Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Vegas|13Five
journeyman

Reged: 04/23/12

IEQ 30 - On it's way new
      #5200390 - 05/01/12 03:43 PM

After a few months of battling internally on a lightweight mount with decent capacity i finally settled on the IEQ30. Will be carrying my VMC200L with autoguider and camera (should be under 18lb of gear fully loaded); lets see how it does, UPS shows it arriving Friday...!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
Re: IEQ 30 - On it's way new [Re: Vegas|13Five]
      #5200396 - 05/01/12 03:47 PM

Quote:

After a few months of battling internally on a lightweight mount with decent capacity i finally settled on the IEQ30. Will be carrying my VMC200L with autoguider and camera (should be under 18lb of gear fully loaded); lets see how it does, UPS shows it arriving Friday...!

would enjoy hearing about it and seeing pics with the scope mounted. I'm giving serious consideration to the iEQ30 for use with my FSQ-106. -Tim

Vondragonnoggin
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/10

Loc: Southern CA, USA
Re: IEQ 30 - On it's way new [Re: zawijava]
      #5200402 - 05/01/12 03:50 PM

Can't wait for the report - seriously considering this mount for my two current scopes at 15lbs each or a new one that will be more like 10lbs.

Vegas|13Five
journeyman

Re: IEQ 30 - On it's way new [Re: Vondragonnoggin]
      #5200420 - 05/01/12 04:04 PM

Will get pictures posted as soon as it shows; hope to get out to Mt. Charleston with it this weekend if weather allows. The (only) beautifull thing about vegas; clear skies almost every day...

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5200549 - 05/01/12 05:32 PM

Mine arrived yesterday...unfortunately, it came in three boxes with TWO mount heads and no pier. We're getting it straightened out. Looks cool, though.

Paul

igluck

Reged: 06/28/06

#5200553 - 05/01/12 05:35 PM

Also looking forward to hearing how it does. I almost bought one at NEAF this past weekend, but decided to let you all be the beta testers, err, I mean lucky first users.

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: IEQ 30 - On it's way new [Re: psandelle]
      #5200557 - 05/01/12 05:36 PM

Quote:

Mine arrived yesterday...unfortunately, it came in three boxes with TWO mount heads and no pier. We're getting it straightened out. Looks cool, though. Paul

I wonder who the lucky person is that's getting two piers and NO mount head

Vegas|13Five
journeyman

#5200560 - 05/01/12 05:40 PM

This would be just my luck; I went with standard tripod so maybe just straight forwad enough for the fellas in shipping...

psandelle
professor emeritus

#5200657 - 05/01/12 06:42 PM

Vegas - they were being nice and rushing it to me (while people were away at NEAF) and there was a quick mix-up at the LA Port. They've already got the pier coming out and I have my return UPS label ready to go.

Everyone's been really great all through this and the buying stage. They always answer my questions very quickly, etc.

Paul

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #5200758 - 05/01/12 07:46 PM

looks like good gear to me. I look forward to vibration testing by purchasers. Anything quieter than the CG5 sounds good to me.

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: IEQ 30 - On it's way new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5200866 - 05/01/12 08:58 PM

Looking at the pictures on ioptron's website, the ieq30 does NOT appear to use the same 4 knobbed clutch design that caused problems in the ieg45. But I can't see a clutch lever in the pictures. I'd like to know how the ieq30 clutch works if one of the new owners could report that back. Thanks in advance!...John

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: IEQ 30 - On it's way new [Re: John Miele]
      #5200953 - 05/01/12 10:32 PM

Quote:

Looking at the pictures on ioptron's website, the ieq30 does NOT appear to use the same 4 knobbed clutch design that caused problems in the ieg45. But I can't see a clutch lever in the pictures. I'd like to know how the ieq30 clutch works if one of the new owners could report that back. Thanks in advance!...John

John, It's a single lever design, on the opposite side of the axis that shows in the pics you mentioned. Someone posted a Thread here in Mounts category with a link to a NEAF video of the iEQ30, it shows the clutch in action. Look for thread called iEQ30. -Tim

psandelle
professor emeritus

#5204144 - 05/03/12 04:13 PM

Pier arrived Tuesday...but a particular bolt was missing (one was supposed to be taken off the iEQ30 tripod, but I didn't order it with a tripod) - as the new pier works with either the 45 or 30 (just change bolts). The bolt allows for fine alt/az corrections. It's in the mail now.

The clutch system is easy and lays out well against the hand. Setup is quick. I did an inside-the-house test to hear the motors...fairly quiet. I'll get a db reading on another day (I want that bolt!).

So far, with a few hiccups in getting everything gathered in one place, it's nice.

Paul

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
      #5204586 - 05/03/12 09:05 PM

Thanks Tim!

Quote:

Quote:

John, It's a single lever design, on the opposite side of the axis that shows in the pics you mentioned. Someone posted a Thread here in Mounts category with a link to a NEAF video of the iEQ30, it shows the clutch in action. Look for thread called iEQ30. -Tim

Pedestal
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/11/06

Loc: Smoggy Bottom, Baytown,Texas
Re: IEQ 30 - On it's way [Re: John Miele]
      #5206408 - 05/04/12 09:37 PM

I ordered one yesterday, I sure hope it arrives in time to get it sorted out before the transit. I plan to mount my 80mm WO triplet and camera on it.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: IEQ 30 - On it's way new [Re: Pedestal]
      #5206948 - 05/05/12 09:54 AM

I wonder if I can order the mount without a tripod. I already have both tripods and the pier. Don't need another one!

PeterWar

Reged: 08/25/11

Re: IEQ 30 - On it's way new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5206955 - 05/05/12 10:11 AM

This thread looks promising, can't wait to see the first pics and get more reports.

I'm interested to buy it, although ieq30 looks expensive as it's almost the price of ieq45.

Vondragonnoggin
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/10

Loc: Southern CA, USA
Re: IEQ 30 - On it's way new [Re: PeterWar]
      #5206997 - 05/05/12 10:47 AM

Quote:

This thread looks promising, can't wait to see the first pics and get more reports.

I'm interested to buy it, although ieq30 looks expensive as it's almost the price of ieq45.

If you are like me, then you'll pay extra for the reduced weight it has.

I was looking at the LX-80 and saw the total weight and dismissed it. Don't want my setup to be a chore. The ieq45 is pretty light too. I'm also considering that one, but this 30 really looks like the ticket for me.

psandelle
professor emeritus

Re: IEQ 30 - On it's way new [Re: Vondragonnoggin]
      #5207023 - 05/05/12 11:15 AM

By the way, took it out for a quick (three hour run) with a friend's Mallincam on a Simon-Boren 6" PowerNewt. Quick polar align (still haven't gotten the missing screw yet for fine alt/az adjustment). Go-to's were all on the chip (granted, it's an F/2.8) and damping times on the pier were under a second. I tapped the foot of the pier, the mid-section of the pier, and the mount head. All the same under 1 second damp.

Someone in another discussion suggested a tennis ball on a string (or something) to be able to quantify the force used when measuring damping. No way I'm throwin' a tennis ball at my scope, even if it's for the good of science!

Paul
So far, so good.

Pedestal
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/11/06

Loc: Smoggy Bottom, Baytown,Texas
      #5207098 - 05/05/12 12:00 PM

Oop! Posted in wrong thread!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2357

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics