Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Shows & Conferences

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: rtomw77]
      #5354085 - 08/06/12 01:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks Bob!

I don't do Face Book, and I could not find a direct link to the show posted here.

Tom

Maybe they fixed the link? Just saw on the first page cost of tickets ($10 for Sat, free Sunday) and a link to get your ticket in advance.

Can't wait

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gary_vecere
journeyman

Reged: 05/29/09

Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #5365397 - 08/12/12 08:29 PM

I'm located in Tucson, site of the Astronomy Expo... Anyone know if there will be any vendors selling meteorites?

AstronomicsAdministrator
Vendor if you must, AKA The Mighty Kong.

Reged: 06/07/04

Loc: Right Here
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: RAKing]
      #5372179 - 08/16/12 09:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Webcast for sure. Astronomics isn't going sell at this point, but we are there in an informational capacity.

Mike,

You are not bringing anything to sell?

Ron

Nope nothing to sell. Busy season at the office, middle of school, can't get enough people to go to sell. Going as an informational booth only with webcasts and such. I will be doing the walkthrough working on my film degree. It might make an interesting documentary. I never get to leave the booth at NEAF so it will be a different experience for me. I can discover it with the viewer at the same time.

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Gone caving]
      #5373747 - 08/17/12 07:56 PM

Living in Oklahoma, this is doable for me. I've always wanted to attend NEAF, but the amount of time away from work and the cost of getting there were outside my comfort zone. I hope to be there.

AstronomicsAdministrator

Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5373824 - 08/17/12 09:04 PM

We are hoping to convince Alan to host a show in Oklahoma. Hopefully the turnout for the grand opening will convince him it is possible.

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Astronomics]
      #5375124 - 08/18/12 07:39 PM

Going for a trifecta?

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5376101 - 08/19/12 03:11 PM

Quote:

We are hoping to convince Alan to host a show in Oklahoma. Hopefully the turnout for the grand opening will convince him it is possible.

I'll sure do my part. I'm coming to the grand opening.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5381061 - 08/22/12 01:07 PM

Quote:

I'd sure go for that Mike. See you Sep 29.

elmiko

Reged: 07/28/09

Loc: Arizona
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Skip]
      #5407988 - 09/07/12 10:12 AM

I think Me and my wife are going! Can't wait.

Gone caving
Vendor- Lunt Solar Systems, Lunt Engineering

Reged: 04/02/07

Loc: Underground... really
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Steph]
      #5425783 - 09/17/12 04:18 PM

Hello everyone here is the speaker list for the expo.....

•Astronaut Donald Pettit, Just landed after a 198 day stay on the International Space Station
•Astronaut Story Musgrave, Retired NASA astronaut
•Dr. Steele Hill, NASA Goddard SOHO
•Dr. Phil Plait, The Bad Astronomer talks about Mayan Prophecies
•Geoff Notkin, of the Science Channel “The Meteorite Men”, Meteorite Panel
•Dr. Carin Bondar, Biologist with a Twist
•Adam Block, Mt. Lemmon Sky Center
•Dr. Melissa Morris, Meteorite Panel
•Stephen Ramsden, Solar Outreach and Observing
•Dr. Pamela L Gay, Solar System Exploration from your Desktop

As well as some of the Events
•University of Arizona, mirror lab tours
•Mt Lemmon Sky Center, remote viewing
•Imaging workshop by Adam Block
•NASA exhibits JWST exhibits
*NASA Edge Television filming
•The Challenger Space Center Arizona, solar system planet program
•Kitt Peak National Observatory
*Lunar and Planetary Lab
•Digital Planetarium Shows
•Daily Solar Observing.

Proud to be hosting the Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project

More to follow....

Gone caving

#5425806 - 09/17/12 04:30 PM

Hotels in the area are very cheap with a few in the $35.00 range, We are using the Riverpark Inn, rate is $69.00 within walking distance of the convention center...520 239-2300
Ther must be 100 hotels near the center.....

Gone caving

#5425810 - 09/17/12 04:34 PM

Meteorite Panel with some of the worlds greatest rock stars

“Out of the Sky: How Meteorites Changed the World”

TOPICS:
•How does amateur/commercial meteorite hunting contribute to science?
•How do meteorite hunters and academic researchers work together to increase our knowledge of the field?
•Until the 1800s, the Roman Catholic Church denied the existence of meteorites, claiming Heaven was perfect and stones could not fall from the sky. This belief was shattered by the l’Aigle fall in France of 1803.
•What evidence is there that ancient peoples were aware of meteorites and possibly worshipped or revered them? Examples: Winona, Canyon Diablo, Henbury Craters.
•What techniques do meteorite hunters use to find these rarest of materials?
•Major impacts have PHYSICALLY changed the world. Examples: large craters, extinction events.
•How has the study of chondrules helped us understand the early days of the Solar System?
•What can meteorites tell us about the Asteroid Belt and its makeup?
•The concept of Panspermia: Do we believe life was brought to Earth, or possibly spread through the galaxy on, or in, meteorites.

SPEAKERS: (click names for Bio’s)
•Dr. Larry Lebofsky: Moderator
•Suzanne Morrison: Panelist
•Sonny Clary: Panelist
•Dr. Melissa Morris: Panelist
•Geoff Notkin: Panelist

Please visit our website for more info....
www.scienceandastronomy.com

Gone caving

#5425814 - 09/17/12 04:37 PM

And information about our imaging conference....
Imaging Workshop by Adam Block

Making Every Pixel Count Workshop

by Adam Block (see bio)
•Costs: The workshop is $875. It includes the accommodations, food and materials/content.
•Contacts: Any questions can be directed to ablock@as.arizona.edu
•Date: Tuesday, November 6th through Friday, November 9th, 2012
•Space is limited!

ORDER TICKETS $875 per person includes, 3 nights accommodation and meals.

Learn how to produce stunning images of deep sky objects from Adam Block, a renowned imager whose skill with a CCD camera continues to inspire enthusiasts around the world. His images have appeared in numerous books, magazines, websites and television programs.

The workshop covers a full range of topics, from basic image aquisition and problem solving to compressing the dynamic range of the data for the best possible aesthetic results.

Whether you are just getting started with CCD imagery or have basic skills that you would like to refine, the “Making Every Pixel Count” workshop will help you produce better images. The workshop takes place over three consecutive days.

This is a hands-on presentation and you must provide your own computer so please note the system requirements.

Your experience begins with a captivating journey to the top of Mt. Lemmon with its “sky island” environment. Once you arrive at the SkyCenter you will receive a tour of the site including a description of these historical and active observatories.

You will then check in to your accommodations on the mountain and proceed to our newly refurbished Learning Center where most of the workshop activities take place.

The Day Before the Workshop

Before making the journey up to Mt. Lemmon we will visit Steward Observatory’s Mirror Lab—where LSST’s optics are currently being created! This is a rare opportunity to see where the largest telescopic mirrors in the world are being made. Refer to the agenda to time your arrival so that you can participate in this remarkable tour.

Day 1:

You will be given a workshop package in advance of your arrival with instructions on preparations to be completed at home including the download of software so that we can get under way quickly. Tailored to the individual needs of the participants, we will begin with understanding programs such as CCDStack to facilitate basic operations including image calibration, G2V color balance, identifying and correcting common imaging problems, and the foundations of LRGB and Ha blending techniques. We will continue into the evening hours. Should it become clear after the typical thunderstorms of the afternoon, we can adjourn to our refurbished dome and our new 32-inch Schulman telescope. It would be great to take some of our own fresh data to manipulate!

Day 2:

This day builds on the first day with more in depth manipulation of example data sets. This includes management of Photoshop layers and blending techniques. By the end of the this day you will be able to confidently produce both a deep sky and planetary image from scratch in a step-by-step, consistent and repeatable method used by the top imagers in the world. Again, if the weather permits, we can observe at the telescope!

Day 3:

We will complete any remaining examples and unanswered issues in the morning. Time permitting, we will discuss object oriented processing and contrast management. After a quick lunch, we will pack up and leave the mountain.

binocsRbest

Reged: 06/27/12

Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: Steph]
      #5434855 - 09/22/12 06:14 PM

This is good stuff, how do locals get involved?

Gone caving

Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: binocsRbest]
      #5434866 - 09/22/12 06:27 PM

Please visit our website for more details...
www.scienceandastronomy.com

vpcirc
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/09/09

Loc: Merced CA
      #5435356 - 09/23/12 01:13 AM

Sadly I learned today that the Tucson show is a "for profit" event being run by one of the organizers of NEAF. Most of these training sessions for us to learn have been run by non-profit public astronomy clubs. People invest countless hours of their personal time helping to share and help us learn this difficult hobby. When Astronomy shows stop being about public awareness and AP guys helping AP guys, I certainly won't support them with attendance. Thankfully PATS and AIC remain what they've always been, a public service to those of us with a passion for this hobby.

AstronomicsAdministrator

Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo new [Re: vpcirc]
      #5439623 - 09/25/12 11:52 AM

As far as I know every show is technically for profit, star parties included. I understand the feeling, but the event site needs money, the speakers need money, and all the rest of the money hopefully will cover the expenses. If not, then it comes out of the organizers pockets. Shows like this, NEAF, RTMC, PATS, WSP, TSP, BFSP etc, all need to happen if everyone wants the hobby to grow or even keep a beating pulse. People need to get excited about astronomy, and unfortuneatly excitement costs money. Getting a gathering place for thousands of people costs money. If there is some left over, then the organizers of the show should get paid a little something for investing their time.
Cloudy Nights costs me a ton of money each year. Hopefully we make it back in sales to the community, but believe me I have given much thought to having a "donate" button on site to help cover the cost. Would the fact that it might help pay the bills, and possibly provide us with a small amount of profit to upgrade the site be a bad thing? I don't have an answer for that.

rboeAdministrator

Reged: 03/16/02

Loc: Phx, AZ
      #5439960 - 09/25/12 02:07 PM

For profit or not; if you are into a hobby and the attraction is worth your time and you want the hobby and vendors to stay for the long haul then we need to support them. Granted money does tend to ruin some hobbies; maybe some day ours will grow to a size where that would be a problem.

vpcirc
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/09/09

Loc: Merced CA
Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo [Re: rboe]
      #5440146 - 09/25/12 03:57 PM

There are shows all over and they are not for profit. Vendors help pay for the event. This is no longer about astronomy and more about making a buck by putting on a show. It has the potential to hurt local astronomy clubs who's members devote their time and efforts free of charge. Vendors cannot attend every show and will only support a limited number. If an astronomy club cannot get enough vendor support, all their efforts to promote training and outreach will be lost. I hope to inform as many folks as possible. If I see a vendor who backs out of a local club's show and attends this instead,or any other commercialized event, they will no longer have my business. I've already decided to not attend Adam's intermediate CCDStack class.

Howie Glatter
Vendor

Reged: 07/04/06

Re: 2012 Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo [Re: vpcirc]
      #5440233 - 09/25/12 04:52 PM

". . This is no longer about astronomy and more about making a buck by putting on a show."

Do you think the two are mutually exclusive?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21589

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics