Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | >> (show all)
neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5356427 - 08/07/12 12:40 PM

Kevin,
To make sure were talking about the same thing on page 10 of the manual item #26 is the latitude lock. One on each side, both are supposed to tighten up. On my mount the one on the west side spins, and the east one shown in the manual does tighten up. So standing in front of the mount my right bolt spins, the opposite one of yours. I believe they say latitude instead of altitude in the manual.
By the way they didn't put the "N" on my mount.
A problem with mine is the Latitude drive #25 turns too easy all the time because one latitude lock doesn't tighten up.
I hope I didn't confuse things more.
My azimuth was moving when my telescope was slewing so I did the azimuth lock knob repair shown in LX80 group photo section under "LX80 base", I believe it came from this thread. Now my azimuth locks good and doesn't move.
I keep the latitude(altitude) pivot point #27 bolt tight to keep it from moving but it would be better to have both locks tightening up. Another thing I complained to Meade about.
neilson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: deSitter]
      #5356438 - 08/07/12 12:50 PM

When it gets to asking about using different autostar sets, maybe this would have a better home on the Meade LX... forum.

It looks like we're getting to the end of general expertise on this one.

-Rich

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: deSitter]
      #5356475 - 08/07/12 01:18 PM

Ya gota love it!
Good one.

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/30/10

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5356831 - 08/07/12 05:48 PM

Gday Kev

Quote:

Has anyone tried pulse guiding with a old 497 HC on the Lx80 I know the tracking rate would have to be changed

That would be a fun test
You dont adjust tracking rate tho,
you would have to select an LXD75 model, ( to get GEM mode )
then adjust the ratios ( to get correct gotos and base track rates )
and set the max slew limit ( clash detection ).
After that, it probably would work.
If the tracking reverted to 1/2 rate again, its another indicator of something different in the motor cards.
( I still suspect that there is something different in the cards )

Andrew

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5356861 - 08/07/12 06:12 PM

Gday David

Quote:

Hmmmmm "Crash Test Dummy"

Yup ! That's Me !!!

Just go here and get some bits first,
http://www.zazzle.com.au/crash+test+dummy+stickers
and i will PM you the patch later today.

Andrew

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5356894 - 08/07/12 06:32 PM

Neilson

Yes we are talking about the same thing and I called them Altitude due to years of visual working with Dobsonian telescope. you are correct the manual calls them Latitude locks. no matter what you call them they are not working correctly The locks on mine are just the opposite of yours Neilson the east lock spins and the west lock gets tight When I told Meade about the problem 8/6/12 they acted as if this was the first time anyone has said anything about having any problem with the locks, but in my last conservation with Meade on 7/17/12 it was one of the problems that was noted. I guess i need to start a video blog so Meade can see the problem, A picture is worth a 1000 words so Video showing the problem no mistakes on terminology. sorry about the confusion posting here after work all tired dosen't help.

Summary

Latitude Locks on Lx80

mine, west lock gets tight east lock just spins

Neilson, East lock gets tight west lock just spins

Edited by TALK2KEV (08/07/12 06:44 PM)

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: OzAndrewJ]
      #5356902 - 08/07/12 06:41 PM

Quote:

I think I have patched the firmware to allow itÖ/-/Öbut not sure how good it will work.

Gday Andrew. Problem I see with such one-off patch updates is that Meade customers at large (the ones who donít frequent CN) will be left out of it (as Mr. JMiele said as well). Is there a way you could work with Meade and may be post such experimental updates there? I feel such a distributed approach further undermines Meade (though unintentionally) and this product. If LX80 needs to have ALT/AZ guiding, Meade needs to own up to it.

Plus ALT/AZ guiding is not mainstream; what really needs to happen is someone doing decent EQ guiding (5min and longer) and posting some real images (subs or combined) to look at.

I feel PEC was just lost in translation on the other and this very long thread. If PEC is really broken then Meade either needs to provide a fix or issue an official response. A lot is riding on successful, extended (5min+), full-load, guiding of LX80 in EQ mode, may be the fate of the entire company (after LX800 demise). Folks who arenít setup for EQ guiding, due to any reason, need to take a back seat in favor of folks who are equipped with EQ testing.

Aluminum cast fracture is something needs a redesign, possibly with machine aluminum (as Mr. Blueman suggested) or steal. Not sure if this equates to a recall of the mount? I doubt middle spreader (tweak) or bottom spreader (redesign) are the answers. Astronomers use very expensive payload these days which canít be risked with this mount as-is.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: mmalik]
      #5356914 - 08/07/12 06:47 PM

[quote Astronomers use very expensive payload these days which canít be risked with this mount as-is.

+1

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/27/08

Loc: Westminster, CO
      #5356935 - 08/07/12 06:59 PM

Quote:

I feel PEC was just lost in translation on the other and this very long thread. If PEC is really broken then Meade either needs to provide a fix or issue an official response. A lot is riding on the successful, extended (5min+), full-load, guiding of LX80 in EQ mode; may be the fate of the entire company (after LX800 demise).

There is no LX800 demise, and as a likely future customer of this mount, I have exactly zero interest in ever using it guided for long exposure long focal length astrophotography. Nothing you're talking about has anything to do with the important features or performance of this mount for my uses for it. So please quit talking like you're speaking for everyone when you're not a customer and not going to be a customer, but are just here to bash Meade in violation of the rules.

astroRoy
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/09/11

Loc: Southern Oregon
Re: LX80 RA Tracking *DELETED* new [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5356949 - 08/07/12 07:07 PM

Post deleted by David Pavlich

OzAndrewJ
scholastic sledgehammer

#5356974 - 08/07/12 07:19 PM

Gday Mr Malik

Quote:

Gday Andrew. Problem I see with such one-off patch updates is that Meade customers at large (the ones who donít frequent CN) will be left out of it

Not true. I have never posted any patches here ( ie on CN ).
All patching ( which was started by Dick Seymour and has been going for years )
has normally been posted via Mike Weasners site, the StarPatch site or the relevant Yahoo forums, where there are far more Meade users.

Quote:

If LX80 needs to have ALT/AZ guiding, Meade needs to own up to it.

And they would just tell you it "can" be guided, just not "pulse guided"
You seem to be like a dog without a bone on this topic.
Its simple.
David wishes to try altaz pulseguiding, so i will assist him.
I have advised him of the pitfalls i see in the process.
Unless the code is completely rewritten,
i dont think it will work in all regions,
but it should work in many. His call.

Quote:

Plus ALT/AZ guiding is not mainstream

And for MANY people who buy scopes with 497/Audiostar controllers,
"guiding" is not mainstream.
I guess Meade design to suit their major market

Quote:

If PEC is really broken then Meade either needs to provide a fix or issue an official response.

It is, and i agree

Quote:

I doubt middle spreader (tweak) or bottom spreader (redesign) are the answers.

I agree an upper spreader tweak isnt the answer, but the lower spreader ( if done correctly ) would remove all the bending moment from the top joint.

Andrew

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: LX80 RA Tracking *DELETED* new [Re: astroRoy]
      #5357144 - 08/07/12 09:12 PM

astroRoy
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/09/11

Loc: Southern Oregon
Re: LX80 RA Tracking *DELETED* new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5357176 - 08/07/12 09:25 PM

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: astroRoy]
      #5357359 - 08/07/12 11:33 PM

Sounds like I need to have the stress points on the LX80 tripod welded for extra strength when my warranty expires next May.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

#5357386 - 08/07/12 11:55 PM

Was it me you were looking for Roy? Because if you got that wrong, perhaps I need to make my point again.

Best, Joe

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/13/05

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: brokenwave]
      #5357396 - 08/08/12 12:03 AM

Quote:

Sounds like I need to have the stress points on the LX80 tripod welded for extra strength when my warranty expires next May.

As of yet there is no proof for the need for that. And as I attempted to point out last night the "design flaw" mantra, in this instance anyway, is also jumping the gun.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#5357411 - 08/08/12 12:15 AM

Hi guys,
I left my new 10"ota(29lbs) in the cold a/c for a couple days to harden the focuser grease that was causing extreme mirror flop. I found the mirror flop still unacceptable but It was now useable. I had to make sure balance and level were perfect.
Getting a good polar alignment was difficult but I was able to. I slewed to different targets and half were in my 26mm eyepiece and half were just out of view. I tried different alignment stars then slewing to targets but the results were the same. I noticed Vega was strait up but way out of my eyepiece every try. When I got good results with my 23lbs AR152mm refractor the other day, Vega was way out of the eyepiece too. It seem the mount has more difficulty handling the weight in RA. but DEC seems ok.
In my opinion my LX80 will handle 29lbs for visual use ok if your willing to adjust some targets but forget 40lbs for anything using polar mode.calm night. My Lxd75 was a little better with 29lbs.
I think it will handle my 23lbs refractor fine for visual. I haven't tested yet but Its probably going to handle the refractor for AP fine.
Remember I had to tweek it to handle these weights but others might not have to. I could probably tweek it for more weight if the brass ring gear was perfectly round(no high spots).
It would be nice to have another mount tested in polar with a 10" or 11" ota.
I will try to guide with my refractor in polar tomorrow. I tried a little with the 10" before and it seemed ok but the star would jump out of the box every once in a while, then come back. As a guess the spring loaded wormblock might cause it, or not.
I will have to stick with Alt/Az or duel modes for the 10"ota my mount came with.
neilson

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: neilson]
      #5357770 - 08/08/12 10:09 AM

Neilson
Did you take and photos of your LX80 gear fix?

You said something that caught my attention You said "the star would jump out of the box them come back" I have seen this as well its happen only a few times. David said I should try single OTA I had another set of ring so put my AT72mm FL 430mm with the DSI only hit the scales at 10 lbs with camera and all. during the run I was watching the screen with PHD I had the coarse grid on the screen and was doing unguided run the star drifted east one and half boxes then back to center, it was a big jump.
I hope you have some good results to share when you try to guide.

Andrew
I will try to guide with my old HC set to LX75 /GEM and change the ratio. Its been cloudy here so soon as the weather breaks I'll give it a go.

Neilson
Did Meade ever send you your OTA handle and labels?

David
Have you received your part from Meade?

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
Re: LX80 RA Tracking [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5357867 - 08/08/12 11:31 AM

Hi Kevin...

I am in the middle of a shipping snafu. Bottom line, it should be here tomorrow. Agrrrrrr. But I learned long ago (am 67 now) that there is no point in getting mad or upset about things i can't control, or do myself. At least not for long. I just have to work around the problem (issue). In this case, i just have to wait. The brown UPS truck will find me.... I have faith.

I am actually glad you have seen the "jump".
How long did you stay "watching" with the lighter OTA??
Other than the "jump and recover", how did it look ??
Did you see the "jump and recover" more than once, and if so, about how long between... I am thinking mine was around 15 min or so, but need a constant log to verify (which i will have soon).

And since i am on here, and you and Neilson are reading/speaking ---- on my mount, both of the "altitude" locking bolts tighten on mine.... no issues there.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Re: LX80 RA Tracking [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5357991 - 08/08/12 12:54 PM

What keeps you guys fighting issues on this thing, anyway? I mean, I don't care who it came from, there's no way I'd nurse any product this way. One of these would have been the last straw, long ago. At this point, I'm just amazed by this. I can't think of a product launch riddled with so many faults combinded with users who were willing to keep playing with it.

I just ticked off where this saga has been to, and my eyebrows are way up there, now. There seems to be so little this product can be relied on to do correctly, I just have trouble seeing why folks keep moving on with it.

-Rich

Edited by Starhawk (08/08/12 01:17 PM)

Pages: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 67996

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics