Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | >> (show all)
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: TALK2KEV]
      #5369769 - 08/15/12 09:43 AM

So if you want to photograph from an economy mount, get a CG-5.

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Texas

Reged: 01/14/08

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: neilson]
      #5369826 - 08/15/12 10:18 AM

At this point, knowing what you know and experiencing what you have experienced, would you return it for a refund if you could??
Please - only responses from folks who actually OWN an LX80.
TIA

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: Texas]
      #5369856 - 08/15/12 10:34 AM

Not at this point. If the new one handles the 10"ota in polar fine then I would NOT return it. But if it can't then yes. I bought it with a 10"ota and if it cant handle it then its useless to me. I'm sure that it will though. Carlos at Meade is making sure that my new one does before he ships it to me.
neilson

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
      #5369955 - 08/15/12 11:36 AM

There are only 3 active LX80 owners who have been posting here. I know of a couple other LX80 owners, who are monitoring all this... but have not been doing tests.

Two of the 3 owners/testers have posted just above. I am the third. And i think everyone should know how i feel.

But to be clear. No... i would not return mine.
However, i may very well change my operational mode to Polar, and see if i can find a good spotter type, light weight guide OTA.

I am currently looking at the Orion Mini 50mm Guide Scope from OPT.
http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=16696&kw=8891&st=3
It can use various cameras, including the DSI series.

Tanchistu

Reged: 01/04/12

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: Texas]
      #5369971 - 08/15/12 11:47 AM

Quote:

At this point, knowing what you know and experiencing what you have experienced, would you return it for a refund if you could??
Please - only responses from folks who actually OWN an LX80.
TIA

I have the same question, I am waiting for LX80 to ship from OPT, I bought it with when it was still $800.

How is it comparing with: Celestron CG-5GT, iOptron SmartStar PR, Orion SkyView Pro. The specifications and price are close to LX80. I have followed closely this thread, but I still can't decide if this is a good investment or not.

How is it comparing to the other mounts that you have owned (from the shortlist or not) in terms of payload capacity and performance.

Thank you.

@dmdouglass: haven't seen your reply when I posted this

Edited by Tanchistu (08/15/12 11:54 AM)

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: Tanchistu]
      #5370004 - 08/15/12 12:03 PM

Nope keeping mine, Better than the LXD75 I am borrowing.
In October when it cools off here in AZ, I will compare my LX80 to the LXD-75 and a newer CGEM and report what I have discovered. Again, later in October.

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

#5370053 - 08/15/12 12:30 PM

I have great news. I just got off the phone with Carlos at Meade, he told me that they set up my new lx80 mount with a 10"ota and it worked great. There were no problems. I am so relieved and happy. He is sending me that new tested LX80 mount and tripod. I already have everything packed up and am waiting for UPS to take this one back today. Apparently I did have a one of a kind defect. I asked him if they sell Meade logo stickers and he said they normally don't because some guys build their own scopes and want to label them as Meade telescopes,and they were out anyways. And on the handle, their not going to put them on the 10"otas but he'll send me one.
I am very happy today and after UPS takes their 7 days to get it here the weather is showing just a 20% chance of storms, hopefully it will be clear. I will try it out when I get it and let everyone know how it works out. Meanwhile I can see how my LXD75 handles this 10"ota.
Again I want to thank Carlos the customer service manager at Meade for going to all this trouble of checking one out before he sends it to make sure it could handle the 10"ota and for replacing everything right away. And I want to thank Craig, owner of OPT for getting the ball rolling for me.
And no I would not return it.
neilson

exparrot

Reged: 02/13/12

Loc: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
      #5370160 - 08/15/12 01:37 PM

I'm keeping mine. It handles all my scopes individually, and in any combination for dual-OTA mode, without any signs of stress. Balancing and alignment are a cinch in either mode. Looks like Meade is working to address all issues brought to their attention and making an effort to stay on top of things the best they can. The owners doing AP seem to be happier with their testing, so that makes me feel good about taking on AP some day. Yep, I think I'll keep it.

Jerry

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5370217 - 08/15/12 02:20 PM

David,

Could you please edit your post above (16 back or so) and shorten the URL (perhaps use the URL instant BBB code in the preview screen) or one of the external services like TinyURL. It would make reading all the subsequent posts much easier (no horizontal scrolling).

Thanks

TALK2KEV
sage

Reged: 03/08/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: exparrot]
      #5370272 - 08/15/12 03:10 PM

I order mine in Sept of 2011 and waited until July of 2012 to get one. I like the fit and finish of this mount and it's night and day easier to set up in Gem I still have a few problems to work through but I'm happy to see Meade stepping up and getting Neilson and David fixed up, its a step in the right direction. One of my biggest problems is the way Meade customer service is handling things, If you tell me your going to call me back then do so!It's like having a mad girlfriend you don't know why but she not talking to you. I have called Meade many times each saying they get back with me but only Once did someone from Meade call me and that was Laura. The other thing that customer service needs to do is keep good notes I hate repeating the same problem over and over each time they act as if this was the first time they heard of the problem. how hard is it to log in a customer by the phone number so no matter who answers the phone they can look up in detail your last reported problem and they would be up to speed. That's the human side of Meade that needs work. As far as the mount it has a few issues and if I believed that
Meade wasn't trying to solve the problems I would send the mount back. but with that said if you are a visual observer the mount will work as is. but if you are wanting to do AP and do long subs there are some issue to work out.I do think they will be solved. As for other mounts just read though CN threads you see all different manufactures the end user having some kind of issue. Some are first time user and trying to get around the learning curve.One high dollar mount was showing how much play the mount had on You tube. The point is your not going to find of of the box perfect.
I'll keep mine as well!

TALK2KEV
sage

#5370325 - 08/15/12 03:51 PM

David

Guide scope It says its great for long FL OTA? but its fl is 162mm with DSI pro 2 you would be around 10.5 arc sec a pixel now I just bought celestrons new neximage 5 I haven't done a full test on guiding yet. they say metaguide will guide with that camera the camera is very small and light in fact I have EP that are heavier. it would have a 2.8 arc sec per pixel. There has to be a formula on FL of your main OTA to FL of your guide scope. Or Arc sec a pixel on Main OTA to Arc sec a pixel with your guide scope. I know Ideal for your main camera to OTA is as close to 2 arc sec a pixel as possible.

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5370384 - 08/15/12 04:43 PM

Quote:

I was able to take a long 5min photo that was usable I would like to use a long FL

Thanks; nice pic but that's very wide FOV. Not sure if you have the needed setup for a narrow FOV of a specific DSO?

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: mmalik]
      #5370564 - 08/15/12 07:00 PM

mmalik

yes the ultra wide field lens 8mm f 5.6 was use last weekend in piggy back configuration the photo shown was one 5 min sub of 39 taken that night still working on the stack , I will try to take a long exposure when the weather breaks
I did the fish-eye lens as bad joke but I did use the mount.

gmartin02
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
      #5370668 - 08/15/12 08:36 PM

Quote:

David

Guide scope It says its great for long FL OTA? but its fl is 162mm with DSI pro 2 you would be around 10.5 arc sec a pixel now I just bought celestrons new neximage 5 I haven't done a full test on guiding yet. they say metaguide will guide with that camera the camera is very small and light in fact I have EP that are heavier. it would have a 2.8 arc sec per pixel. There has to be a formula on FL of your main OTA to FL of your guide scope. Or Arc sec a pixel on Main OTA to Arc sec a pixel with your guide scope. I know Ideal for your main camera to OTA is as close to 2 arc sec a pixel as possible.

The old formula for manual guiding was to have a guide scope at least half the focal length of the imaging OTA - for computer controlled auto guiding that rule no longer applies.

Read the "Guide Scopes and
Off-Axis Guiders" section of this document written by Craig Stark - creator of PHD: http://www.stark-labs.com/craig/articles/assets/AutoGuiding%20Craig%20Stark.pdf

Also, see this thread on Cloudy nights:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3529784/Main/3527115

groz is using a 175mm f/l guide scope on a 2000mm C8 with excellent results - with a pixel scale ratio of 10:1.

Greg

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
      #5370717 - 08/15/12 09:16 PM

Holly Cow... I did not realize i caused that !! I am trully sorry.

I went back and deleted the link. All seems to be ok now.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: dmdouglass]
      #5370771 - 08/15/12 09:46 PM

I just picked up my LX80 from my local store today. I have it all set up in my living room. I tried to remind myself to buy the AC power supply while I was there but totally forgot. My wife went to Target to buy AA batteries so I can turn it on. Depending how my weekend goes I'll get a chance to do some testing. I already ran into one issue that I am waiting for feedback on before I go much further.

brokenwave
sage

Reged: 05/10/11

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5370843 - 08/15/12 10:48 PM

FYI,
Scope Stuff has a AC adapter for $33, Includes shipping.
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ps12.htm

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: LX80 RA Tracking new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5370853 - 08/15/12 10:59 PM

Quote:

I just picked up my LX80 from my local store today.

Congrats Michael; what became of your LX800? We all look forward to your LX80 guided images and more...

TALK2KEV
sage

Re: LX80 RA Tracking [Re: mmalik]
      #5371197 - 08/16/12 08:13 AM

Greg

Thanks for the info on Guide scopes. Need a break in this weather.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: LX80 RA Tracking [Re: brokenwave]
      #5371385 - 08/16/12 10:34 AM

Quote:

FYI,
Scope Stuff has a AC adapter for $33, Includes shipping.
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ps12.htm

Thanks for the link. I noticed they they are spec'd at 3.3 amp where the LX80 manual says the power supply port is 5 amp. I was thinking of hitting up radio shack later today to see what they have.

Pages: << 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | >> (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68214

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics