Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: KidOrion]
      #5302709 - 07/04/12 06:11 PM

Thou art a candidate for Sky Safari. Among other miracles, Sky Safari serves as an excellent cross-index between different catalogs for plotted objects.

- Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5302928 - 07/04/12 09:21 PM

Quote:

I prefer the "binned" stars of the 1st edition. The graded stars of the 2nd ed. tend to get lost on the page for me when it gets to the fainter stars. And I don't understand why 50,000 stars had to be purged from the 2nd ed. Couldn't the positions & magnitudes have just been corrected?

All in all, though, I think both editions are worth having. The 2nd ed. lives in my observatory.

I too in this case I prefer the first edition, mostly I'm a stars observer. I like also to use GAOTS

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5302992 - 07/04/12 10:17 PM

Star observers will like the Tri-Atlas of Torres: the 3 versions have magnitude limits of 9, 11, and 13.
A warning: that last one is 571 charts.

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: JimK]
      #5303062 - 07/04/12 11:08 PM

I have looked at a download of the TRIATLAS and have carefully compared it to my Millennium Star Atlas. I find the TRIATLAS pages hard to read even in at my desk with too many object id's printed over the stars. The numerous object id's get in the way of discerning the star patterns to find an object if you are star hopping. The charts look too busy and complicated. The MSA looks less busy and easier to read, especially in the dark where I use this atlas. The one mag. gain doesn't matter much since those stars are too tiny to see on the page at night. I can't imagine using the TRIATLAS in the field at night with a red flashlight. I like my less confusing appearing Millennium Star Atlas better.

Quote:

It is out of print, but even if it were reprinted I would not get it. *My* personal preference is to use the TRIATLAS made available for free by José Ramón Torres on his website (click here). He offers 5 versions/different sizes. And I'm sure that the Millennium Star Atlas is better in appearance, but I needed something for finding faint fuzzies in the field. The Pocket Sky Atlas/PSA (which I like for bright/easy stuff) and Uranometria (which didn't go deep enough and I gave away) just don't work for me and faint stuff.

The Millennium Star Atlas would also be unwieldy (big) for use, so I went with the TRIATLAS. The 25-page "A" series, printed on 11x17-inch paper (large labels and large sky areas), make my initial starhopping easier, and the 218-page "Intermediate B/C" series, printed on 8.5x11-inch paper and inserted into thin clear plastic page protectors (~$20) for finding faint stuff, seem to work for me. And I only need to take out the dozen or so B/C sheets of interest that night (the "A" series or PSA are always nearby). I even use a dry-erase marker on the protector sheets to circle/point-out what I'm looking for (in my 8-inch SCT).

So, the Millennium Star Atlas may be nice to look at, and perhaps is used in the field by some, but the TRIATLAS gives *me* the detail I need and allows me options of printing/using that the Millennium Star Atlas doesn't offer (even if it were available at a reasonable price). TRIATLAS is free and the binder of sheet protectors is very affordable by me. Computer software may also be nice, but print is my preference.

KidOrion
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/07/07

Loc: Carbondale, IL
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5303073 - 07/04/12 11:15 PM

Jim--

I'd love to get Sky Safari. I just don't have the cash for an iPad or an iPhone. (I'll occasionally use the work iPad, but can't put any software on it.)

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: Starman1]
      #5348316 - 08/02/12 08:25 AM

Quote:

Star observers will like the Tri-Atlas of Torres: the 3 versions have magnitude limits of 9, 11, and 13.
A warning: that last one is 571 charts.

I like paper atlas. I wondering how much should it cost to print the 571 charts

Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
      #5348765 - 08/02/12 01:48 PM

I like paper atlases as well. But am really enjoying having all of Jose Torres's TriAtlases on my IPAD. I printed to PDF each of the charts for all series (A, B, and C). My IPAD (1st generation) was opening up the group charts a tad to slow. Then there is the extra scrolling needed. And time for the IPAD to vectorize the chart. So now I have 703 charts plus the A Index chart loaded up on the IPAD.

It is real simple to use in the field. Slip the IPAD into the cover which has a red film over the opening. Open iBooks. Open up the A series Index. Determine which A series chart to start with. Open that A chart up. From there determine which B or C chart to open.

I wish I could have a server so as to load up all of these individual charts. It would save everyone the hours it took me to create the individual PDFs.

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5349143 - 08/02/12 06:08 PM

Quote:

I like paper atlases as well. But am really enjoying having all of Jose Torres's TriAtlases on my IPAD. I printed to PDF each of the charts for all series (A, B, and C). My IPAD (1st generation) was opening up the group charts a tad to slow. Then there is the extra scrolling needed. And time for the IPAD to vectorize the chart. So now I have 703 charts plus the A Index chart loaded up on the IPAD.

It is real simple to use in the field. Slip the IPAD into the cover which has a red film over the opening. Open iBooks. Open up the A series Index. Determine which A series chart to start with. Open that A chart up. From there determine which B or C chart to open.

I wish I could have a server so as to load up all of these individual charts. It would save everyone the hours it took me to create the individual PDFs.

Nice idea. I wonder if it would be nicer on a kindle ? Is not ?

Dave Ittner
sage

#5351244 - 08/04/12 04:22 AM

Don't have a Kindle so can't comment. I do think screen size is important though and the IPAD would then be the best choice.

Hopefully someone has a Kindle and can load up a group of charts and report back.

drollere
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/02/10

Loc: sebastopol, california
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5357164 - 08/07/12 09:21 PM

Quote:

I framed a bunch of the charts from the Skalnate Pleso atlas, and hung them in my office at work as "art".

a friend suffered an observatory roof failure in a heavy rainstorm and his copy of the becvar was badly soaked and mildewed. he gave it up for lost. i caged it from him and salvaged 4 of the best pages, carefully mended some spots of mildew and foxing with reducing bleach, and had them framed. he chose two -- the orion taurus and the cassiopeia andromeda -- and i chose the cygnus lacerta and scorpius crux.

they are indeed works of art and, as hand cartography using printed references, robust works of science as well.

Dave Ittner
sage

Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: drollere]
      #5360460 - 08/09/12 06:32 PM

When the MSA was in print, how much did it cost to purchase it? Was shipping extra? If so, how much was that?

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5360819 - 08/09/12 10:35 PM

I bought the original hardcopy version at the intro price of (IIRC) $225. The full price was $250. I don't recall what the shipping was, but it wasn't anything outrageous.
I think the softcopy version went for $150.

Dave Ittner
sage

Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5361050 - 08/10/12 02:24 AM

Thanks, I find it interesting that folks are willing to pay ~$350+ for it.

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5361246 - 08/10/12 08:15 AM

Quote:

The heart wants what the heart wants.

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5361486 - 08/10/12 10:50 AM

But the head says, "Too expensive."

Alvan Clark
sage

Reged: 03/13/10

#5361490 - 08/10/12 10:51 AM

Quote:

When the MSA was in print, how much did it cost to purchase it? Was shipping extra? If so, how much was that?

I got my softcover version for $95 from Amazon as pre-publication price.

I got my hardcover off Ebay. I paid something like $165 for a brand new copy. When I received it, it came shipped from Sky Publishing. I guess it was dropped shipped by the seller. The person's name and price he paid was on the invoice. Don't know how they got it for that price. Maybe if you're a licensed bookseller you can buy at a discount? He didn't make any money on my purchase.

cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: Alvan Clark]
      #5361563 - 08/10/12 11:37 AM

When MSA was issued, I did not have the means to purchase but sure wanted one. I recently found one from and Amazon book seller listed for $400 but I ask if they would take $200, the original price when new and they accepted.

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5361573 - 08/10/12 11:43 AM

Nice!

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
Re: Millennium Star Atlas [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5361823 - 08/10/12 02:15 PM

I did not have funds available for mine either. I saved up for months back then. Very glad I did. It was well worth the wait.

Some years later I did purchase all 3 of the second Uranometria. Again, very glad I did.

I agree with the assessment mentioned by others regarding atlases and aperture.
For a scope near the size of my 13", the second U2K is a better match for the deeper deep sky under darker darkness.
When the circumstances of darkness, dark adaptation and aperture all align, it is pretty amazing what can be seen thru the eyepiece (any type reasonably transparent eyepiece).
If one has detailed charting.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Millennium Star Atlas [Re: rockethead26]
      #5361826 - 08/10/12 02:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Yes. I paid about $300 for a like-new copy of the hardcover version, and have never regretted it. It is one beautiful atlas.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10557

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics