Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Erik Bakker]
      #5242777 - 05/27/12 07:57 PM

so it's 4 elements, 51 degrees. I would love to get my hands on one! I wonder if any of them ever made it across the pond.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5243281 - 05/28/12 04:31 AM

Quote:

As others already mentioned here, they are 27mm focal length eyepieces, made for medical surgery.

Made for medical surgery and other similar applications, yes, but not 27mm focal length, but 25mm. Unless my 25mm UO's are 27mm focal length... I doubt this is the case. If they really were 27mm and the UO's are 25mm, that would be an 8% difference in magnification, quite obvious to see in direct comparison. And I could see no difference whatsoever, so the focal lengths are within a percent or so of each other.

The 27mm focal length stated on the B-W homepage is definitely an error. It also doesn't match the "10x" inscription on the eyepieces, as this translates to 25mm focal length per international standards.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Paul C-I

Reged: 03/23/08

Loc: United Kingdom
      #5243919 - 05/28/12 01:22 PM

I also have a pair of the same models that Tammy's pic shows plus some recent adapters supplied by Markus Ludes.
I have compared them with Brandon 24's and Pan 24's and the image scale of the object viewed kinda puts the Zeiss eps at about 27-8mm. I know this may not be an exact scientific calculation but certainly puts them higher than 25mm.
YMMV
Oh.....I forgot to say....Cracking performers through my Baader Mkv's and Vixen Atlux!
Paul

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Paul C-I]
      #5244042 - 05/28/12 02:25 PM

I measured mine again today, this time comparing them with a 27mm eyepiece from a finderscope. The finderscope eyepiece had a definitely smaller image. It was not subtle. A single millimeter of focal length difference is clearly visible, not to mention two. I also compared them to my 25mm TS Kellners. Again the image was 100% identical in size.

These are 25mm eyepieces. Period.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

daniel_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/08

Loc: VIC, Australia
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5245133 - 05/29/12 06:32 AM

Picked up a zeiss aspheric 25mm 3el aspheric microscope converted by APM ep real cheap, your rig about the crispness, next to a Koenig the moon is totally diff, neutral & sharp

langejcarl
sage

Reged: 01/05/05

Loc: Michigan USA
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5245596 - 05/29/12 12:53 PM

Are the housings and barrels on the newer ones black anondized metal or some kind of plastic?

Junn Chavez

Reged: 02/24/09

#5251957 - 06/02/12 12:19 PM Attachment (53 downloads)

Hello to all,

I am also using a Zeiss microscope eyepiece for binoviewing. I find them very sharp, contrasty on planets and the Moon. Also for solar observation using a 2" Lunt Herschel wedge.

Clear skies

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Junn Chavez]
      #5261019 - 06/07/12 10:45 PM

OK, for those - like myself - who have never dealt in Euros, 99 Euros is about $124. So for a pair of the 25mm Zeiss West (Oberkochen) microscope eyepieces, Thomas paid $248.

Now we all know...

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5261077 - 06/07/12 11:12 PM

Is there any good source on this side of the pond for microscope eyepieces which can be used for astronomy? I'm reluctant to order from Europe because of currency exchange problems and delays in customs, not to mention the economic flux that the Continent is currently experiencing.

I have seen many microscope eyepieces for sale on eBay. I stay away from the "K" type, for fear they may be Kompensation. It is difficult to know which are gems and which are junk. I'm not convinced that everything marked "Zeiss" is going to excel in a telescope.

A company based in Belarus seems to have bought out an entire warehouse of microscope eyepieces. Many are LOMO, which are supposed to be Eastern European inheritors of Zeiss brains and equipment.

Recently I bought a pair of LOMO microscope eyepieces from the Belarus company. Took a couple weeks to arrive, which was surprising, since a CZJ Huygens I ordered from Poland took over a month.

The Belarus eyepieces are marked "O12.5x." So they are LOMO/Zeiss Orthoscopic ("Ortoscop") 20mm eyepieces. I paid $59 for the pair, $71 after shipping.

I've only used them once, to observe Saturn and Mars through my binoviewer, but I know they are excellent eyepieces. Contrasty and sharp, as would be expected from good orthos. I expect great things from them when I observe Jupiter later this year.

I just wish the Belarus vendor had "Ortoscop" pairs in focal lengths besides 20mm. They seem to have an overabundance of the LOMO Ortoscop 12.5x. Maybe they were the standard pair used in Russian and Eastern European schools and hospitals.

Mike

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5262568 - 06/08/12 10:11 PM

This is all very interesting as I kind of unknowingly took 25mm oculars for granted. Ive got 25mm and 26mm plossls and thought they were actually perfect. Id love to do and a-b with like quality oculars such as these.

Thomas Im very glad you found much satisfaction here.

Pete

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5262570 - 06/08/12 10:13 PM

By the way Thomas...

What is the deepsky verdict on deepsky with your binos. Its dimmer but can you see as much or more detail because its two eyes despite being dimmer?

Pete

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5262583 - 06/08/12 10:23 PM

Pete,

The problem is not only that the image is dimmer because it's passed through a binoviewer - read EdZ's posts on this subject - but since you are dark-adapted when viewing DSO, your visual acuity will be diminished as compared to viewing bright planets or the Moon. So there are two flys in the ointment before the horse is even out of the gate.

One way to compensate for the degradation in detail due to dark adaptation is to pump up the power. This works especially well on planetaries and brighter galaxies.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5262594 - 06/08/12 10:33 PM

I see a pair of Thomas' eyepieces for $299 on eBay UK. These are screw-in eyepieces but it does not look like the 1.25" barrel attachments are included. Where would you get the 1.25" barrels to fit the threads on these Zeiss?

Zeiss 10x/22 B Microscope eyepieces

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5262619 - 06/08/12 10:54 PM

Alright, here's another pair of the Zeiss 10x/22 B, again without the barrels. The ad says that the eyepieces have a 36mm female thread. Are 1.25" barrels available to fit this thread size?

Help yourself, folks. I think the field stop on these eyepieces would be too large for my Burgess Binoviewer. I am afraid they would vignette.

West Carl Zeiss T* 10x/22B OPMI special eyepieces NIB

Mike

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5262789 - 06/09/12 01:57 AM

Quote:

I think the field stop on these eyepieces would be too large for my Burgess Binoviewer. I am afraid they would vignette.

Well, the field stop is 22mm. There is no vignetting in my Baader Maxbrights.

Quote:

The ad says that the eyepieces have a 36mm female thread. Are 1.25" barrels available to fit this thread size?

The thread is actually a little larger than 36mm. My caliper says 36.7mm. The threads are fine, about 0.75mm. I thought that there might have been a chance (before I measured them) that they would fit Vixen M36.4x1 threads, but they didn't.

A local machinist can likely make some 1.25" barrels for them. You could also contact B+W optics, who (used to?) sell them, equipped with 1.25" barrels. Another alternative is APM telescopes.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5263028 - 06/09/12 08:46 AM

Thomas,

Quote:

Well, the field stop is 22mm. There is no vignetting in my Baader Maxbrights.

Good, field stop diameter is one of the most important specs to find out when choosing eyepieces for a binoviewer. These Zeiss would be fine for my old Burgess, right there at the maximum CA without vignetting. Mine can handle up to about 23mm.

Quote:

The thread is actually a little larger than 36mm. My caliper says 36.7mm. The threads are fine, about 0.75mm. I thought that there might have been a chance (before I measured them) that they would fit Vixen M36.4x1 threads, but they didn't.

A local machinist can likely make some 1.25" barrels for them. You could also contact B+W optics, who (used to?) sell them, equipped with 1.25" barrels. Another alternative is APM telescopes.

I think it'd be best to deterimine if barrels are available off-the-shelf before anyone - at least anyone with modest means - buys a pair of the "screw-in" eyepieces. A machinist's labor can add substantially to the total cost. I avoid them like the plague. My pockets aren't that deep! If someone has a friend that can do work like that on the cheap, go for it.

Mike

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5263371 - 06/09/12 12:58 PM

Quote:

A machinist's labor can add substantially to the total cost. I avoid them like the plague. My pockets aren't that deep! If someone has a friend that can do work like that on the cheap, go for it.

I was indeed thinking more in line of "a friend with a lathe", rather than "professional machine shop"!

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
      #5263531 - 06/09/12 03:10 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Quote:

I think it'd be best to deterimine if barrels are available off-the-shelf before anyone - at least anyone with modest means - buys a pair of the "screw-in" eyepieces. A machinist's labor can add substantially to the total cost. I avoid them like the plague. My pockets aren't that deep! If someone has a friend that can do work like that on the cheap, go for it.

Mike

The film canister trick works just fine for Eps with microscope barrels in place - assuming you can find them (I still shoot 35mm film). It may not be elegant but the fit is pretty remarkable over the 30mm (1.18") standard microscope barrel of the Zeiss and brings it out almost to 1.25". This is how I use my Zeiss eyepieces with my Mark V. The Mark V eyepiece clamps center and hold them in place very well - there is just a minimal amount of play with the film canister before clamping but they don't budge after tightening.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5263676 - 06/09/12 04:44 PM

Thomas,

Quote:

I was indeed thinking more in line of "a friend with a lathe", rather than "professional machine shop"!

Unfortunately, I suspect most people, even if they have a friend with a lathe, do not have a friend with the skill and experience to thread a pipe to the precision required. I lack both.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! [Re: Doug D.]
      #5263680 - 06/09/12 04:48 PM

Doug,

Quote:

The film canister trick works just fine for Eps with microscope barrels in place - assuming you can find them (I still shoot 35mm film). It may not be elegant but the fit is pretty remarkable over the 30mm (1.18") standard microscope barrel of the Zeiss and brings it out almost to 1.25". This is how I use my Zeiss eyepieces with my Mark V. The Mark V eyepiece clamps center and hold them in place very well - there is just a minimal amount of play with the film canister before clamping but they don't budge after tightening.

Well, that's doable. I did upgrade the eyepiece holders on my binoviewer to the twist-and-tighten type. I was able to buy them from Burgess before he relocated to a tropical island or whatever he's doing now.

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14497

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics