Dome. All 4 observatories were sold en route to the show. And lets not get into the orders that loaded up quickly Saturday morning. And heck, the products we have are not really cash and carry.

Alan and I have a very nice surprise lined up for next years NEAF. Alan, mums the word.

This year I had the opportunity to enjoy the solar party on Sunday. One word "Amazing".

Clear skies, and thanks everyone for a record year.

StephAdministrator
Texas Wildflower

Reged: 06/11/05

Loc: North Texas
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Greg K.]
      #5201621 - 05/02/12 11:19 AM

Quote:

I thought Saturday seemed as busy as I'd ever seen it, and it was my 6th year in a row attending.

Sunday seemed a little more subdued than usual, but it's always a slower day. But the weather was nice, and the solar observing was great!

Looking forward to NEAF 2013!

^ This. Except it was my 5th year. And I loved looking through that Lunt 230 at the solar set-up.

You did a great job, Alan.

Mr_T
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/06/08

Loc: NJ
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Steph]
      #5201683 - 05/02/12 11:49 AM

I also thought the attendance was up on the Saturday as Parking was almost gone by 9:30. Looked pretty crowded to me

I made one purchase from Optec who was offering 15% off there Flip flap

keep up the good work Guys and Girls
Les

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: Greg K.]
      #5201684 - 05/02/12 11:50 AM

Quote:

.....Sunday seemed a little more subdued than usual, but it's always a slower day. But the weather was nice, and the solar observing was great! ....

One think to remember: last year the solar viewing was awful, and this year it was OK on Saturday, spectacular on Sunday morning, and still good Sunday afternoon. Also there were a lot more scopes. As a result a lot more people were out on the “solar field”, for longer, meaning that they couldn’t be walking around the main floor.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: George N]
      #5201767 - 05/02/12 12:34 PM

Did you guys go to a different show? I’ve been to all but 3, and I found NEAF 2012 very exciting…… perhaps partly because a group I’m a part of, Kopernik Observatory, had a booth for the first time this year.

Astronomics cut back (for this year only for personal reasons), POD had already said that they were too busy with deliveries to send an example, Marcus said that he was concentrating on Lunt this year, B&H was closed on Saturday (but so is the store, and most NYC camera stores - for the Sabbath). Orion has only been to one NEAF, and that was a year that they were showing a lot of proto-type Dobs (which generated a lot of negative comment right here in CN). There have been “empty booths” every year.

Books? Cambridge University Press were offering a substantial discount, and I bought a slightly damaged copy of “The Secret Deep” for less than half price.

On the flip side, I saw lots of good merchandise at the “stores” like Woodland Hills at discount prices (sales tax hidden and no shipping too), including much solar gear. Vixen seemed to be showing more, Meade had the very latest, Explore Scientific had more stuff than in the past, including a large trailer full of some nifty new products (including two new carbon fiber APO’s not yet in production – I just may get the 80mm) and a mid-size Dob. The ES rep also discussed with me their in-development flattener/reducer lens that will provide a full 40mm field with the ES127ED. There were GEMs from a new Korean company, and SBIG was showing a brand new camera line. The display of “classic scopes” was great. All of the presentations I attended were great, and Astronomical League, IDA, ASP & Night Sky Network had representatives and separate special events.

Magazines? In addition to the usual Sky&Tel, Astronomy, Astro Tech Today, and Amateur Astronomy, the UK magazines showed up for what I believe is the first time this year.

Don Yeier of VERNONscope was offering a few Brandon ‘blems’ and a number of antique items at what he claimed were “loss” prices, and he would go down in price as he talked. The SARD binoculars he had went in the first hour of the show.

I certainly came home from NEAF 2012 a “happy camper”, with lots of ideas for my future observing projects and gear.

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
Re: Anyone else enjoy themselfs at NEAF 2012? new [Re: George N]
      #5201819 - 05/02/12 12:55 PM

I spent less than usual ($100 for a 2" TMB diagonal and $268 for a Catsperch 'MiniPerch' chair plus a few minor things), but I also brought along four friends/family members rather than the usual ONE.

We all had a great time. Sounds like they all will be joining me again next year.

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Gone caving]
      #5201821 - 05/02/12 12:57 PM

Quote:

Boy you guys are tough! Attendance was up, Vendors are telling me they did better than ever.... I'm sorry if a company doesn't show up, as there are many reasons that could make that happen. Sickness,death, etc etc . So if you were disappointed, I'm sorry. The job is open anytime... next year think what you can do to help promote our amazing hobby and help me spread the word to our youth.....

I saw more vendors enjoying themself more than ever before...

Eh, no thanks! Great show, IMHO.

Clay Kessler
sage

Reged: 04/16/07

Loc: Manchester MI
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Gone caving]
      #5201939 - 05/02/12 01:50 PM

Quote:

Boy you guys are tough! Attendance was up, Vendors are telling me they did better than ever.... I'm sorry if a company doesn't show up, as there are many reasons that could make that happen. Sickness,death, etc etc . So if you were disappointed, I'm sorry. The job is open anytime... next year think what you can do to help promote our amazing hobby and help me spread the word to our youth.....

I saw more vendors enjoying themself more than ever before...

I had a GREAT time! Our booth was very busy AND I had a very nice time looking at (and purchasing) some of the neat stuff on display. I will admit it was my first year - but it will not be my last!!!

gatorengineer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/28/05

Loc: Hellertown, PA
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: Clay Kessler]
      #5201954 - 05/02/12 01:55 PM

I couldnt even get a price on that used Vega Maknewt I saw....LOL

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5201961 - 05/02/12 01:58 PM

I want to clarify my earlier statement, I was disappointed in that several booths were empty, but as I don't know the situation with the vendors (some one may have been sick) its to be expected. But like usual NEAF is the best astronomy show period. The kids and I get there at 10am and stay until 4PM and my kids never want to leave and I am going back next year and hope to pick up the new Lunt Eyepieces for Solar and get an SBIGG camera (and my annual pilgrimage to Defiant Brewery). From speaking to the vendors many of them made very good sales and they all had what equipment I needed (DMK 41 and Astronomik RGB-L filters). If you have never been there, you really should attend. Alan and team make every effort to have people enjoy themselves and it shows. Maybe we should follow Alan's advice, lets invite more of our astronomy clubs, more of our attendees to come, without us (the amateur astronomers) many people will never see a planet, a cluster or a galaxy with their own eyes.

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: gatorengineer]
      #5201986 - 05/02/12 02:13 PM

Quote:

I couldnt even get a price on that used Vega Maknewt I saw....LOL

Why would you want to buy used stuff anyway?

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Anyone else disappointed in NEAF 2012? new [Re: The Ardent]
      #5202052 - 05/02/12 02:44 PM

Quote:

I recognized several members of these forums, but not one of them introduced themselves. There seemed a lack of general friendliness.

Friendliness is a two way street; you many have recognized them; but perhaps they didn't recognize you. Question is; did you go up to any of them, & introduce yourself?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10881

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics