Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
JoeT6571

Reged: 03/11/12

Re: Pebble Hill Observatory new [Re: rwiederrich]
      #5337486 - 07/26/12 10:04 PM

Rob

The bottom chords on my trusses are a little over 6 feet tall. With my shoes on I have about 1/2 inch clearance. I really didn't think about ordering vaulted trusses until after my trusses were built. Another mistake on my part.

The exact outside dimensions of the foundation of the observatory is 12' x 16.' The walls are 3.5 inches wide so the interior dimensions are 11' 5" x 15' 5"

I will mount my 8 inch SCT on the pier. I just made a deal on a 12.5 inch AstroSky dob that I will pick up next week. I designed the interior to accommodate a dob. I just didn't know what kind I was going to get till just this last weekend.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JoeT6571

Re: Pebble Hill Observatory new [Re: JoeT6571]
      #5339182 - 07/27/12 10:12 PM Attachment (68 downloads)

I've been busy the last two days. The roof is fully sheeted and the vented ridge cap is installed.

I put plywood under the eaves and will cover it with some decorative siding. The north wall is sided. It's starting to come together.

The big news is that I have found a dob to go into the observatory. My wife and I are leaving Monday and driving across the UP of Michigan to meet up with the seller of a 2006 AstroSky 12.5 inch dobsonian. We will camp, bike, and kayak for a week. We will end up at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in the northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan. I'm excited about the new addition for the observatory. My wife is excited that she's getting me away from the observatory for a week.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
      #5339189 - 07/27/12 10:19 PM

Congrats on the new Dob. Any pics with the roof rolled off?

Rob

JoeT6571

Re: Pebble Hill Observatory new [Re: rwiederrich]
      #5357201 - 08/07/12 09:42 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

I'm back from our trip to Michigan with my new scope. It is a 2006 Astro Sky 12.5 inch truss tube dob with Argo Navis and Stellar Cat. I have a huge learning curve ahead as this is my first dob and first goto scope. I would like your recommendations on what I should buy to collimate this scope.

JoeT6571

#5357202 - 08/07/12 09:44 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

I did a little work on the observatory installing the door, window, and trim.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
      #5357418 - 08/08/12 12:24 AM

Quote:

I did a little work on the observatory installing the door, window, and trim.

Sweet.......

Rob

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5357424 - 08/08/12 12:28 AM

What a nice job on your observatory! It looks great. You will really enjoy the views thru that new scope also!

A big congratulations of both!

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: just outside of Toronto
Re: Pebble Hill Observatory new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5357728 - 08/08/12 09:40 AM

What a nice looking observatory! Enjoy it. I'm sure the new scope will help a lot too..

Edited by tjay (08/08/12 09:40 AM)

JoeT6571

Re: Pebble Hill Observatory new [Re: tjay]
      #5372161 - 08/16/12 09:08 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

This has been quite a learning experience for me. I was nervous about installing soffits under the eaves and gables, but they turned out to be very easy. I started by installing gussets under the eaves to hold the frieze starter. The frieze starter is simply a metal strip that holds one end of the soffit. The other end is held up by the facia trim. After looking at a few metal buildings, it is easy to see how it all fits together. The end result looks pretty nice.

JoeT6571

#5372162 - 08/16/12 09:11 PM Attachment (38 downloads)

My wife bought me some decorative siding to go under the gable ends. Unfortunately it was cement board. If anyone tries to sell you cement board, RUN AWAY! You have to buy special blades for your saws, it cuts like *BLEEP*, it requires drilling holes before you can install a screw, it is just miserable material. I installed one course and then gave up. It is going back to the lumber yard.

Here is the gable end siding I finally installed. It is a fiber board product and went up with no problems.

JoeT6571

#5372167 - 08/16/12 09:13 PM Attachment (36 downloads)

I also framed up and sided the garden shed. It looks amazingly like a warm room. What do you think my wife would think of that idea?

theflop

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: Ortonville, MI
      #5372463 - 08/17/12 01:16 AM

Awesome. I took am putting metal on my roof. I have never installed metal roofing before. Can you provide more info like brand, supplier and installation? Thanks.

JoeT6571

Re: Pebble Hill Observatory new [Re: theflop]
      #5372610 - 08/17/12 06:11 AM

I bought all my metal at Menards. They have a free booklet called "Helpful Hints for Residential Steel Roofing" that describes what you need to buy and installation instructions.

I know I was warned, but I went ahead and installed a bare metal roof to save weight. I now know that even with good ventilation I will have a moisture problem that I will have to fix after the fact. There needs to be some kind of barrier between the metal roof and the interior. Most people install plywood and roofing felt under their metal. I didn't, and now I have to solve the problem.

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #5373618 - 08/17/12 06:06 PM

Get a spray foam kit and foam it, will help with temp control too.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: Pebble Hill Observatory new [Re: theflop]
      #5373678 - 08/17/12 06:54 PM

Quote:

Awesome. I took am putting metal on my roof. I have never installed metal roofing before. Can you provide more info like brand, supplier and installation? Thanks.

If you have built your roof carefully, and all the purlins (the strips that go side-to-side) are straight, and parralel to the top and bottom edge of the roof framing, you can pre-drill your metal for the roof screws. Remember that you will need to drill the two sides seperately, to account for overlap direction (the full edge tab points toward the prevailing wind, the 2/3 edge overlaps, and points away.
You might want to first bring a narrow board up onto the roof, pretend it is your roof panel, work out the bottom edge overhang, and mark the centers of the purlins to lay out your screw holes. Each 8" flat gets one screw in the center of the last 1 1/2" mini-flat on the side toward the 2/3 overlap edge. The last sheet also gets a row along the outer edge.
Fabrall is one roofing manufacturer that, if pre-ordered, will cut your roof panels to the nearest inch dimension. Ask your local lumber yard (not the big-box) what brand they carry, and if it can be precut. Fabrall, as an example, comes in about 18 colors, including two whites and several beige/sand colors, as well as light grey.
Hope this helps, don't hesitate to ask questions (I'm a carpenter, it's about a week since I finished my last metal barn roof installation....)
Russ

JoeT6571

Re: Pebble Hill Observatory new [Re: roscoe]
      #5380611 - 08/22/12 08:00 AM Attachment (31 downloads)

The exterior is mostly done except for the painting and landscaping

JoeT6571

#5380614 - 08/22/12 08:02 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

I bought my door and windows at the local Habitat for Humanity Restore. This is a great place to buy cheap building supplies. Here is the interior of the garden shed.

JoeT6571

#5380619 - 08/22/12 08:05 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

I have installed my SCT on the pier but need to do all the interior work including wiring for electric and bringing in the furniture. The new dob will go in soon.

First light was actually the end of June. As soon as I put the floor on the joists, I set up my scope on a tripod and observed on the deck. The scope has been in and out of the observatory since then during the construction phase. It's is now semipermanent and I will only move it out when I start drilling holes to run the electrical wires. Just too much sawdust flying around to keep it there.

JoeT6571

#5380628 - 08/22/12 08:10 AM Attachment (26 downloads)

Here is a view of the exterior of the garden shed. If I ever decide to make it a warm room, I will close off the exterior garden shed door, and cut a new door between the rooms.

JoeT6571

#5493641 - 10/28/12 08:18 PM

I've done quite a bit of work on the observatory since my last post. I dug a trench 110 feet from the house to the observatory and laid 10-3 underground wire for electricity. I installed and wired nine duplex receptacles and three light fixtures putting in two circuits each with their own GFI protection. Two duplex receptacles were boxed in on the floor for protection next to each scope.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7628

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics