Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GMikea

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Texas
NexStar+ controller bootloader 0080 error new
      #5281052 - 06/20/12 05:22 PM

I know that I have perhaps committed a cardinal sin as a novice but felt that all would be fine according to manuals and what I read, but to the point I added the telescope plugin to Stellarium sw and connected to my new NexStar+ controller via the usb/rs232 port. The controller was talking ok up to that point. Now the controller only boots to the message 0080 error and stops. #$#$@%$$ my bad. Im not sure it can be recovered. I did open a RM to Celestron with full disclosure as to what I did. Has this happened to anyone else? I can power up on menu and info and get a hidden menu thats stable but the port doesn't proliferate and wont talk to the pc or visa versa. Im guessing plugin sw might have been for the older controller, but then again I am thinking that it should have been some basic ascii or control commands going out and thats all????
Appreciate any input.
Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: NexStar+ controller bootloader 0080 error new [Re: GMikea]
      #5281219 - 06/20/12 07:25 PM

Celestron has had some trouble with the early NexStar+ hand controllers. They will work fine for a while and then problems show up. The first thing to try is to hook up to Celestron Firmware Manager (CFM) and upgrade the HC. This will usually take care of problems. If this doesn't work you will need to get a hold of Celestron and get a replacement.

Stan

GMikea

Re: NexStar+ controller bootloader 0080 error new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5281231 - 06/20/12 07:34 PM

Thanks. the HC wont even recognize the handset so hopefully Celestron will reply to my question to them.

Mike

3snows

Reged: 06/03/12

#5281235 - 06/20/12 07:36 PM

I don't think you broke it. I've connected my NexStar+ HC to Stellarium without issue.

GMikea

Re: NexStar+ controller bootloader 0080 error new [Re: 3snows]
      #5281389 - 06/20/12 09:36 PM

Thanks - thats good to know as it lessens my potential error. I waited until the HC booted and in a command wait state, so I feel better. Now if Celestron will fix or replace my one week old controller at no charge I will be extremely happy. Perhaps others might have had this issue(I hope) for reference back to them.
Mike

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #5281854 - 06/21/12 07:17 AM

Hi GMikea:

Not sure if I understand your terminology.
Quote:

the HC wont even recognize the handset so hopefully Celestron will reply to my question to them.

Normally, we use HC to indicate the Hand Controller, which is also referred to as the handset. So I'm not sure I understand what you're using HC to mean in your statement above.

Also, in your original note you say:
Quote:

... to Stellarium sw and connected to my new NexStar+ controller via the usb/rs232 port

There is no usb port on the scope. The port on the bottom of the handset is what should be used to communicate with a PC. It is a serial connection and if your PC does not have a serial port, you'll need a usb to serial adapter. Did you connect to the bottom of the handset? If you used a usb to serial adapter, which brand did you use?

-Dan

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: NexStar+ controller bootloader 0080 error new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5281915 - 06/21/12 08:38 AM

Can anyone tell me how they like these new PLUS controllers..

Any advantages ??

Just curious .. I'm not likely to replace any of my "old" HC's

Bob G

3snows

Re: NexStar+ controller bootloader 0080 error new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5281927 - 06/21/12 08:50 AM

I've only had the +HC so can't comment. From what I can tell the Undo button is now labeled Back and there is the Celestron logo button. I don't know what that button is for.

The firmware versions are also 5.x, which oddly enough, the NexRemote software only recognizes 4.x firmware. I selected the latest firmware on the NexRemote settings page and it seemed to work fine however.

GMikea

Re: NexStar+ controller bootloader 0080 error new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5285697 - 06/23/12 05:52 PM

Sorry, I am a newbie. I have the HCupdater software on my PC. I also have or had the usb port(virtual serial) connected to the handset successfully and could remotely control movement using the NexRemote sw via the cable and port while plugged into the bottom of the handset RJ4 serial port and all was well. The virtual serial to usb cable works fine and I use the same drivers on some other Weather reporting stations with older hardware.
I fired up Stellarium with the telescope plugin module that was set to load at bootup. With the Hand Controller connected and on I loaded Stellarium and went to try and move the scope but it was not talking to the controller. I looked at the display and saw the bootloader error. So I exited Stellarium and turned off the power to the HC and back on with the same error. "Verifying packages" and then bang the error code. I then tried to talk to the controller using the HCupdater program. It would never find the Controller yet I could see the port in device manager. IF I were to hold down the info and menu button and power up I got a stable hidden screen and I could connect to the controller on my virtual usb port and the HCupdater sw would show port 1 connected but thats as far as it would go. Trying to hold the two buttons to go into transmit mode etc did nothing. I thought at worst if I could communicate then I could load the binary NIX file that I saw on one of the NexSTar sites using the updater but again I cant force it into xmit mode and if I do a cold boot of the Hand Controller then I get the error message and the PC cannot see the rs232 port via the rj4 plug.
Hope that makes more sense. APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S INPUT SO FAR.
Mike

Edited by GMikea (06/23/12 06:03 PM)

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5285800 - 06/23/12 07:22 PM

Mike,

You don't upgrade the new NexStar+ hand controller with the Celestron HC/MC updater. You need to use the new "Celestron Firmware Manager". Go to Celestrons support site and then go to downloads, then go to software and at the bottom of the list you will find; "Celestron Firmware Manager" (CFM) v.1.0.2100. This is the program you need. Download this to your computer. Hook up to the bottom of the HC. turn the power on and open the CFM program. Everything is done automatically.

Stan

Here, let me make it easier...

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=771&nav=0,7

Edited by RTLR 12 (06/23/12 07:24 PM)

GMikea

#5286017 - 06/23/12 10:19 PM

BINGO. Thanks Zeus, Hera and my hero Steve Reeves as Hercules and to you. [a little star humor]. That did the trick. Kept coming back as cannot find device so I proliferated a new port and the CFM found the device. I hit update and it loaded 10 packages into the HC and seems to be fine now. I am a bit leary of Stellarium for awhile but will work into it.. I have had an open RM into Celestron for a week now with no response from support team at all to my question. Sad but I am glad that there are guys(and gals) like you all to assist me-> I was going nuts. I was dreading sending it in for repair or replacement. Still not sure why it went south on me and gave me that error. The Celestron site and manual I got is vague or even less on the program and never mentioned the data and sw that you pointed out to me. THANKS. I hope I have seen the last of my problems.
thanks again for the rapid response
Mike

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #5286103 - 06/23/12 11:38 PM

Time and time again, I've found that the people here on this forum know a lot more about these scopes, and are a lot better at troubleshooting, than Celestron's support!

Nice catch, Stan!

-Dan

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: NexStar+ controller bootloader 0080 error [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5286209 - 06/24/12 01:42 AM

Quote:

Can anyone tell me how they like these new PLUS controllers..

Any advantages ??

I have only played with 2 or 3 of the new HC+. Did some updating and a couple of alignments on a CG-5, CGEM DX and an 8SE. (Not my mounts) The advatage over the now discontinued old style is that it processes faster (So I'm told) and eventually there will be some upgrades that were not available before. That's what the button with the Celestron logo is for. ??? Some of the 'Lists' have been 'edited' and combined. One new feature is that the display works better in cold weather.

Stan

3snows

#5286398 - 06/24/12 08:37 AM

Just my 2 cents with my new scope and +HC. I'm surprised that Celestron would release a new component without updating the documetation . The quick start guide and manual still shows the non + HC in pictures and description. Also, the NexRemote software that shipped with the scope was way outdated. You can download the latest from the Celestron website but even that version does not include the 5.x firmware that ships with the +HC. Don't get me wrong, a love my new scope, I just think the product management processes at Celestron are a little sloppy. My company would never allow products to ship like that.

GMikea

#5286495 - 06/24/12 10:31 AM

I downloaded the new NexRemote sw but it still shows the old HC icon w/o the new buttons. I have not tried to hook it up to the HC and am waiting for some more data. Now that the HC sw is restored it says Advanced GT which is not what it said when I first opened the package so I am not sure if the new CFM uploaded a different sw version that is not compatible or not? HC GEM 5.2.1.2064. Seems like it went from 4.xx to this 5 version. I tried to again connect Stellarium and it sees the scope but hitting the alt1 or ctl1 wont move it via the autoguide port. For grins I DLd the NSOL sw and it wont even see the port at all. So I am backing up 10 paces and slowing down a bit and hopefully get some guidance.
Sorry for the dumb questions and am trying now to go back thru the forums and read all the queries. I am on a self guided mission out here in the wilds of Texas but thank god for this forum and members for helping out.
Mike

GMikea

#5286526 - 06/24/12 10:49 AM

As I mentioned above my HC sw version now comes up and says Advanced GT on the main menu and has the 5.2.12064 as read from the utilities menu. Has anyone else upgraded using the CFM sw from the link above? The scope appears to function correctly from the HC and as I indicated NSOL and Stellarium wont work from the autoguide port and I am hesitant to connect to the HC port as thats what caused the bootloader to fail in the first place.
Hope someone else can chime in with any assistance to get remote working using the new + controller and updated sw.
Mike

GMikea

#5286592 - 06/24/12 11:23 AM

I just went back into Mikes NexStar site and think I found all the information I need about setting up the correct mount and HC. Its in the new section on his site and I am reading it now.

Thanks everyone for being patient.
Mike

GMikea

#5286871 - 06/24/12 02:29 PM

Okay I am good to go my bad again. On the CFM Java software at the top is a Hand Controller menuing option to select GEM or AZ. Apparently the default was GEM so it loaded that sw update into my HC and mount. No harm done. Just per Mikes comment on his site is to select the AZ.(I was trying to find that option on the HC and not the CFM sw). Works fine and I am back on the road again

Mike

GMikea

#5286898 - 06/24/12 02:44 PM

I am trying to connect via the autoguide port on the mount to use Stellarium. Is that what you are using? I see from the Celestron site that that port is used by several software loads to control motion. I have a feeling or dont know that hooking the stellarium up to the HC will work to control although you said that NexRemote still works. I just dont want to blow that bootloader out again now that I am up and running.
Mike

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: NexStar+ controller bootloader 0080 error [Re: GMikea]
      #5286910 - 06/24/12 02:54 PM

Mike,

First what scope/mount do you have?

Don't touch the autoguider port.

For simple mount control the correct interface port is the serial port on the bottom of the hand controller. The cable required is the Celestron #93920.

I would initially stay away from setting up NexRemote. Keep to simple things like basic scope control via Stellarium.

Read Mike's nexstarsite.com on PC connectivity.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3432

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics