Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Astronomy Sketch of the Day ?
      #5284058 - 06/22/12 03:34 PM

Went over the ASOD to check out some posts I've missed and I am getting a Site Suspended message. Anyone else getting this?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hbanich
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/17/05

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day ? new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5284061 - 06/22/12 03:36 PM

Me too - first got that message yesterday, June 21.

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/12/04

Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day ? new [Re: hbanich]
      #5284128 - 06/22/12 04:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what's going on too. The service provider suspended the site at some point yesterday, but no reason was provided. I opened a support ticket last night to ask what the problem is, but have yet to receive an answer.

I quickly went to the ftp server and did a download-backup of all the content overnight, so nothing gets lost.

Rich Handy and I did have some conversations earlier this year about moving ASOD over to my web host to help save server costs. I hadn't gotten around to it yet, but with this bizarre behavior, I'll be moving that process up in the queue. Hopefully we'll get an answer, correct whatever the problem is, and the site goes live again asap. Worst case, I get the backed up files loaded at my server, probably some sql database nitpicking, get the domain re-mapped to point to it, and it goes live from there.

Sorry about the downtime--I really wish I knew what the issue was.

Thanks for the concern, and I'll keep you posted!

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day ? new [Re: Jeremy Perez]
      #5284399 - 06/22/12 08:08 PM

I got word from the web hosting provider that the site was suspended due to some malicious code that was found in some of the themes and plugins used by WordPress. They provided a very clear list of items affected and I was able to eliminate those. I'm now waiting for their ok and to make the site live again.

Some may recall that ASOD was hacked a year or two ago, and it looks like I missed eliminating some of the offending items. Hopefully this cleans it up more completely. Once the site is live, I will be sweeping out a lot of plugin and theme data to simplify places that could be exploited. As I do that, some page layouts on the site may goof up for a bit as I test all possible items that can be removed without harming the function of the site.

I'll still plan to get it moved over to the other server in the next few weeks and that may generate another hiccup for possibly a day or two, but hopefully not even that much.

JeanB
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/11

Loc: Montreal, Canada
      #5284516 - 06/22/12 10:10 PM

Thanks for the updates, Jeremy!

Hope to see the site live again very soon!

Jean

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day ? new [Re: JeanB]
      #5285343 - 06/23/12 01:46 PM

It's back up today.

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day ? new [Re: blb]
      #5286859 - 06/24/12 02:22 PM

Thanks very much for the support. I'm going to re-post some info here that I also posted the news section at ASOD. The site is a resource to the astronomical sketching community and I'm looking for input before I begin some server changes:

----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

You may have noticed that the site was down for about a day and a half this week. It appears that some hacked code had been added to generate spam on some of the pages. The web hosting provider noticed it and shut the site down until we cleared things out. Communicating with tech support to understand the problem was a bit on the slow side, but now that this is fixed, we’re back up and running.

However, this brings up another topic, and I am interested in your feedback. In order to save on web hosting costs, I am considering moving ASOD to the hosting provider I currently use for The Belt of Venus. This would save about $100/year and would put ASOD on a server with excellent service and very fast technical support. You would still direct your browser to ‘www.asod.info’, however, once the site loads, your browser’s address bar would re-load to say either ‘asod.perezmedia.net’ or ‘perezmedia.net/asod’. I’m interested in your feedback, and if anyone has any concerns with this approach. I’m glad to answer any questions I can and look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks for the ongoing support with sketch submissions, comments, and visits!

Jeremy Perez
for ASOD

JayinUTModerator
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
      #5287461 - 06/24/12 09:29 PM

Glad it's back and I think Jeremy that moving ASOD to where Belt of Venus is sounds like a better move all around. As far as which address, I think the one with ASOD at the front would show others they are still on ASOD since we read left to right.

Edited by JayinUT (06/25/12 01:13 AM)

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day ? new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5287480 - 06/24/12 09:43 PM

Quote:

Glad it's back and I think Jeremy that moving ASOD to where Belt of Venus is sounds like a better move all around. As far as which address, I think the one with ASOD at the front would show others they are still on ASOD sice we read left to right.

I totaly agree!

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day ? new [Re: blb]
      #5299863 - 07/02/12 09:21 PM

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for all the effort you've put into ASOD.

I think putting ASOD first in the web address is the way to go and keeps ASOD separated from your excellent (and independent) Belt of Venus website.

If costs are an issue with ASOD, I would be willing to contribute $$ to keep the site up and running for the benefit of the world-wide community that has participated in this site. I am very impressed with the depth, global scope, and talent of the contributors to ASOD.

Jeremy Perez
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Astronomy Sketch of the Day ? new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5300018 - 07/02/12 11:35 PM

Michael, and everyone, thanks very much. At first, I was trying to avoid moving the content of both sites to a third, new server. However, after more research and some testing, I found a host that should meet the needs of all the content and allow multiple domains on the same account.

Over the past few days, I moved content and databases over, did some troubleshooting, and everything was gradually made live over the weeknd. So far, so good, as far as I can tell! Please let me know if anything doesn't seem to work.

Thanks everyone for the input and offers of help. I think we're in pretty good shape now!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 950

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics