Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Netherlands, Valkenburg
Interested in an advanced star atlas/iPhone/iPad?
      #5265840 - 06/11/12 08:08 AM Attachment (133 downloads)

I really miss a high contrast atlas for my iPhone and iPad. At the 18" scope, i'm using the excellent sky safari, but it lacks contrast and intuitive controls PDF readers don't support night vision modes and are very slow when loading large pdfs.
So i decided to make one myself. It is based on the excellent Triatlas and used with permission. The app will be free of charge (maybe i'll make a pro version later with integrated memo recorder). Stars up to 12.6 and galaxies up to mag 15.7.
The features in te upcoming release are:
intuitive navigation (index-chart with all constellations zoom in to subcharts)
excellent performance.
atlas zoom, pinch, scroll,
night vision
flip chart
mirror chart
brightness control

Future versions will have
memorecorder (with GPS stamp)
messier/ngc/ic search

Note that it is an atlas: no planetarium features or searching (yet). But it will suit my needs. What do you think?
Regards
Norbert

Edited by Nop (06/11/12 08:13 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

Re: Interested in an advanced star atlas/iPhone/iPad? new [Re: Nop]
      #5265847 - 06/11/12 08:16 AM Attachment (100 downloads)

Night vision preview

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5265848 - 06/11/12 08:17 AM

Sweet. I don't have much recourse to a static atlas these days...but when I do, this will be cool.

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Interested in an advanced star atlas/iPhone/iPad? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5265902 - 06/11/12 08:58 AM

Back to Sky Safari for a moment. You said not enough contrast... Just turn off all the colors and go to night vision, the end result looks just like your second picture.
What you are making in interesting, but I think if you play with more settings in SS, you can get to where you want.

psonice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/24/09

Loc: Warrington, UK
Re: Interested in an advanced star atlas/iPhone/iPad? new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5265919 - 06/11/12 09:11 AM

I bet this will be very useful to a lot of people (a simple planetarium is better for my needs - but then an atlas is pretty much useless when light pollution makes most of the stars invisible!)

The night mode looks totally wrong though - you've got white on red, surely it should be red on black or black on red? A red background seems like a bad idea anyway. Are you just putting a transparent red UIView on top of it? It would be better to change the drawing itself if you are.

Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

Re: Interested in an advanced star atlas/iPhone/iPad? new [Re: psonice]
      #5265935 - 06/11/12 09:20 AM Attachment (53 downloads)

Tanks for your responses. @helpwanted. I didn't try that! Thanks for the hint
I have to play around with night vision. I have a combination of uiview and a pixelmap which inverts (difference) the colors. The combination comes close to good night vision, but i'll have to figure it out.

psonice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/24/09

Loc: Warrington, UK
      #5265961 - 06/11/12 09:38 AM

Quote:

I have to play around with night vision. I have a combination of uiview and a pixelmap which inverts (difference) the colors. The combination comes close to good night vision, but i'll have to figure it out.

You mean you're using a LUT to get colour values? If so I've found the best way to handle it is to convert to greyscale first, then simply zero the green/blue values. This gives you red on black if the chart is white on black, and you don't have to worry about losing e.g. blue or green text (they turn black if you're just using red values).

You can invert the resulting values, but this is best if it's optional I think unless your charts are black on white. As a rule you want nothing but red (pink = red + white, and white is bad!), so green/blue values should always be zeroed, and you want the minimum light possible so the goal is red text / stars on a black background. It can help if you can also dim the red (just multiply the red value by e.g. 0.5 for half brightness), although it's somewhat limited as you can't control the backlight.

All of this would be much easier (and actually 'free' when it comes to performance) if apple would just let us modify the colour/gamma LUTs on the GPU

marques

Reged: 03/03/08

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Re: Interested in an advanced star atlas/iPhone/iPad? new [Re: psonice]
      #5274018 - 06/16/12 07:06 AM

I think itīs a great idea! Above all, the possibility to record observations, looks interesting. Right now, you have to carry paper and pencil, no matter how "technological" your deployment may be. Itīs ok, but paper is problematic sometimes, due to dew and wind.
What about and objectīs index? J. Torres has one in plain text that I transformed into excel, if you need it, PM me.
And last question. Had you used the A, B or C charts? It could be nice to have the three of them. IMHO, A set is perfect for the finder and for quick searchs of not too difficult objects.

vkhastro1
sage

Reged: 08/21/05

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Interested in an advanced star atlas/iPhone/iPad? new [Re: marques]
      #5276704 - 06/18/12 08:38 AM

Definitely a need for your advanced star atlas.
I'd would use it, if available.
Go for it!!

bicparker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/07/05

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Re: Interested in an advanced star atlas/iPhone/iPad? new [Re: vkhastro1]
      #5277046 - 06/18/12 12:30 PM

This is really not a new idea as there already is a star atlas iOS app that is chart based - Star Charts by Wil Tirion.

It does not go as deep as your proposed program (stars to mag 6), but uses an existing set of charts (which I happen to own and bought in Australia) that he made a few years ago. It is not a bad application, really, but very simple in its design.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
Re: Interested in an advanced star atlas/iPhone/iPad? new [Re: bicparker]
      #5278637 - 06/19/12 11:16 AM

I am looking forward to this app! While I am a dedicated SkySafari Pro user, I can see where an excellent star atlas would be a much value.

Astraforce Paul
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/05/05

Re: Interested in an advanced star atlas/iPhone/iPad? new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5280979 - 06/20/12 04:28 PM

The app looks good and the features sound intriguing!

Definitely let us know when it's available on iTunes; along with others, I would certainly download it.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5281114 - 06/20/12 05:56 PM

Quote:

This is really not a new idea as there already is a star atlas iOS app that is chart based - Star Charts by Wil Tirion.

It does not go as deep as your proposed program (stars to mag 6), but uses an existing set of charts

Tri Atlas, which he is using does exist.

bicparker
Carpal Tunnel

#5281420 - 06/20/12 10:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It does not go as deep as your proposed program (stars to mag 6), but uses an existing set of charts

Tri Atlas, which he is using does exist.

Tri Atlas isn't an iOS app, though, is it (it isn't listed in the App Store)? Star Charts by Wil Tirion is. That was the only thing I was saying. Tri Atlas is basically a collection of atlas PDF files that aren't (yet) integrated into an app on the App Store.

Star Charts by Wil Tirion has some basic search (star and constellation) and a few other features. It appears to have some of the same issues as are being discussed here regarding its red "night" mode.

It uses the Star Charts loose page printed atlas that Tirion published in Australia in 2005 along with Astrovisuals. Astrovisuals released it as an iPad/iPhone app last September.

Again, this isn't as deep as the Tri Atlas group of maps, but it is an app and isn't a bad small atlas app for quick references.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5281882 - 06/21/12 08:02 AM

Quote:

Tri Atlas isn't an iOS app, though, is it (it isn't listed in the App Store)? Star Charts by Wil Tirion is.

The Tirion app is based on a set of charts. His proposed atlas is based on a set of charts. And the app can't exist before it is finished.

bicparker
Carpal Tunnel

#5281897 - 06/21/12 08:19 AM

And Rod, that was my point originally... that there is already an app using charts. nothing more.. I guess I'm missing your point.. which is?????

Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

#5288181 - 06/25/12 10:38 AM

Yes, its based on charts, it is essentially comparable to star charts (Will Tirion), but my app will have more than 250 charts, fully dimmable and a bigger feature set targeted for the observer (like built in memo recorder with GPS timestamp). I am even thinking about an integrated sketch pad!
( If you have an iPad or iPhone and want to beta test: send me a mail to info@ddq.nl )

bicparker
Carpal Tunnel

#5288368 - 06/25/12 12:17 PM

Norbert,
I look forward to your application. It will definitely be deeper than Wil's. I was particularly interested in his because it used those same charts I purchased in Australia several years ago. The charts are A4 sized and useful for quick views.

After using Wil's app a bit, I have found that an object index is the thing I probably miss the most. I am also curious... have you considered putting in any chart annotation features? I look at my and others' paper charts and they have collected tons of pencil notes over the years that I find myself relying upon for observing.

Good luck with it!

Nop
Vendor (iPushto)

#5326537 - 07/20/12 09:23 AM

Here's a sneak preview. About 40% of the maps are in. A lot of work in spare time. But it has to be complete on my next observing trip in August.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60W8txq0sU8&feature=player_embedded

AndreaF

Reged: 04/09/09

Loc: Italy - Venice
Re: Interested in an advanced star atlas/iPhone/iPad? [Re: Nop]
      #5326622 - 07/20/12 10:26 AM

very good! could you add a button to draw a circle in the middle of the window to simulate the eyepiece view? it could be a great help with starhopping

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5546

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics