Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5399628 - 09/02/12 01:10 PM

Great explanation.

Since I am only interested in DSO, I would not have a need for the Millenium Star Atlas, but have ordered $99 great star atlas insteas (& have Unametria already which I primarily use the blow up appendix charts).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5399711 - 09/02/12 02:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The SkyGX atlas would have been "THE ONE", but Christopher Watson was never able to find a printer.

Do you know, is that a dead issue now, or is there still a ghost of a chance a publisher will appear? Is Christopher still looking? I'd buy it too, no question.

I think it's dead.
But,it would also be OK to obtain it in a "large size" pdf version that you could print yourself.
I inquired recently how much it would cost to print the "C" atlas of Torres (571 charts), double-sided, and bind it, and it was only $120.
Now, that was 8.5x11", so that price would be more if the charts were larger, say 12.75X16.5".
[8.5"x11" charts to magnitude 13 are a little, uh, crowded. Also, a comparison with Uranometria showed U2000 had some objects not in Torres' atlas, and vice-versa. It's really hard to beat U2000 unless you print a computerized star atlas.]

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Starman1]
      #5399983 - 09/02/12 05:52 PM

Quote:

It's really hard to beat U2000 unless you print a computerized star atlas.

I agree. As a print format, the 3-volume U2000 (2nd ed.) is pretty hard to beat in the field. On the other hand, in the digital format, SkyTools 3 is hard to beat at the desk.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5399993 - 09/02/12 06:01 PM

Bob,
You'd also like Deep-Sky Planner 5. Same idea.

Rudra

Reged: 07/02/10

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Starman1]
      #5400510 - 09/03/12 02:26 AM

The Millennium Star Atlas on auction at the other web site, did not find any takers. Does this mean that interested parties are no going to pay exorbitant amount for the out of print books? Perhaps yes, as over the years other paper and software atlases have filled the void left behind by the MSA. I think it is a good sign that people are not running over each other for the MSA and that the sellers should realize that selling out of print books for "profit" is not a profitable proposition anymore. Perhaps they should sell the book either at the original MSRP or less than that, they will find someone willing to purchase them.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Rudra]
      #5400527 - 09/03/12 03:00 AM

Ahh, this is the free market, my lad! They'll charge what the market will bear. Is this the $900 copy your talking about? Nobody in their right mind would pay that unless they just had stupid amounts of cash laying around. It's not *that* good! But it's well worth the original price, or maybe a bit more.
And, if someone does have that stupid money laying around, then good for the seller and the buyer!

I'm a confirmed bibliophile and atlas lover; but I'd choke on paying $900 for an atlas!

Edit: I'd rethink that position if the SkyGX were published. I think I'd scare up the money somehow. I'm glad my wife isn't watching me type this.

Edited by Rick Woods (09/03/12 03:02 AM)

Rudra

#5400903 - 09/03/12 11:24 AM

Rick I am talking about the auction on AM site, where the start price was put at $275. I am sure no one bid for it and the auction ended without a bid.

Quote:

Edit: I'd rethink that position if the SkyGX were published. I think I'd scare up the money somehow. I'm glad my wife isn't watching me type this.

Same here Rick. That is why for the last few months I have been getting my books delivered to my office address (I do not want to face fury at home after a long day at work )and then I quietly sneak the books in my home. I think SkyGX would be worth every penny spent on it and I no doubt would loosen my purse strings to buy it, whatever the price!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5401156 - 09/03/12 02:08 PM

Quote:

Rick I am talking about the auction on AM site, where the start price was put at $275. I am sure no one bid for it and the auction ended without a bid.

That's kind of strange; if it's a hardcopy edition, that's only slightly more than the original price. If it's in good shape, it'd be a great buy. Maybe the seller has a suspicious past or something? I don't go to AM, so I don't know.

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

#5401896 - 09/03/12 09:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's kind of strange; if it's a hardcopy edition, that's only slightly more than the original price. If it's in good shape, it'd be a great buy. Maybe the seller has a suspicious past or something? I don't go to AM, so I don't know.

It's a hard copy. One book has a dented corner web page
Full adds

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5402183 - 09/04/12 12:24 AM

That's not much of a ding.
Somebody who has been pining about them being out of print ought to jump on this. Sure beats $900.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5402527 - 09/04/12 08:58 AM

Quote:

Somebody who has been pining about them being out of print ought to jump on this. Sure beats $900.

+1

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5403040 - 09/04/12 01:47 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but what did he really want for it? During the entire auction, it showed $275 as the minimum bid, and also showed that the reserve had not been met. Believe me, if I could have gotten that set for $275, I'd have walked over my own mother to do it!

Ragaisis
sage

Reged: 05/16/08

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5404558 - 09/05/12 09:42 AM

Make him the offer for $275. You never know, and it doesn't hurt to ask...

Chris

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Ragaisis]
      #5405766 - 09/05/12 11:22 PM

FWIW:

I just compared the Double Cluster on the MSA and the Great Atlas of the Sky. The GA showed more field stars; but the clusters themselves were presented better, and with more distinguishable discrete stars, on the MSA.

So see? You have to have both!

One word of warning about the hardcover MSA: Don't try to pull out a volume from the slip case by hooking your finger in the top of the book. You'll rip the paper on the binding edge. Always pull all 3 volumes part-way out by gripping the whole set, then push the ones you don't want back in.
I put a tiny tear in one volume of mine before I figured this out. It was a true brain fart, and most people probably would be smarter than to do it. But I wasn't; so there it is, for you brain-farters out there.

Somebody, buy that set. It's calling your name...

Rudra

#5406571 - 09/06/12 01:35 PM

Rick, how do MSA and H-B Astro Atlas compare with each other at the same region?

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

#5406608 - 09/06/12 01:52 PM

Rick, you've nowgot me getting impatient about the arrival of my copy of the Great Atlas of the Sky. It'll be great fun comparing the two atlases like that. I'm guessing that in general MSA will do a better job on stars and GA will be better for DSO's, at least in terms of sheer numbers. Don't ever see taking them outside, though--they're both too big and now OOP to boot.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5406721 - 09/06/12 02:59 PM

Quote:

Rick, how do MSA and H-B Astro Atlas compare with each other at the same region?

I'm looking at them now. The H-B Atlas (looking at chart C-19) has the Double Cluster. It's very crowded and cluttered, and it's difficult to distinguish one cluster from the other. The MSA is very clear and precise, with each star in each cluster individually shown down to an amazing level.

But, the MSA puts one degree of dec in a larger area than the H-B uses for 3 degrees; likewise, the space used for 6 minutes of RA is the same that the H-B uses for 20 minutes. Clutter is inevitable on the H-B, it's all so packed together.
Even H-B chart D-27, which is a closeup of the same area, doesn't have anywhere near the detail of the MSA.

The MSA and the GA are much closer to the same scale. The H-B is denser and smaller scale than even the U2000.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: turtle86]
      #5406734 - 09/06/12 03:06 PM

Quote:

Don't ever see taking them outside, though--they're both too big and now OOP to boot.

That's for sure! Be prepared - the GA is huge! Finding a place to put it may be a problem.
That's one area where the U2000 has them all beat. A reasonable amount of everything, in a managable sized package.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

#5406826 - 09/06/12 03:59 PM

It sure looks immense from the pics I've seen. Not sure where I'm going to put it just yet (I have way too many books!) but I figure that's a good problem to have.

I find the U2000 very manageable for field use. When I go to my dark site, I usually tote it along with NSOG in a plastic bin, my portable astro library.

Rudra

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: turtle86]
      #5406898 - 09/06/12 04:58 PM

Rick, thank you very much. I will look out for a [Hard Cover] copy of the MSA. If the copy is in pristine condition, a buying price of US$275 tops.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10803

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics