Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5361833 - 08/10/12 02:19 PM

Quote:

But the head says, "Too expensive."

Someone on eBay is trying to sell a copy for $925. Both my head and heart say that at that price, that's just plain nuts.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rudra

Reged: 07/02/10

Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: turtle86]
      #5362119 - 08/10/12 05:20 PM

I came to know about the Millennium Star Atlas only about in 2007, when it was already out of print. Over the years I have collected URANOMETRIA 2nd Edition (All three volumes), got myself Herald-Bobroff AstroAtlas (original edition) and the Great Atlas Of The Sky. I do not think I really need MSA anymore. If anything else, it would just sit in my library as an "also have". No, I am not going to pay an outrageous price of $925. If the seller sells me a a price reasonably near the original purchase price ( $20), I might consider buying it but other than that, I do not really miss it that I pay close to 1K.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: Rudra]
      #5362456 - 08/10/12 09:03 PM

Quote:

I came to know about the Millennium Star Atlas only about in 2007, when it was already out of print. Over the years I have collected URANOMETRIA 2nd Edition (All three volumes), got myself Herald-Bobroff AstroAtlas (original edition) and the Great Atlas Of The Sky. I do not think I really need MSA anymore. If anything else, it would just sit in my library as an "also have". No, I am not going to pay an outrageous price of $925. If the seller sells me a a price reasonably near the original purchase price ( $20), I might consider buying it but other than that, I do not really miss it that I pay close to 1K.

I agree. I have pretty much every atlas there is to have (just after ordering the Great Atlas at the discounted price), but even I have my limits.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: turtle86]
      #5363519 - 08/11/12 03:38 PM

Yeah. Just keep your eyes peeled, and eventually a copy will present itself at a good price. It's not a "must have", but it sure is a "nice to have".

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5365304 - 08/12/12 07:44 PM

Quote:

Just keep your eyes peeled, and eventually a copy will present itself at a good price.

Rick, your optimism is truly heartwarming!

Quote:

It's not a "must have"...

My OCD and bibliomania disagrees!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: BPO]
      #5365370 - 08/12/12 08:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's not a "must have"...

My OCD and bibliomania disagrees!

Yeah, mine too... just trying to make these poor unfortunate souls feel better about things...

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5375973 - 08/19/12 01:36 PM

Astromart has a set today for $275 as opening bid

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5376420 - 08/19/12 06:55 PM

it is < $925

edj

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5382191 - 08/23/12 06:13 AM

4 days later,
no bids
2 days to go
we seem to be saying $275 is also too much

edj

Rudra

#5382386 - 08/23/12 09:45 AM

Quote:

4 days later,
no bids
2 days to go
we seem to be saying $275 is also too much

edj

That is right. Even $275 is too much, when the original hardcover price was about a little more than $200, if I am correct. As someone rightly said in these forums, let the seller put any price, it is the buyer who decides the actual value.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Rudra]
      #5382969 - 08/23/12 02:56 PM

It's still a reasonable price, if it's the hardback edition (originally $250 IIRC). Someone will snarf it, and the rest of you will be kicking yourselves for waiting.
The overlays are very good to have as well, and if you can find a copy, the Celestia 2000 CD (data on every star in the book) will round out the set.

Rudra

#5383050 - 08/23/12 03:41 PM

I just checked and it looks like hardbound version complete with the "slide in" case. I had a look at the pages and to me it just looks like Uranometria 2K, an atlas that I already have. But where are those friends, who were looking for the MSA for so many years? There is still no bid on the auction.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Rudra]
      #5383158 - 08/23/12 04:56 PM

It's sort of like the U2K on steroids. Far more detailed stellar representation and information (4x the number of stars, down to mag 11), but fewer DSOs.

The MSA, particularly the hardback version, is a 100% class act all the way. No shortcuts anywhere; it's a real, genuine quality item. I've never regretted getting it for a second, nor its peripheral products (overlays, Celestia disc).

Knowing it as I do, and assuming it's in reasonably good shape, I personally would jump all over it at $275. That's only $25 more than the original price!

(But, keep in mind that I'm a bibliophile and I love printed atlases).

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5383180 - 08/23/12 05:09 PM

Hmm.
I have both, and I always thought the Uranometria was the MSA on steroids. Though MSA has more stars, it is very shy on DSOs.
U2000.0 is far better in that regards, with over 3X as many objects plotted.
Neither atlas, or course, can hold a candle to even a very basic computer program in terms of the number of stars or DSOs,
but, as a desk atlas, I was always disappointed in the small number of objects plotted in MSA--especially given the scale and number of stars plotted.

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5383189 - 08/23/12 05:11 PM

I will never get rid of mine-because my kids gave it to me as a
father's day gift, but I have not used it very much-just tooooo
many stars

edj

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Starman1]
      #5383215 - 08/23/12 05:23 PM

Quote:

Hmm.
I have both, and I always thought the Uranometria was the MSA on steroids. Though MSA has more stars, it is very shy on DSOs.
U2000.0 is far better in that regards, with over 3X as many objects plotted.
Neither atlas, or course, can hold a candle to even a very basic computer program in terms of the number of stars or DSOs,
but, as a desk atlas, I was always disappointed in the small number of objects plotted in MSA--especially given the scale and number of stars plotted.

Well, that's a valid viewpoint too. But in the printed atlas world, they're both very important works. I certainly don't have a bad word to say about the U2K (either edition). Each of them is what they are, and each has its strong points.

I would venture, though, that you're an exception in considering 10,000 DSOs to be a serious limitation. You're one of the *very* accomplished observers here; most of us (I think) will never see 10,000 DSOs!

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5383255 - 08/23/12 05:47 PM

"most of us (I think) will never see 10,000 DSOs"

in 16 years, I would estimate that I have seen 2000 DSOs

edj

Rudra

#5383284 - 08/23/12 06:05 PM

Quote:

It's sort of like the U2K on steroids. Far more detailed stellar representation and information (4x the number of stars, down to mag 11), but fewer DSOs.

The MSA, particularly the hardback version, is a 100% class act all the way. No shortcuts anywhere; it's a real, genuine quality item. I've never regretted getting it for a second, nor its peripheral products (overlays, Celestia disc).

Knowing it as I do, and assuming it's in reasonably good shape, I personally would jump all over it at $275. That's only $25 more than the original price!

(But, keep in mind that I'm a bibliophile and I love printed atlases).

So Rick you have a plan up your sleeve to make me poorer by $275 + shipping I am trying my best not to get tempted into buying it and now your post actually forces me to reconsider my stand.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5383285 - 08/23/12 06:05 PM

I think an atlas should have more objects in it than can be seen by your telescope.
After using an 8" scope for 11 years to sytematically "see every object that can be detected", I estimate an 8" can see detect about 15,000 DSOs in dark skies.
A 12.5" (my current scope) surely doubles that and more.

So, to have an atlas that contains all the objects possible viewable in your scope, MSA doesn't even meet the requirements of an 8" scope, while U2000.0 probably is just right for 12-14".
Larger scopes would need a larger scale atlas with a lot more objects.
I was SO looking forward to the SkyGX atlas, but the author couldn't find a publisher for a 6-volume atlas.

In today's world, any computer atlas exceeds what can be seen in any amateur scope, but then you have the hassle of dealing with a computer, power, and the light pollution from a computer screen in the field. I suppose you could print select pages and take them to the field with you, but that requires a lot of pre-planning and organization and suppresses spontaneity in the field.

No, a printed atlas in the field is a great thing. But it has to allow you to identify everything you can see. If it doesn't, well then, it's not a very good atlas, is it?

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

#5383290 - 08/23/12 06:09 PM

The hardcover version of the Millennium Star Atlas is beautifully executed in every way. I wish it had the same number of DSO's as the second edition of Uranometria but must admit that 10,000 is amply sufficient for my purposes. One other big advantage of Uranometria is the Deep Sky Field Guide, a tremendous reference in its own right. As Rick said, they all have their different strong points...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10788

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics