Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Choice of clothing color when observing...
      #5282894 - 06/21/12 09:00 PM

For decades now I've made it a point to wear at light-colored, clean and fairly new clothing while observing in public places. My rationale for this stems from encounters with peace officers and other authorities who might be responsible for patrolling the area in which I'm set up.

When one is wearing light, or especially white-colored clothing, it has a two-fold effect at a deep level on those who encounter you:

Firstly, white, at least in Western culture, is seen as a symbol of purity and innocence, which to a degree and depending upon circumstances, imputes a certain degree of these qualities to the wearer.

Secondly, anyone intent on clandestine criminal activities at night would have white clothing dead last on their list of fashion choices, for the simple reason that it makes one stand out from the background darkness with the slightest illumination, hence facilitating detection and possible apprehension.

When observing in the warmer months, I usually wear either a pair of dark slacks or newish blue jeans, and a freshly-pressed and laundered white dress shirt... during colder months, with snow on the ground, I opt for a light-electric-blue jacket over a white sweater.

While I realize that many factors (such as one's attitude, the area one is observing in, and the circumstances surrounding one's encounter) mitigate to result in a pleasant interaction with the authorities, I feel that my choice of dress over the years has done much to assure that these meetings (of which I've had many) have turned out well in every instance.

That said, I do have a dark jacket near at hand to throw on in the event I wish to present a low profile to nefarious types, should they show up!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tejasdragon
sage

Reged: 09/08/11

Loc: Garland, Texas
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5282961 - 06/21/12 10:02 PM

Always black tshirt and black jeans, Long hair and tattoos all over. I look the same anywhere I go. At one point
in my life I was the person your mom warned you about.
Never have had a problem with a law dog unless I deserved
it.

Henry

Edited by tejasdragon (06/21/12 10:03 PM)

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: tejasdragon]
      #5282970 - 06/21/12 10:09 PM

I try not to wear any red at parks where the Crips might hang out.
For the most part I like plain neutral colors and earthy tones and always observe where there are always other amateur astronomers present when going out to dark sites.

Coolkid70

Reged: 04/19/11

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5283082 - 06/21/12 11:14 PM

I'd also like to emphasize that clothing colour definitely does affect the way passers-by perceive you, at least in a physical sense. I've done a good deal of "sidewalk astronomy" at my university. My usual spot was in a shadowy area of a large well-travelled walkway. I would usually wear a heavy black overcoat and some dark blue jeans. This combination has had me confused anywhere from a shady homeless guy to the grim reaper. My telescope has also been identified as a cannon as well as a grand piano.

Luckily (and very much to my surprise), I never once had a run-in with the campus police. When people would approach me, I would sometimes jokingly thank them for not calling!

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Coolkid70]
      #5283305 - 06/22/12 04:50 AM

The thought has never entered my mind. We do have roaming gangs of elderly walkers about but they tend to fall asleep before sunset.

Come to think of it I tend to fall asleep before sunset too. I have to get up at 3.30 AM for work....well gotta go!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: herrointment]
      #5283501 - 06/22/12 09:18 AM

Stay safe, among those elderly walkers!

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5283583 - 06/22/12 10:22 AM

What color attracts the fewest mosquitoes ?

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: BigC]
      #5283684 - 06/22/12 11:35 AM

Quote:

What color attracts the fewest mosquitoes ?

White, I believe.

The effect is minimal, but I understand that it has to do with thermal signatures... dark colors giving off the most heat, or something along those lines.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5283871 - 06/22/12 01:30 PM

I always figured if people can see me peering through the butt-end of an 11 inch SCT with a half-dozen various equipment cases scattered around they should figure out what I am doing. Every policeman I have ever encountered just wants a peek at the moon or Jupiter.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5283896 - 06/22/12 01:46 PM

My experiences might have to do with living in the generally higher population/higher crime rate Northeast... the gendarmerie tend to be a somewhat suspicious and cautious lot hereabouts (who can blame them?), although things generally defuse rapidly once the situation becomes clear to them.

I've had more than one of them tell me that having an accomplice acting as a lookout under an innocent "cover", while the other goes about their nefarious business, is a common ruse with some criminal types... for example, stargazing in the shadows of a cul-de-sac in an industrial park, in the wee hours of the morning, would fit that particular bill nicely.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5283927 - 06/22/12 02:05 PM

Quote:

Gueeze. What is behind the problem of wearing red?

ccaissie
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/13/10

Loc: Whitefield, Maine
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: GeneT]
      #5283970 - 06/22/12 02:22 PM

In our part of Maine it gets pretty dark. I find fewer people bump into me when I'm wearing white. Same goes for telescopes...white. I lost my flat black 8" one night for a few minutes.

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: ccaissie]
      #5284246 - 06/22/12 06:02 PM

As long as it has lots of pockets, I'll wear it.

jake

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: ccaissie]
      #5284252 - 06/22/12 06:04 PM

I just want to wear something to keep the bugs off, don't care about other people.

or is there something I can wear to keep away the guy that pulls up with his car, with his light glaring in my eyes and keeps them on...obviously a nob.

or something to keep the other guy from saying, "hey come look at what I have in my scope"...always bugging me from my eye piece time...to look at what he's looking at.

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: GeneT]
      #5284335 - 06/22/12 07:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gueeze. What is behind the problem of wearing red?

Wearing a sufficient amount of red clothing (it needn't be much) in gang-infested areas might lead to the gangsters called Crips mistaking you for a member of the Bloods, a rival nation-wide gang whose gang "colors" are predominately red. The reverse can also occur if you are wearing blue, the Crip's gang "colors", and members of the Bloods spot you in their "turf". Alternatively, wearing either red or blue can lead to the gang members affiliated with those colors attempting to determine if you're one of them, and asking you to "rep yo set", or represent your gang affiliation, usually via hand signals ("throwing signs") and occasionally in conjunction with other means. Failure to do so successfully can lead to violent consequences.

Obviously, choice of observing apparel matters considerably more in some areas than in others.

I must admit that schooling the forum regarding the Crips and Bloods was entirely unanticipated when I made my original post.

izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
      #5284523 - 06/22/12 10:16 PM

For public out reach and when observing in public places, so folks can see me, light colors for me too.
Light colors may work better for skeeters, and do work better for crawling insects that bite.
In my case it's a cargo pocketed unlined field jacket from a local Military Surplus store.
It is somewhat skeeter proof due to it's weave and long sleeves.

Some kind of a light colored shirt/top, and a light colored tripod or pier, work very well for sharing the night sky with others.
Additional glowing or winking lights are certainly optional, but not necessities IMHO. Strategic passive light colors are simpler.

Edited by izar187 (06/22/12 10:17 PM)

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: izar187]
      #5284691 - 06/23/12 12:44 AM

I have never seen anyone at the places I normally observer from--perhaps the lights from a distant truck, or, more likely, my wife wondering when I'm going to come to bed. A vehicle at a remote site in Wyoming at night is something most people leave alone. The owner is probably a law-abiding, if slightly odd, citizen with a dog and a gun. Red and blue clothing, gangs!? My urban/suburban education continues...

Dark skies.

Jack

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5284836 - 06/23/12 06:26 AM

Quote:

I have never seen anyone at the places I normally observer from--perhaps the lights from a distant truck, or, more likely, my wife wondering when I'm going to come to bed. A vehicle at a remote site in Wyoming at night is something most people leave alone. The owner is probably a law-abiding, if slightly odd, citizen with a dog and a gun. Red and blue clothing, gangs!? My urban/suburban education continues...

Dark skies.

Jack

Jack:

Your main concern is probably dressing to avoid the appearance of food to a hungry bear...

I have never concerned myself with what I look like when observing. There is rarely anyone around and if there is, it is almost certainly someone I know or someone I should know. My concern is for my comfort.

Jon

tecmageModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/13/10

Loc: Glenview, IL
Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5284958 - 06/23/12 09:46 AM

Dressing for Bears, Gangs and Skeeters- wow! I usually dress for comfort.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: Choice of clothing color when observing... new [Re: tecmage]
      #5285044 - 06/23/12 10:46 AM

I often wear a dark hoodie. If anyone would be foolish enough to stereotype me based on that, I would see it as their problem, not mine. If white imparts the quality of purity and innocence on the wearer in someone's mind, that's a result of their own unfortunate stereotyping and misperception. On the other hand, I'm all for avoiding the skeeters!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3115

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics