Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)
John59
sage

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Round Rock,TX
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: John59]
      #5372400 - 08/17/12 12:12 AM

Hey everyone I found a mini DVR from China for $73. It does everything the Orion one does and theirs is $225. This is not a bashing for Orion as I have a lot of their equipment and I prefer them but $70 for a fully functional mini DVR is a whole lot less. Even better there is an outlet through Ebay that has them here in the U.S. for the same price. (it is where I got mine) It works great. I velcro'd it to the scope and the mini camera plugs directly into it. The rechargeable battery last around 4 to 5 hours. It records in AVI and does a really nice job. The screen is 2.5 inches and the entire mini DVR is not much bigger. I tested it tonight on my Orion ST-80A and the recordings were excellent and trouble free. Looks like we have another cheap but very functional option for recording video. Search Ebay for Angel Eyes DVR. Look for the best deal and a U.S. dealer. Good Luck. You will not be disappointed if you do not mind small screens.

Edited by John59 (08/17/12 12:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
      #5374253 - 08/18/12 07:20 AM

Has anyone come up with a way to control the camera settings on the computer? I have a dome camera control which uses a remote but even that is a bit of a pain. That really bright blue light is terrible. I covered it with about 4 layers of masking tape.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5374478 - 08/18/12 10:50 AM

I was doing some research on controlling it via wireless. Seems it can be done but I need to source more parts.

darethehair

Reged: 09/11/09

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5377858 - 08/20/12 03:55 PM

Got my camera today. Very tiny!

Anyways, I have a box full of various unregulated A/C-to-D/C power adapters of the right (center positive) polarity, and I am wondering how 'cautious' I need to be for picking the right one?

In their 'unregulated' state, they show up as putting out more that the 12v that I want, but I understand that they will drop to the 12v value under current draw. I also understand that I should insure that the amp rating is high enough for that camera -- but I have no idea what it is!

I hope that your advise will *not* be to go out and buy a 'regulated' power supply to avoid these issues?

Thanks for advise!

Hemmi

Reged: 09/08/10

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: darethehair]
      #5378246 - 08/20/12 07:55 PM

Quote:

Got my camera today. Very tiny!

Anyways, I have a box full of various unregulated A/C-to-D/C power adapters of the right (center positive) polarity, and I am wondering how 'cautious' I need to be for picking the right one?

In their 'unregulated' state, they show up as putting out more that the 12v that I want, but I understand that they will drop to the 12v value under current draw. I also understand that I should insure that the amp rating is high enough for that camera -- but I have no idea what it is!

I hope that your advise will *not* be to go out and buy a 'regulated' power supply to avoid these issues?

Thanks for advise!

I just use any wall wart that says 12v and have yet to have any issues on any camera I have tried.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: Hemmi]
      #5378253 - 08/20/12 07:59 PM

I agree with the last poster. Any 12v power supply would be good enough for this camera. The Mallincam REQUIRES 12v with at least a 2.5 amp because it has so much in the way of electronics but most cameras can get by with far less.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5378569 - 08/20/12 11:23 PM

Mallincam box style cameras require a 500ma power supply (they actually draw something between 300-400ma). The smaller bodied Jr. model a bit less (there's no TEC). The optional fan kit requires something like another amp or so, so a 2+ amp power supply is appropriate ... but the cameras by themselves certainly don't need anything that big.

Just grabbing any 12v wall wart in your box for the Lntech will likely work simply because these cameras require very little current. But you're taking a real chance. Unregulated power supplies can cause the camera to run warm/hot and sometimes introduce a lot of electrical noise (that can show up as video noise). If your choice of power supply is too small you may also start seeing some really strange functionality, intermittent stuff that would be really difficult to troubleshoot.

Fully regulated 12v 500ma switching power supplies are so cheap (under $10) why not just use good power?

A couple of examples ...
Aliexpress link
eBay link

Sky Captain
Metal Whisperer

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Loc: Loc:
      #5378701 - 08/21/12 01:10 AM

Quote:

I just use any wall wart that says 12v and have yet to have any issues on any camera I have tried.

Quote:

Any 12v power supply would be good enough for this camera.

NO, NO, NO!!!

Beware, some 12VDC wall warts are designed for charging applications with a much higher voltage output that's typically in the 16 to 17 volt range. (they don't all "drop" to 12VDC operation. Some are wired for strictly 12vdc operation.

I have burned up several cameras in the past thinking this same thing. It's not always well marked or marked at all for charging.

Put a meter on the output and double check before using a wall wart with your cameras!

darethehair

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: Sky Captain]
      #5378936 - 08/21/12 08:30 AM

Thanks for comments/advise re: a power supply. I actually found a 'regulated' one for me to use (who would deny the advantage of being a pack rat?). Of course, it isn't *labelled* that way, but apparently one way to find out is to measure the voltage *not* under load -- and it was around 12v. As you say, there are a lot of eBay as well. Wouldn't this one be just fine for $5?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/12V-DC-1A-High-Quality-regulated-power-supply-adapter-/320707194533?pt=US_Surveillance_Cables_Adapters_Connectors&hash=item4aaba36ea5

Ah, and I had some old C-mount lenses to try out, and sure enough they require a 'spacer' in order to work properly with cameras like this

darethehair

#5379196 - 08/21/12 11:31 AM

For all of you that have the opportunity to compare, has anyone drawn any conclusions for how well these 'lntech' cameras compare to the (similar/low-priced) SDC-435/SCB-2000, SCB-4000, etc.? Better? Worse? Same?

My assumption is that it isn't fair to compare them to the higher-end cameras i.e. Mallincam.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

#5379222 - 08/21/12 11:45 AM

With the Samsuug 2000, the only really good images come on planetary stuff. They are not good with deep sky objects. They don't bring in enough light. With the Lyntech camera, you can get the deep sky objects but the price you pay is lots of noise which can be processsed out so the Lyntech, in my opinion is better.
Jim

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5379228 - 08/21/12 11:51 AM

Mine shipped yesterday via DHL. I also ordered a reducer, a C-Mount to 1.25" adapter, an extension tube and a IR filter.

Now the wait begins..

With regards to this cameras potential. I think that if someone asks Elaine for her to contact the manufacturer and ask to be put into contact with someone who writes software for this camera, it may be possible for them to make some tweaks for us.

Also I plan to experiment with active cooling on this camera.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5379242 - 08/21/12 11:55 AM

I am not sure that cooling is the problem. This camea shows noise as soon as you turn it on and it has not even had time to heat up so I don't think its warm or hot pixels. Its just really sensitive and picks up everything in the atmosphere. The best images that I have seen were only 2 or 3 seconds long.

darethehair

#5379403 - 08/21/12 01:22 PM

Quote:

The best images that I have seen were only 2 or 3 seconds long.

So, then, the 'X1024' sens-up (over the previous limit of 'X512') is of no direct benefit for our purposes?

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

#5379518 - 08/21/12 02:48 PM

It would appear not.

John59
sage

#5379908 - 08/21/12 07:31 PM

I have had mine all the up to 1024 and with a lot of tweaking (AGC, 3DSNR, Filters, ELECT vs. DC Iris, ETC) the image was not too bad (6 inch refractor). It also really depends on your sky condition as well. The camera is much more sensitive than my SCB-2000 and I see more at lower integration times. I have struggled with the SCB-2000 at 512 for galaxies while the NTech sees them at 256 just fine.

darethehair

#5379938 - 08/21/12 07:51 PM

Quote:

I have had mine all the up to 1024 and with a lot of tweaking (AGC, 3DSNR, Filters, ELECT vs. DC Iris, ETC) the image was not too bad (6 inch refractor). It also really depends on your sky condition as well. The camera is much more sensitive than my SCB-2000 and I see more at lower integration times. I have struggled with the SCB-2000 at 512 for galaxies while the NTech sees them at 256 just fine.

It sounds like there are a lot of variables that make a comparison tricky, but it would be neat to see a 'side-by-side' sample shot of both cameras under the same sky conditions. First, the SCB-2000 would be adjusted to create the best-possible-pic, and then the Lntech-300 would be adjusted to produce the same quality (presumably, from what you have said, the integration time would be lower for the same result). The final shot would then be the Lntech-300 with its *own* best-possible-pic. This would be very interesting to see! It would answer a lot of questions e.g. at the same 'quality' setting for both, is the Lntech-300 more noisy, or does it just get that way if you crank it up?

darethehair

#5379942 - 08/21/12 07:56 PM

Quote:

Hey everyone I found a mini DVR from China for $73. It does everything the Orion one does and theirs is $225. This is not a bashing for Orion as I have a lot of their equipment and I prefer them but $70 for a fully functional mini DVR is a whole lot less. Even better there is an outlet through Ebay that has them here in the U.S. for the same price. (it is where I got mine) It works great. I velcro'd it to the scope and the mini camera plugs directly into it. The rechargeable battery last around 4 to 5 hours. It records in AVI and does a really nice job. The screen is 2.5 inches and the entire mini DVR is not much bigger. I tested it tonight on my Orion ST-80A and the recordings were excellent and trouble free. Looks like we have another cheap but very functional option for recording video. Search Ebay for Angel Eyes DVR. Look for the best deal and a U.S. dealer. Good Luck. You will not be disappointed if you do not mind small screens.

Interesting! I was no longer able to find a 'same price' for a US distributor for that device ($160 at last check). Seems like an ultra-compact way to record a video stream without using a computer and USB-based video digitizer. Any idea how the quality of the recording compares to, say, the 'Dazzle' that a lot of folks use?

John59
sage

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 [Re: darethehair]
      #5380259 - 08/21/12 11:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting! I was no longer able to find a 'same price' for a US distributor for that device ($160 at last check). Seems like an ultra-compact way to record a video stream without using a computer and USB-based video digitizer. Any idea how the quality of the recording compares to, say, the 'Dazzle' that a lot of folks use?

I went back and looked and they had sold all 17 in stock. I think once word was out they went fairly quickly. Hopefully they will get more in knowing they will sell.

John59
sage

Re: 17 sec (x1024) Camera Sony 960h Exview HAD CCD2 [Re: darethehair]
      #5380261 - 08/21/12 11:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It sounds like there are a lot of variables that make a comparison tricky, but it would be neat to see a 'side-by-side' sample shot of both cameras under the same sky conditions. First, the SCB-2000 would be adjusted to create the best-possible-pic, and then the Lntech-300 would be adjusted to produce the same quality (presumably, from what you have said, the integration time would be lower for the same result). The final shot would then be the Lntech-300 with its *own* best-possible-pic. This would be very interesting to see! It would answer a lot of questions e.g. at the same 'quality' setting for both, is the Lntech-300 more noisy, or does it just get that way if you crank it up?

My intent is to do a comparison but time and weather is against me once again.

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35727

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics