Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Gemini II modeling versus MaxPoint
      #5299352 - 07/02/12 04:02 PM

First off, sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this. I wasn't too sure since it covers both a mount and software related specifically to controlling a mount.

I have been looking at the Gemini II modeling procedure and I do find it cumbersome. So I was thinking has anybody who owns a Gemini II tried Maxpoint? Does it add any value to a mount that already has built in modeling capabilities?

Is there any script out there that can be installed in MaximDL to achieve the same thing using the Gemini II built in modeling capabilities, but without user intervention the same way maxpoint does it? You know, a script to take a picture plate solve, sync (with driver set to add to model with each sync), then script picks new target in a different part of the sky and repeats the process.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
akoroves

Reged: 09/05/11

Re: Gemini II modeling versus MaxPoint new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5540630 - 11/26/12 04:36 PM

Did you figure out if you could take a picture and plate solve to align your scope using gemini 2?

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Gemini II modeling versus MaxPoint new [Re: akoroves]
      #5540940 - 11/26/12 08:04 PM

Maxpoint will make it better; I haven't used it with a G2 but I have used it with a CGEM. It was very accurate. However, you're using MaximDL right? Just utilize Pinpoint and astrometric solving to center your objects. It's defined how to do this in the manual and it's very accurate. Better than any modeling will ever be since it's using truth data.

GL,
Chris

pfile
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/14/09

Re: Gemini II modeling versus MaxPoint new [Re: Raginar]
      #5541078 - 11/26/12 09:26 PM

i have been using AstroTortilla to accomplish this, and it does work, but after a while the G2 goes crazy and its pointing model becomes insane. in fact i just posted a question about this on the Gemini-II mailing list. as far as i know AT is only doing "SYNC" commands but apparently the G2 does not like this.

other than that though, it's great. cold start, slew the mount, take a picture, solve, sync, slew... the object is in the field. iterate one more time and the object is dead in the center of the chip.

Edited by pfile (11/26/12 09:27 PM)

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: Gemini II modeling versus MaxPoint new [Re: pfile]
      #5541250 - 11/26/12 11:00 PM

Astrotortilla? What's that Pfile?

pfile
Post Laureate

#5541411 - 11/27/12 12:43 AM

astrotortilla is a wrapper (get it?) around astrometry.net's blind solver, with an ASCOM interface. i've never used pinpoint or maxpoint or that stuff, but i think it's similar.

it can control some cameras, so you point your scope somewhere and have it take a picture, then solve it, and then it can tell the mount where it's pointing with the SYNC command. if it can't control your camera, you can always point it at an image with the File Open dialog box.

the best part of it is that it's got a pre-compiled version of astrometry.net's tools. it's a little hard to compile on windows, so it's great to have something that will just install it.

the only downside is that you have to request the "index" files from the astrometry.net guys. and the index files are huge (the index files contain all the stars). having said that, they have apparently just finished making new index files that are freely downloadable. i have not yet given them a try though.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#5541880 - 11/27/12 11:11 AM

Interesting. Sounds like a great product Are you using it with Nebulosity or APT?

pfile
Post Laureate

#5541925 - 11/27/12 11:38 AM

actually, neither - equinox image right now (new STT-8300M against a macbook air)

Raginar
Post Laureate

#5542569 - 11/27/12 06:08 PM

Cool. You still using PI? I was reading some posts on there from you.

pfile
Post Laureate

#5542739 - 11/27/12 08:04 PM

yep, i am a diehard PI user

Raginar
Post Laureate

#5542956 - 11/27/12 10:19 PM

I'm slowly learning.. just figured out tonight that you're supposed to process your L and RGB seperately and recombine later.

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1048

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics