Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page


Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Rudra]
      #5407474 - 09/06/12 11:14 PM

Rob,
The one DSO the great atlas does not do well is dark nebulae. Other than that it is great but pretty big for field use.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GDN
sage


Reged: 04/14/11

Loc: Northern Michigan
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5407581 - 09/07/12 12:27 AM

Quote:

Rob,
The one DSO the great atlas does not do well is dark nebulae. Other than that it is great but pretty big for field use.




That's where the Barnard Atlas makes a fine companion.

The plates show many Dark Nebulae that Barnard never catalogued. Some are outlined, just not listed or give numbers.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cliff mygatt
Carpal Tunnel


Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Kitsap County, WA
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: GDN]
      #5407924 - 09/07/12 09:20 AM

I would agree with you Jerry but the second edition Uranometria does a great job with Dark nebulae and is easier used in the field. Barnards atlas is what I used with the Uranometria while at the EP.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else
*****

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5408638 - 09/07/12 03:56 PM

Quote:

Rob,
The one DSO the great atlas does not do well is dark nebulae. Other than that it is great but pretty big for field use.




Thanks for the info. Uranometria does a fine job with dark nebulae plus it looks to be much more friendly for field use. I'll have to clear off our dining table just to use the Great Atlas at home.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Millennium Star Atlas new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5413037 - 09/10/12 10:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Star observers will like the Tri-Atlas of Torres: the 3 versions have magnitude limits of 9, 11, and 13.
A warning: that last one is 571 charts.




I like paper atlas. I wondering how much should it cost to print the 571 charts




I bought the entire C-series from a fellow observer printed on heavy A3 paper for $70.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Ittner
sage
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Starman1]
      #5460515 - 10/08/12 12:11 PM

Quote:

Indeed.
Currently, only computer star charts come up to that level.
The SkyGX atlas would have been "THE ONE", but Christopher Watson was never able to find a printer.

Here is what it would have been:
Based on the Hipparcos (http://astro.estec.esa.nl/Hipparcos/) and Tycho (http://www.astro.ku.dk/%7Eerik/Tycho-2/) observations, SkyGX is a set of 3,570 charts encompassing the entire sky to about magnitude 12.0. With completeness to approximately 99% at magnitude 11.0 and 90% at magnitude 11.5—more than 2 million stars—it sets a new standard for printed star atlases. Smaller fields and greater chart scale, coupled with the use of the latest combined and revised stellar and deep-sky catalogues, has made it possible to show the whole sky with far greater veracity and uniformity than any previous printed all-sky atlas. Nearly 60,000 galaxies with visually verified aspect ratio and orientation are displayed, along with 25,000 other non-stellar objects taken from the most up-to-date and accurate datasets available.





Don, I would like to inquire if Christopher would be willing to allow us to obtain a PDF for each chart. How do I reach him?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Ittner
sage
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Ragaisis]
      #5460523 - 10/08/12 12:15 PM

Quote:

Make him the offer for $275. You never know, and it doesn't hurt to ask...

Chris




I did just that after I noticed he lives less than 20 miles from me. The atlas is as described. Glad I was able to pick it up for $275.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pollux556
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 12/14/08

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5460554 - 10/08/12 12:27 PM

Quote:



I did just that after I noticed he lives less than 20 miles from me. The atlas is as described. Glad I was able to pick it up for $275.




Nice catch, congrat !


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)
*****

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5460562 - 10/08/12 12:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Indeed.
Currently, only computer star charts come up to that level.
The SkyGX atlas would have been "THE ONE", but Christopher Watson was never able to find a printer.

Here is what it would have been:
Based on the Hipparcos (http://astro.estec.esa.nl/Hipparcos/) and Tycho (http://www.astro.ku.dk/%7Eerik/Tycho-2/) observations, SkyGX is a set of 3,570 charts encompassing the entire sky to about magnitude 12.0. With completeness to approximately 99% at magnitude 11.0 and 90% at magnitude 11.5—more than 2 million stars—it sets a new standard for printed star atlases. Smaller fields and greater chart scale, coupled with the use of the latest combined and revised stellar and deep-sky catalogues, has made it possible to show the whole sky with far greater veracity and uniformity than any previous printed all-sky atlas. Nearly 60,000 galaxies with visually verified aspect ratio and orientation are displayed, along with 25,000 other non-stellar objects taken from the most up-to-date and accurate datasets available.





Don, I would like to inquire if Christopher would be willing to allow us to obtain a PDF for each chart. How do I reach him?



This is a thread here on CN:
SkyGX
I sent him some emails several years ago, but I no longer have that computer or the email address. Sorry.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Ittner
sage
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Starman1]
      #5460648 - 10/08/12 01:21 PM

Quote:


This is a thread here on CN:
SkyGX
I sent him some emails several years ago, but I no longer have that computer or the email address. Sorry.




Thanks, I will try to reach him.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rudra
super member


Reged: 07/02/10

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5460768 - 10/08/12 02:38 PM

Quote:


I did just that after I noticed he lives less than 20 miles from me. The atlas is as described. Glad I was able to pick it up for $275.


I am glad that you were able to procure the MSA. I am happy to learn that gradually owners are slowly realizing that they cannot quote exorbitant prices of "out of print" books and make money, especially in a field like amateur astronomy. If they can get to sell at the price for what they bought it for originally, they should feel happy about it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick Woods
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Rudra]
      #5460951 - 10/08/12 04:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:


I did just that after I noticed he lives less than 20 miles from me. The atlas is as described. Glad I was able to pick it up for $275.


I am glad that you were able to procure the MSA. I am happy to learn that gradually owners are slowly realizing that they cannot quote exorbitant prices of "out of print" books and make money, especially in a field like amateur astronomy. If they can get to sell at the price for what they bought it for originally, they should feel happy about it.




I don't necessarily agree with that, at least the last part.

When the big 3-volume Becvar atlas was in print, it went for something like $15. Long after it went out of print, I bought a copy for $200 and was glad to get it. Times and prices change; someone selling something no longer available is entitled to get whatever they can for it. Remember, we all had the chance to buy them new for much less when they were still in print. You snooze, you lose.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'd pay $900 bucks for an MSA! But that's my choice; someone with more money might be glad to buy it, and both parties would walk away happy.

It's a free market, and the market will set the price. And I'm glad, too, that the price the market set for this one was reasonable.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Ittner
sage
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5461176 - 10/08/12 07:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:


This is a thread here on CN:
SkyGX
I sent him some emails several years ago, but I no longer have that computer or the email address. Sorry.




Thanks, I will try to reach him.




I can bring up that thread but it will not let me click on his nickname to bring up his profile (which should allow me to send him a PM).

It says I need to log in, and when I do it says it can't find the username/password (mine). Weird.

Not sure what is wrong or what to do next.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pollux556
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 12/14/08

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5461293 - 10/08/12 09:23 PM

Quote:

[
It's a free market, and the market will set the price. And I'm glad, too, that the price the market set for this one was reasonable.




One day we will see the Great Atlas of the Sky at 200$, 300$ or 500$ and we will say: « Hey! it was at 99$ in autumn 2012 ! »


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Ittner
sage
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5461334 - 10/08/12 09:59 PM

Perhaps so. My only hesitation of believing that could happen is how fast computers and tablets are taking over.

Plus I am starting to wonder just how many more atlases are available before the inventory runs out.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pollux556
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 12/14/08

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5461339 - 10/08/12 10:02 PM

Quote:


Plus I am starting to wonder just how many more atlases are available before the inventory runs out.




Piotr Brytch is selling is last copy.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Ittner
sage
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5461362 - 10/08/12 10:17 PM

Really? Where did you learn that?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pollux556
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 12/14/08

Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5461745 - 10/09/12 08:41 AM

At the same place as you. I also know exactly how many GAOTS was sold but since you know all that, please ignore my post.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner
*****

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5461781 - 10/09/12 09:23 AM

Someday I want to pick up the MSA for my collection.

Jason


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Ittner
sage
*****

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: Millennium Star Atlas-now on AM new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5461787 - 10/09/12 09:30 AM

Quote:

At the same place as you. I also know exactly how many GAOTS was sold but since you know all that, please ignore my post.





I don't know "exactly" how many GAOTS have been sold and I can't say for sure "exactly" how many GAOTS were available for purchase.

It was a simple question really - how do you know he is selling his last copy?

<sigh> that's okay if you don't want to answer the question it's not that important.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)


Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 10560

Jump to

CN Forums Home




Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics