Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
pjglad
sage

Reged: 01/29/11

Millennium Star Atlas
      #5267781 - 06/12/12 09:59 AM

Is this atlas out of print? Based on forum posts it appears that there is considerable interest in this atlas.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: pjglad]
      #5267799 - 06/12/12 10:13 AM

Yes, it has been out of print for a few years.

Regards,

Jim

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5267910 - 06/12/12 11:22 AM

Quote:

Is this atlas out of print?

Yes, and I think it's unlikely to be reprinted. The market for highly detailed atlases is modest, and it's probably shrinking rather than growing as planetarium software for computers and smart phones becomes more popular.

There has been some discussion about selling this in e-book form, which would require a much smaller investment than gearing up printing presses.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5268131 - 06/12/12 01:49 PM

I know that if it became available again, I'd be first in line to purchase it. I'd like to find a used hardback edition in good shape, but I'm not about to pay the outrageous prices that some knuckleheads are asking. I've seen some recent ads where people are asking inflated prices for SA2000 because they think it's out of print.

The Ardent
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
      #5268740 - 06/12/12 09:14 PM

I use a Millenium in the field. I like the look, layout, and depth. Here's what i want from a new edition:

Northern hemisphere edition goes to -60 dec only
Spiral bound
More overlap
More DSO's
Struve's labeled when possible

Or how bout an atlas of just stuff within 10 deg of the galactic equator? On the same scale as the Uranometria appendix charts.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: The Ardent]
      #5268805 - 06/12/12 09:58 PM

I don't think you're likely to get any of that, Ray.

There's still the Great Atlas of the Sky by Piotr Brych, though. That's a deeper atlas than the MSA, and has a lot more DSOs (alas, though, no dark nebulae). Agena Astro is the North American distributor.

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5268838 - 06/12/12 10:22 PM

I found a used copy online for 399 and offered 199 and they accepted so if you want one you might look at Amazon!

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: The Ardent]
      #5269076 - 06/13/12 06:12 AM

Quote:

I use a Millenium in the field. I like the look, layout, and depth. Here's what i want from a new edition:

Northern hemisphere edition goes to -60 dec only
Spiral bound
More overlap

Yikes, do you realize what a monster you have imagined? The Millennium Atlas is huge enough as it stands. Increasing the overlap significantly would probably increase the number of pages 50%. Spiral binding that much paper would be a nightmare; the pages would be ripping after a few nights of use unless they were made of ultraheavy stock, which would be bulky, heavy, and expensive.

And omitting the sky south of 60S would significantly reduce the atlas's appeal with barely any benefit. Less than 7% of the sky lies that far south, but it happens to be an extraordinarily important 7%.

Quote:

More DSO's, Struve's labeled when possible

That's one of the biggest obstacles. To really make Millennium worth republishing in a big way would require substantive changes, notably including all the stars in the Tycho2 catalog (roughly doubling the total) and making the DSO database more accurate and comprehensive. But those would require replotting all the pages from scratch and then proofreading them -- an overwhelmingly gigantic job. The cost would be prohibitive.

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

#5269472 - 06/13/12 12:39 PM

There is one to sale on Ebay: 952$ Ouch !!!

web page

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5269893 - 06/13/12 04:41 PM

Quote:

Is this atlas out of print? Based on forum posts it appears that there is considerable interest in this atlas.

It's funny how interest (and price) spikes on things like this when they're no longer available.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

#5269991 - 06/13/12 05:53 PM

I have a copy that my kids gave me for father's day a few (many) years ago.
Very detailed, but way over my head; not used much.

edj

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5270188 - 06/13/12 08:01 PM

It's such a thing of beauty, though. It doesn't have to be particularly useful, it's worthwhile just to have it for its own sake.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5270337 - 06/13/12 10:03 PM

Quote:

It's such a thing of beauty, though. It doesn't have to be particularly useful, it's worthwhile just to have it for its own sake.

+1

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: turtle86]
      #5270471 - 06/13/12 11:26 PM

+2

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #5270872 - 06/14/12 09:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is this atlas out of print?

Yes, and I think it's unlikely to be reprinted. The market for highly detailed atlases is modest, and it's probably shrinking rather than growing as planetarium software for computers and smart phones becomes more popular.

There has been some discussion about selling this in e-book form, which would require a much smaller investment than gearing up printing presses.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

That would make a lot more sense. I never made the jump to MSA, having stopped at U2000. That is as much bulk as I care to take out into the field. But the more I use SkySafari, the more I realize that as much as I love my my paper charts, they are obsolete.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Millennium Star Atlas [Re: okieav8r]
      #5270879 - 06/14/12 09:46 AM

It is a beautiful thing...the Physics Department where I teach astronomy has a copy. Never could bring myself to get one; I was afraid I would never use it. And I was probably right. I went "computer atlas" in the mid 90s starting with _Megastar_ and have never looked back.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Millennium Star Atlas [Re: rmollise]
      #5270935 - 06/14/12 10:24 AM

Quote:

It is a beautiful thing...the Physics Department where I teach astronomy has a copy. Never could bring myself to get one; I was afraid I would never use it. And I was probably right. I went "computer atlas" in the mid 90s starting with _Megastar_ and have never looked back.

For field use I find astro apps like Sky Safari on my iPhone handier than most paper atlases (the Pocket Sky Atlas is a notable exception), especially the seriously hefty ones like the Millennium Star Atlas. But for a bibliophile like myself at least, there really is a sheer joy to looking through the pages a beautiful atlas like the Millennium that no app can ever hope to match.

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

Re: Millennium Star Atlas [Re: pjglad]
      #5271097 - 06/14/12 11:38 AM

Great atlas! I purchased one of the paperback versions from S&T a few years ago.

...Bob
Kentucky

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
Re: Millennium Star Atlas [Re: pjglad]
      #5273547 - 06/15/12 08:39 PM

It is out of print, but even if it were reprinted I would not get it. *My* personal preference is to use the TRIATLAS made available for free by José Ramón Torres on his website (click here). He offers 5 versions/different sizes. And I'm sure that the Millennium Star Atlas is better in appearance, but I needed something for finding faint fuzzies in the field. The Pocket Sky Atlas/PSA (which I like for bright/easy stuff) and Uranometria (which didn't go deep enough and I gave away) just don't work for me and faint stuff.

The Millennium Star Atlas would also be unwieldy (big) for use, so I went with the TRIATLAS. The 25-page "A" series, printed on 11x17-inch paper (large labels and large sky areas), make my initial starhopping easier, and the 218-page "Intermediate B/C" series, printed on 8.5x11-inch paper and inserted into thin clear plastic page protectors (~$20) for finding faint stuff, seem to work for me. And I only need to take out the dozen or so B/C sheets of interest that night (the "A" series or PSA are always nearby). I even use a dry-erase marker on the protector sheets to circle/point-out what I'm looking for (in my 8-inch SCT).

So, the Millennium Star Atlas may be nice to look at, and perhaps is used in the field by some, but the TRIATLAS gives *me* the detail I need and allows me options of printing/using that the Millennium Star Atlas doesn't offer (even if it were available at a reasonable price). TRIATLAS is free and the binder of sheet protectors is very affordable by me. Computer software may also be nice, but print is my preference.

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Millennium Star Atlas [Re: JimK]
      #5275332 - 06/17/12 09:07 AM

I own both the Millenium Star Atlas and the entire C-series of the Tri-Atlas printed on A3 paper.

I actually use the MSA in the field and is very handy for star hopping, even if it is bulky and heavy. And after 10 years in the dew, it is no worse for wear, pages all intact, no issues with the binding, print still like new!

Edited by HellsKitchen (06/17/12 09:12 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10560

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics