Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | >> (show all)
John59
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Round Rock,TX
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: scout72]
      #5351945 - 08/04/12 04:19 PM

Had a long session with the camera last night with the Austin Dam Astronomers (we observe at Mansfield Dam overlook) and I am completely sold on the mini version of this camera. The Swan was absolutely stunning, as we all stared at the high resolution color display. The nebulosity detail with the gas cloud shadowy folds and reflected surfaces were awesome! Globs and Clusters were bright and tight! For the 12 inch Goto Dob this camera works great! I have all my settings saved and will put together a document soon.
Next scope to use is the ES AR152 fefractor.

HOWEVER we placed this camera into a 11 inch SCT and the results were VERY Different.
Without using a focal reducer the magnification was entirely too much for the camera. The Ring was so over powered by noise that only the outer red band could be detected to know we were on target. No setting would change the noise levels.
Once we placed a .5 reducer in place it was much better but still issues with noise. However once I placed the reducer on a 1 inch extension tube everything fell into place. The image was bright and the Ring very pronounced in detail and color.
After the experience we realized that no filters were in place and the moon being pretty high by then may have been a contributor to the noise. ( not noise just sky glow being magnified as well).

As a result of the great success from last night, members of the club have already ordered their cameras today.

Clear skies everyone!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hemmi
sage

Reged: 09/08/10

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: John59]
      #5352037 - 08/04/12 05:52 PM

Quote:

Had a long session with the camera last night with the Austin Dam Astronomers (we observe at Mansfield Dam overlook) and I am completely sold on the mini version of this camera. The Swan was absolutely stunning, as we all stared at the high resolution color display. The nebulosity detail with the gas cloud shadowy folds and reflected surfaces were awesome! Globs and Clusters were bright and tight! For the 12 inch Goto Dob this camera works great! I have all my settings saved and will put together a document soon.
Next scope to use is the ES AR152 fefractor.

HOWEVER we placed this camera into a 11 inch SCT and the results were VERY Different.
Without using a focal reducer the magnification was entirely too much for the camera. The Ring was so over powered by noise that only the outer red band could be detected to know we were on target. No setting would change the noise levels.
Once we placed a .5 reducer in place it was much better but still issues with noise. However once I placed the reducer on a 1 inch extension tube everything fell into place. The image was bright and the Ring very pronounced in detail and color.
After the experience we realized that no filters were in place and the moon being pretty high by then may have been a contributor to the noise. ( not noise just sky glow being magnified as well).

As a result of the great success from last night, members of the club have already ordered their cameras today.

Clear skies everyone!

Any picture of the swan that you could post? Thanks

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: Hemmi]
      #5352158 - 08/04/12 07:20 PM

The acid test on noise levels will obtain with a target of lower surface brightness in a dark sky. A bright object under a bright sky is not ideal due to the overall high image surface brightness. Objects such as M17, M27 and M57 have quite high surface brightness already, and so will record well rather quickly. Add a bright sky, and instrumental (electronic) noise is easily supressed, unless the f/ratio is long.

John59
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Round Rock,TX
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5352196 - 08/04/12 07:41 PM

Sorry no recording. I was doing direct video hook up to flat screen. I really do not like going through a computer as the display does not look as good as direct feed. At least in my experience that has been the case with my current equipment. ( processing by capture device, processing by computer before display.)

Edited by John59 (08/04/12 07:42 PM)

darethehair

Reged: 09/11/09

#5352355 - 08/04/12 10:05 PM

Quote:

Interesting! Are they going to take advantage of that new offer to order without IR filter?

Hemmi
sage

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: darethehair]
      #5352467 - 08/04/12 11:52 PM Attachment (145 downloads)

Here are to captures from my short viewing session tonight. I had a Bad quick alignment and poor seeing, with a bright moon.

Swan

Exposure mode - HLI
Lens - electric
x64
Brightness = 9
AGC= HIGH

Edited by Hemmi (08/05/12 09:22 AM)

Hemmi
sage

#5352469 - 08/04/12 11:54 PM Attachment (134 downloads)

Lagoon

Exposure mode - HLI
Lens - electric
x128
Brightness = 9
AGC= Middle

Edited by Hemmi (08/05/12 09:18 AM)

Hemmi
sage

#5352476 - 08/04/12 11:56 PM

Last shot was soft because of dew

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Loc: Loc:
      #5352501 - 08/05/12 12:22 AM

Quote:

Sorry no recording. I was doing direct video hook up to flat screen. I really do not like going through a computer as the display does not look as good as direct feed. At least in my experience that has been the case with my current equipment. ( processing by capture device, processing by computer before display.)

You don't have to have a recording to post pictures, just take a screen shot with a P&S camera. This will certainly help to evaluate any live images taken with this camera.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5352700 - 08/05/12 07:05 AM

The RS485 adapter used by the Mallincam has a dedicated plug that Rock put onto the camera. There is no place to plug that type of connection on the Lyntech camera.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

#5352703 - 08/05/12 07:09 AM

Don't forget to post ALL of the settings you used to get those shots.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5353005 - 08/05/12 11:54 AM

Quote:

The RS485 adapter used by the Mallincam has a dedicated plug that Rock put onto the camera. There is no place to plug that type of connection on the Lyntech camera.

No, actually the RS485 adapter offered by Zenginering (who does the cables for the Mallincams) has standard DB9 in and out connectors ... there's nothing Mallincam specific about it. This RS485 adapter connects to a Mallincam control cable which has the DB9 connector at one end and the 8pin mini DIN connector on the other (which plugs into the camera). So it's the cable that has the Mallincam specific connector.

To use the Mallincam supplied RS485 adapter with the Lyntech camera you would use a small DB9 connector and create a little pigtail with two wires (for the Tx and Rx lines) that would connect to the terminal block on the Lyntech camera. You could also make these wires very long (up to 4000') if required.

The power could either come from the RS232 side or off of the +12v supplied at the camera side (this would require another pair of wires for 12v and GND) but that would be easy to do.

If someone was buying an RS485 adapter to use with the Lyntech camera it would indeed be better to get one with the small terminal block on one end instead of the second DB9 connector ... this way you could simply wire the terminal block on the camera to the terminal block on the RS485 adapter.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

#5353061 - 08/05/12 12:27 PM

I don't understand how the control cable could hook up to this camera. There is no jack to plug the control cable into the camera.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5353107 - 08/05/12 12:57 PM

Jim,

You're correct ... you can't use the Mallincam control cable itself. But if you have the Mallincam supplied RS485 adapter on it's own you could wire up your own little cable if you started with a DB9 connector ... OR if you were buying a new RS485 adapter then you'd get the model the little terminal strip on it and just wire that to the terminal strip on the camera.

Here is a picture and info on a model that has both the DB9 connectors and a small add on terminal strip connector.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

#5353312 - 08/05/12 03:01 PM

The other problem you would have is what software would control it?

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
      #5353357 - 08/05/12 03:31 PM

Quote:

Glad John you had a good session from a dark site - we respect your no recording/ sample images to post via that very neat CCTV

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 [Re: nytecam]
      #5358273 - 08/08/12 03:24 PM

Hi,
Is this still the right camera everyone is talking about here…?

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/577569401-Free-shipping-High-Resolution-1-3-SONY-960H-EXview-HAD-CCD-II-700TVL-0-0003Lux-Real-wholesalers.html

If I order one of these cameras, I believe do I need to do the following to get up and running:

1. Remove the built in IR filter
2. Buy a 1.25" nose piece (will this one work? …

http://agenaastro.com/blue-fireball-1-25-c-mount-video-camera-adapter.html

3. Buy a power supply (anyone know what type and where from?)

Is there anything else to do or aquire (besides the video cable and connector and the monitor)?

Thanks…John

Edited by John Miele (08/08/12 11:27 PM)

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 [Re: John Miele]
      #5358359 - 08/08/12 04:08 PM

That is the right camera. Your URL to Agena did not go through but they do sell them. Its the same 1.25 adapter that the Mallincam and Stellarcam uses. They can also be found at ScopeStuff. And yes, you will have to remove the IR filter unless when you purchase it, you tell them that you do not want the IR filter. They will not put it on if you request.

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5358368 - 08/08/12 04:10 PM

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks! I will ask them to leave the IR filter off then. That simplfies things quite a bit.

Do you know if it comes with a power suplly? It does not appear to from reading the ad...?...John

darethehair

Reged: 09/11/09

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 [Re: John Miele]
      #5358374 - 08/08/12 04:13 PM

Quote:

Hi,
Is this still the right camera everyone is talking about here…?

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/577569401-Free-shipping-High-Resolution-1-3-SONY-960H-EXview-HAD-CCD-II-700TVL-0-0003Lux-Real-wholesalers.html

Yes, this thread mentions two cameras with similar (but not identical) specs. The one you mentioned is the larger one (with RS485 controls). The more recent model is smaller (without RS485) and the link for it was this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/1-3-SONY-960H-EXview-HAD-CCD-II-700TVL-0-0003Lux-Real-WDR-OSD-3D-DNR/207182_583938938.html

These links appear to originate from two different companies, though perhaps they both sell the same models on different pages. For the smaller model, people (including myself) have been dealing with 'Elaine' as the contact person (Miracle Cottage International Trade Co.,Ltd). The larger model/company has a contact named 'Jock S' (Macro-Snowball International Trade Co.,Ltd).

Quote:

If I order one of these cameras, I believe do I need to do the following to get up and running:

1. Remove the built in IR filter

Yes, that is the impression that I get from reading this thread (and other places on the Net). However, if you look at one of my recent posts, you will see a great offer by 'Elaine' to avoid having the filter installed at the factory of origin -- saving the hassle/risk of doing this myself. Not sure if this is an open offer to *all* the camera models offered on her site, but it helped 'seal the deal' for me on the smaller model.

Quote:

2. Buy a 1.25" nose piece (will this one work? …

http://agenaastro.com/blue-fireball-1-25-c-mount-video-camera-adapter.html)

That link doesn't work for me, but here is another one to consider:

http://www.xagyl.com/store/home.php?cat=325

Quote:

3. Buy a power supply (anyone know what type and where from?)

Don't know about this one, except '12v with the type of tip that would be sold at RadioShack' (for the smaller camera model -- the other one needs bare wires). I am hoping that in my box of transformers/power adapters that I have one with the right configuration.

Quote:

Is there anything else to do or aquire (besides the video cable and connector and the monitor)?

Maybe an IR/UV cutoff filter? Unfortunately, I have not yet found inexpensive one. The best price I have found has terrible shipping charges ($25 for the filter, and $90 for shipping!):

http://www.optics-online.com/IRC.asp?PN=IRC30-25R

For me, I am still hunting down an appropriate CS-mount lens to attach.

Edited by darethehair (08/08/12 04:35 PM)

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37508

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics